Leupold Wind River 10X42

MikeJ1970

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with these binoculars? I've done an extensive search on here as well as online and can't find much on them. I found a used pair for a decent price so I am wondering what current models they would compare to?

I'm trying to get geared up for when I do eventually get drawn for a Wyoming archery mule deer hunt. I was originally budgeting $300, but after extensive research on here I think I am going to bump it up to $500 and wait for something in that class to go on sale (I know a few on my list currently are) . I have an extensive list that includes the following all in 10X42:

Athlon Midas G2
Athlon Cronus G2
Meopta Optika HD
Kowa BD II
GPO Passion ED
Steiner Predator
Leupold BX-4
Meopta Meopro.

From what I've read on here, I don't think I can go wrong with any of these, but right now my head is spinning from all of the research. There's not much out there for reviews on the Steiner so any info on that would be appreciated also.

Mike J

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
Not sure how to edit my post, but I forgot to add that I would like to narrow my list down to three before I call Doug at Cameraland.

nobody

WKR
My grandpa has a pair of these he picked up back in the mid 2000's. They're ok glass, he paid much more for them back then than they would retail for in today's world. They're comparable to most $150-$200 binos on the market. They're solid, covered by Leupold's lifetime warranty, but they're nothing to get to stoked over unless you're getting them for incredibly cheap. How good of a price are you finding them for?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Meopta/BX-4/Kowa would be my final 3.

I had a pair of the wind river your asking about, not near as good as any of the above 3.

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
Thanks for the prompt responses. I found the Wind River's for $125, so from your responses they are probably not what I am looking for so I will pass.

Curious how you guys narrow down your choices with all of the great binos that are out there? I'm sure from my list I will get 10 different answers from 10 different people on which three they would narrow it down to. When comparing models in the same price range, I can't imagine there is much of a difference between them so it comes down to what works best for you. I've read on here that some guys will buy several pairs and compare them and return the ones they don't like so I suppose that might be the route I need to take.

Mike J

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the prompt responses. I found the Wind River's for $125, so from your responses they are probably not what I am looking for so I will pass.

Curious how you guys narrow down your choices with all of the great binos that are out there? I'm sure from my list I will get 10 different answers from 10 different people on which three they would narrow it down to. When comparing models in the same price range, I can't imagine there is much of a difference between them so it comes down to what works best for you. I've read on here that some guys will buy several pairs and compare them and return the ones they don't like so I suppose that might be the route I need to take.

Mike J
Biggest things when comparing binos of similar price brackets are facial ergonomics and viewing pleasure. Both require you to physically test each binocular. Go to dealers and try them out, order from companies with return policies that will let you test them a bit and return them if you hate them.

The facial ergonomics are something that I don't think people talk about enough, but they're real. It's one of the biggest reasons I hate Leupold binoculars. Their squared off, chunky eye cups don't fit my face at all and don't allow me to look through them comfortably. They suck (for my facial structure), and you couldn't gift me a pair if you tried to force them on me. But I know lots of guys on this forum and others really love the BX-4's for a good balance of price to performance. But it doesn't matter how much they like them, I'll never own a pair because they suck for my face.

Viewing pleasure is also very personal. I'm a perfect example of an extreme case, but the way my eyes see color makes it to where I HATE Swaro glass. Yet reading online means I should be forking out stupid piles of money for Swaro's. I never will, because to my eyes (and oddly enough, my dad's as well) they cast a green hue over the entire field of view. Again, you couldn't gift me a pair even if you tried to force them on me. So instead, I "sacrilegiously" run Vortex Razor UHD's. Doesn't matter if the peanut gallery thinks I'm nuts, because to my eyes and for my viewing pleasure, they're head and shoulders above Swarovski (yes, including the NL Pure's), without question.

Glass is all personal. There are general rules of thumb to follow (don't compare a $150 pair to a $3k pair, things like that), but overall you need to get off the internet, get some binos in hand, compare them, and then buy what your eyes tell you to buy. It's the reason there's tons of optics companies out there and all of them are successful, because everybody's stuff works for somebody out there.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure how to edit my post, but I forgot to add that I would like to narrow my list down to three before I call Doug at Cameraland.
Always glad to discuss things, have you continue your research and reach out again. We are not here to just sell product, we are here to assist with product knowledge

The wind rivers were junk, I would avoid them. If it absolutely has to be a cheap pair the BX1’s aren’t bad for sub $150.

I’d spend the $$ for the BX4’s though.

Biggest things when comparing binos of similar price brackets are facial ergonomics and viewing pleasure. Both require you to physically test each binocular. Go to dealers and try them out, order from companies with return policies that will let you test them a bit and return them if you hate them.

The facial ergonomics are something that I don't think people talk about enough, but they're real. It's one of the biggest reasons I hate Leupold binoculars. Their squared off, chunky eye cups don't fit my face at all and don't allow me to look through them comfortably. They suck (for my facial structure), and you couldn't gift me a pair if you tried to force them on me. But I know lots of guys on this forum and others really love the BX-4's for a good balance of price to performance. But it doesn't matter how much they like them, I'll never own a pair because they suck for my face.

Viewing pleasure is also very personal. I'm a perfect example of an extreme case, but the way my eyes see color makes it to where I HATE Swaro glass. Yet reading online means I should be forking out stupid piles of money for Swaro's. I never will, because to my eyes (and oddly enough, my dad's as well) they cast a green hue over the entire field of view. Again, you couldn't gift me a pair even if you tried to force them on me. So instead, I "sacrilegiously" run Vortex Razor UHD's. Doesn't matter if the peanut gallery thinks I'm nuts, because to my eyes and for my viewing pleasure, they're head and shoulders above Swarovski (yes, including the NL Pure's), without question.

Glass is all personal. There are general rules of thumb to follow (don't compare a $150 pair to a $3k pair, things like that), but overall you need to get off the internet, get some binos in hand, compare them, and then buy what your eyes tell you to buy. It's the reason there's tons of optics companies out there and all of them are successful, because everybody's stuff works for somebody out there.

This really is a solid message.
Binoculars are very subjective.
Your eyes will tell you what to buy.

Nobody's post should be a sticky for optics.

cytherian

FNG
Athlon Midas G2
Athlon Cronus G2
Meopta Optika HD
Kowa BD II
GPO Passion ED
Steiner Predator
Leupold BX-4
Meopta Meopro.
Your list is very similar to mine. I own some lower tier Nikon binos that I really like. So my first look was at the ProStaff range, which quickly switched up to the Monarchs. I was going to go with the M5, but the M7 tugged at me. Still, my blood wasn't ready for the price. I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of Athlon Midas G2's for $260. Looked like an excellent deal. I almost went with those... but a little voice told me to keep going. Looking up Japanese brands (I've long been a Nikon product owner), I learned about Kowa and saw some impressive reviews. Next, saw the famous 26 model Backwood Pursuit shootout and then suddenly I had the Athlon Cronus G2 in my sights (they weren't all that happy with the Kowa BD-II XD's). I don't know, something about the Cronus aesthetic didn't really win me over. The Kowa BD-II's are beautiful. The Leupold BX-4's aren't quite as nice, but they ranked higher. Meopta has many good reviews, but some mixed that had me wondering. Then... I circled back to Nikon. The original list price of the M7 was out of my budget, but I was amazed to see how low it can go used, or even new at a discount.

I've been to some stores to look at binoculars, but they were department stores where you couldn't take the bino outside. And that really blows. I was thinking for my next trip to Long Island to add on a few hours to go check out Camera Land NY. Doug seems like a real stand-up guy. And there you can actually go outside and look around to see a bino in action with sunlight. If you don't have a time crunch on this, it may make sense to do a "buy and try," with vendors that allow returns. This saves the hassle of having to travel around to stores.

cytherian

FNG
This really is a solid message.
Binoculars are very subjective.
Your eyes will tell you what to buy.

Nobody's post should be a sticky for optics.
That's the kicker that makes selecting binos so difficult. One man's edge-to-edge clarity is an eyesore, while negligible for the next man.

The best reviewer I've seen so far has been Optica Exotica, because he has the camera gear to actually do very good video recordings of what you see through the bino lens system. It's super helpful when doing a direct compare between 2 models. He did it between the Monarch M5 and M7... the M7's won out. Then he did the M7 to the HG... and yeah, the HG won out. You could really see the color saturation, chromatic aberration degree, and edge-to-edge clarity differences. But the HG is $500 more than the M7 at full retail.

But as with any tool... if you use it daily? Make it the best. Splurge. It's worth it. Because every time you pick up that tool, you'll be reminded of the quality.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a pair of the Pinnacles for years. They were 8x42 and they were far from junk. Some of the other Leupolds were a step down however. At the time they were mid tier and covered by Leupold-I sent them in for repair and paid zero. The thing I liked about them was the eye cups let me get a solid seal preventing light from interfering with the view. I wish I could get that same fit on new binds I have from Kowa and Tract.

If I had to go back to them I would certainly miss the clarity of my current binos but the Leupold Pinnacles were good stuff for me for years. I would not hesitate to recommend them as a low price bino for someone with limited funds even knowing they are nowhere near as sharp as today's glass.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've had a pair for EVER. They've hunted AK,MT,ID,NM,TX
and all over the SE.
No complaints whatsoever.

49ereric

WKR
I’ve had 2 sets since the mid 90’s. the wife and I‘ve liked them but to strong for the woods. Had to warranty 1 set and got the BX-1 replacement and they seem cheap but the glass is slightly better. The wife is still using her wind river set. We never had high end glass though.

grfox92

WKR
I'm surprised no one has mentioned them but in that price range Maven c.1 seem to be the best.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
I'm surprised no one has mentioned them but in that price range Maven c.1 seem to be the best.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I think I never gave them a serious look because of where they ranked in the 26 binocular review by Backwoods Pursuit. Right now I am leaning towards the Meopta Optika just because I haven't been able to discern any difference between them and anything else under $500 that I have compared them too. I will definitely give the C.1's consideration., but it's tough to choose a bino without getting my hands and eyes on them first.

Has anyone ever had the opportunity to compare the Optika to the C.1? From all of the research and reading I have done, my biggest concern is eye strain from all day glassing. Low light capabilities is another consideration, but I don't know if it really matters in an archery spot and stalk situation.

Do Maven products ever go on-sale? If so then they may move into my top two.

Mike J

Exactly true everything you say. Myself for example can't gel with any Vortex binos because the colors look very muted and dull to me and somewhat gray. A few days ago I compared my Midas G2 8x42 to the Razor UHD and noticed the razor colors are muted and not true to life compared to the Midas.