Lexus GX-460 or Hyundai Palisade experience/reviews?

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Any experience with the RX-350 (Lexus version of Highlander)? We’d likely go with FWD instead of AWD, for better mpg and to avoid transfer case issues. If it had comfy seats it may be an option that is familiar.

We’re looking at preowned for everything, 30-50k miles.

The 350 is smaller than the palisade. Palisade has a 3rd row. My wife has a ‘21 palisade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
My wife has the Rx 350, honestly it's been a fantastic vehicle in every way.
Was thinking about upgrading to a new one, but won't buy the new I-4 turbo engine which is in the '23+. Kicking around the GX 460, as we live on 21 miles of horrendous gravel and a mountain pass, but wasn't aware of the premium gas requirement.

EDIT...googled this, and many, many drivers use the 87 octane in the newer GX without any issues. We'd do the same.

Last edited:
My wife has the Rx 350, honestly it's been a fantastic vehicle in every way.
Was thinking about upgrading to a new one, but won't buy the new I-4 turbo engine which is in the '23+. Kicking around the GX 460, as we live on 21 miles of horrendous gravel and a mountain pass, but wasn't aware of the premium gas requirement.

EDIT...googled this, and many, many drivers use the 87 octane in the newer GX without any issues. We'd do the same.

What elevation are you at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thx for the feedback on the 350 fellas!

I see the 460 in “Luxury” trim comes with self leveling and driver adjustable air ride. If it works as well as my Ram’s system, that would be another huge benefit.

The other complicating factor that may kill any deal are interest rates. The note on the Highlander is at 2.3%. The best used rates right now are around 5.75% thx to our booming economy. Fudge…

kpk

WKR
Stay away from 460's in our area.....at least until I find one. There have been zero around me for sale and I've driven WAY more hours than I'd like to looking at used ones. Finding a clean one has been near impossible for me as it seems Lexus GX owners hit everything they possibly can with them. I've looked at several with clean carfax and no reports - only to get there and immediately see that entire front or rear ends have been repainted.

I've test drove several and like them quite a bit. How quiet they ride is pretty impressive. Plenty of room for small family and hunting dog, ability to tow anything I would need to, etc. The MPG is really the only con for me.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Stay away from 460's in our area.....at least until I find one. There have been zero around me for sale and I've driven WAY more hours than I'd like to looking at used ones. Finding a clean one has been near impossible for me as it seems Lexus GX owners hit everything they possibly can with them. I've looked at several with clean carfax and no reports - only to get there and immediately see that entire front or rear ends have been repainted.

I've test drove several and like them quite a bit. How quiet they ride is pretty impressive. Plenty of room for small family and hunting dog, ability to tow anything I would need to, etc. The MPG is really the only con for me.
Thank you for the note on the damage. I've actually found quite a few on car gurus, and several local. However, there are very few in the luxury trim, and if I'm going to sacrifice the mpg, I at least want the options that interest me re: air ride.

One other interesting thing I noticed after looking at a few this weekend, many if not most, have that vinyl cover over the front end that extends about 25-30% up the hood. Do they come from the factory with this? I suppose this is to prevent rock chips.

fwafwow

WKR
Following. I’m leaning too towards the GX after a similar thread of mine about an SUV that drives more comfortably than our GMC Yukon XL. I like the look of the 2024, but the Mrs’ first impression was negative on the looks (“too boxy”). Although this would be “her” vehicle, I’m still confident we can get there - but it sounds like I’ve got some time.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Following. I’m leaning too towards the GX after a similar thread of mine about an SUV that drives more comfortably than our GMC Yukon XL. I like the look of the 2024, but the Mrs’ first impression was negative on the looks (“too boxy”). Although this would be “her” vehicle, I’m still confident we can get there - but it sounds like I’ve got some time.
Sounds like my wife when I found a sweet looking 2023 Buick Enclave Essence that was all blacked out and cool looking.

"That looks like a damn soccer mom Chevy Traverse. We might as well get a minivan." LMAO!!!

EDIT: I should add that my wife's previous vehicles were a '17 Grabber Blue California Special Mustang 5.0, and a '19 red and black Toyota Avalon TRD. Thus the reason for the Highlander XSE that had some "cool" factor.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a Lexus or Toyota. Wife drives a Lexus, I drive a Tundra. I am on my third Toyota pickup and the second Lexus for my wife. We have had Zero issues. I will take the reliability, longevity, and resale value of a Toyota/Lexus over a Hyundai every time.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
We just use 87 in our 2017 GX and have no issues, some friends with the same rig see a slightly higher MPG (may 1-1.5) with 91.....which certainly doesn't offset the extra per gallon cost.
I just ran some numbers quick. On a 2000 mile round trip, the cost difference between RX350 @27 and the 460 @19, is around $110 @$3.609. Obviously that will fluctuate with gas prices. However, my comfort is way more valuable than $100.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Just for $hits and giggles, I checked out preowned 4Runner Limited prices. The 460 is the hopped up version of the 4Runner anyways, but they are more or less the same price with comparable year and miles. Crazy!

Marshfly

WKR
Just for $hits and giggles, I checked out preowned 4Runner Limited prices. The 460 is the hopped up version of the 4Runner anyways, but they are more or less the same price with comparable year and miles. Crazy!

Have you sat in a current 4runner?

Talk about terrible seats. Good lord. Like toy car seats.

You like the comfort of the Ram. Buy a Grand Cherokee or Durango. Mid 20s mileage with the V6 and the same comfort as your Ram.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Have you sat in a current 4runner?

Talk about terrible seats. Good lord. Like toy car seats.

You like the comfort of the Ram. Buy a Grand Cherokee or Durango. Mid 20s mileage with the V6 and the same comfort as your Ram.

We owned a 2010 and a 2015 4Runner. Haven’t sat in anything more recent, and looking to drive a 460 soon to see if Lexus added comfort. We’ll see!

slvrslngr

WKR
An alternative would be to have the seats refoamed by someone that knows what they’re doing. Just a thought.