Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD VS others

SURVEYOR

FNG
I need a spotting scope. Not an 85mm spotting scope but something 65mm and under, somewhat packable, good eye relief, relatively easy to get behind with above average glass. I also like the idea of having a reticle for calling shots with my kids and being able to put a phone scope or comparable adapter on it. I find game with my Meopta 10's and 15x56's but keep wanting a little more power without a ton of weight. Id like to keep it under $1500. I know the Meostar's, Swarovski KOWA's etc. are better glass but most are heavier, bulkier and way more money. I did get to spend about 5 minutes looking at the new mini razor and a 65mm razor but it was inside under lights so i really have no idea about the optics but I am pretty happy with my VX5 and VX6 glass and hoping that the Leupy will be comparable or better ?
I should also say that I have very little time behind any quality spotters and to my knowledge there really isn't anywhere near my home in central TX to get a good lowlight look through one.

Thanks in advance

KU_Geo

WKR
I have used the leupold quite a bit and found it to be a handy piece of equipment. Decent glass, wonderful eye relief, relatively light and compact size make it very useful for carrying when I didn’t need the best glass. If you are trying to count rings on sheep or judge a 185 vs 190 mule deer, you’ll be disappointed. But I view it as a good general purpose western hunting spotter.

I eventually sold it as upgraded to a Swaro as I have been doing more sheep hunting. But sometimes I wish I had the lighter compact leupold when elk or deer hunting here in CO.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I had one for a few years. Liked everything except the very difficult to adjust zoom and focus. It was nearly impossible for me to stay on target and adjust either.

I could have had a bad sample, I even sent it on but came back the same.

I’ve compared a ton of spotters since then and sometimes wish I had it in the mix to compare. I have a swaro now and think it’s a good blend of size, weight, resolution, cost.

One just hit the classifieds for $1850. Be tough to beat.

tracker12

WKR
Be patient and look for a used Swarovski non HD. They can be had for 1200-1400 and it will be far and away better than the Leupold. I sold my Swaro cause I didn’t use it much. Then when I did I wish I still had it. In the last few months I have been shopping around, researching and looking thru as many as I can. I almost bought a Vortex razor but just couldn’t bring myself to buy budget glass. I found a used Swaro 65 in like new condition this week. This one won’t be going anywhere. I made that mistake before.