Leupold Mark 4 HD 6-24x52…drop test

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Looking at the Leupold website, the FFP TMR 2.5-10 that HAS illumination looks to have a .1mil center dot and .1mil inner reticle thickness, similar to the Maven SHR-Mil. Anyone have the illuminated version in hand to confirm this?

The non-illum 2.5-10 TMR FFP shows a .05 thick reticle and no inner dot.
The above pics from @ChrisAU indicates it is indeed thicker than the non-illuminated and you can see in the pic that it does also have a center dot.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Looking at the Leupold website, the FFP TMR 2.5-10 that HAS illumination looks to have a .1mil center dot and .1mil inner reticle thickness, similar to the Maven SHR-Mil. Anyone have the illuminated version in hand to confirm this?

The non-illum 2.5-10 TMR FFP shows a .05 thick reticle and no inner dot.
It's become clear that you are correct. I bought the non-illum because it's a better value proposition vs the Maven RS 1.2, not realizing that the reticle would be so challenging. As you state, the Illuminated version of this reticle as a .1 center dot instead of a .1 center gap, furthermore it has thicker stadia. I may have to buy one. Ugh.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 4.41.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-23 at 4.41.25 PM.png

-J

Marshfly

WKR
Well. Dammit. I was going to go with the non-illum version if this thing held up. I really like reticles that have that little dot. The old SWFA 6x MOA I had was like that. The Mil is not. I liked the MOA reticle better because of it.

RWT

WKR
The dot in a box is a great reticle. I find it much easier to use than the standard cross hair.

Reactions: NSI

Mrwoodard

FNG
I have two of the 2.5-10x42 ffp tmr non illuminated scopes. I use a diamond at 100 yards and aim at the tip with the open reticle. I have shot some pretty tight groups with this method. I really like this reticle for hunting.

Reactions: NSI

DWro17

Lil-Rokslider
2.5-10 passed the drop test tonight. I’ll upload more later. Liking it much more than I expected to.

You’ll see 1-2” of maximum worst case scenario parallax error at 100 yards. At 500 yards a 2-300 setting will do you fine. It’s a bit funny. This is really just a 100 yard zero issue. You can easily see the shift for yourself with the head shake test.

-J
For better or worse, the 2.5-10 lacks parallax adjustment. One way to ensure there's no error, though it's a bit janky, is to back your head up until there's a slight black ring, and center that black ring in the scope tube.

-J
I noticed the 2-5-10 doesn’t have an adjustable parallax, did this bother you at all?

Good point on parallax, you’d think with a scope meant to dial and shoot far would have parallax adjustment

Looks like it’s set at 150 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the numbers on the max parallax error with that 2-10x42. Not sure I could see a difference at 700 yards

2cdd454890a01f89bd694ccf3eb9127c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah, about a tenth max at 100 and 2 tenths max at 700. It's not ideal but it's probably not material. When I zero a scope like this, I back my eye up to center the black ring which eliminates the error entirely (at the expense of some complexity).

I'm not loving the idea of spending another grand, but I do really want to test the center-dot reticle. Does anyone here want the scope I dropped?

-J

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Figured it was about time I did an update on this. The scope has since been moved to my 22GT and since zero’ing it’s seen about another 200ish rounds or so and has bounced around in my truck a fair bit. Here’s a 20 shotter, 10-12 off a bipod and heavy rear bag the other 8-10 were over my pack and lightweight rear bag. I think I may hunt with this scope. Unless it fails between now and rifle season in a few weeks. Then I checked dope again at 605. First one was left and a hair low, held about .2 right and fired 3 more. Still a little low, dialed another .1 elevation and got a more centered impact, orange circle is 4.5”. Excuse the crappy pic, took it from a poor quality video.
IMG_9080.jpeg
IMG_9081.jpeg
IMG_9079.jpeg