Leupold catching on? Impact testing? Huh?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You know, I noticed the same exact thing the other day. I’m not sure how long they’ve claimed that, but it’s interesting…..

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is this something new?

No. They’re talking about “shake” machines.

Yes Leupold as with most major manufacturers has actually machines to scientifically test impacts. Not some backwoods methods eyeballing a height with a gun that can rotate on the fall and so forth.

Once again, I offer you the opportunity with the owner of this site present and video cameras running uninterrupted to show how “backwoods” what we’re doing is. You bad mouth and talk shit, yet are unwilling to show up and prove how stupid we are. Why?

Per Leupold...

IMPACT TESTED + VERIFIED

Each scope design has to survive 5,000 impacts on the Punisher, Leupold’s recoil simulation machine. The force of each impact is 3x the recoil of a .308 rifle. If the scope doesn’t perform in any way during the tests, we make adjustments to the design and test it again.

This has nothing to do with actual impacts that mere mortals tend to experience while hunting (outside of the actual shot).

MattB

WKR

Once again, I offer you the opportunity with the owner of this site present and video cameras running uninterrupted to show how “backwoods” what we’re doing is. You bad mouth and talk shit, yet are unwilling to show up and prove how stupid we are. Why?
Probably too far to ride his bike…

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yes Leupold as with most major manufacturers has actually machines to scientifically test impacts. Not some backwoods methods eyeballing a height with a gun that can rotate on the fall and so forth.

So its a bad idea to drop the scope with a gun on it?
I didnt know I was supposed to take my scope off my gun before I slipped and dropped it.
Thanks bud I had no idea I was doing it wrong all along.

It’s completely non scientific and actual optic engineers have stated that any optic could fail that test.

2531usmc

WKR
They are referring to a “vibration table” which is a standard test methodology to test impact and vibration testing in a scientific and controlled manner. Vibration tables are standard test methodologies in both defense and commercial application.

what it does is test in a controlled and statistically valid process. That way, once a bad design is identified a fix can be implemented and verified. These processes all are based on statisticlily significant data.

simply dropping random rifles from random heights provides random data. No real engineering processes can be derived from random data.

To cut to the chase, Leuphold is simply doing this in a controlled manner

They are referring to a “vibration table” which is a standard test methodology to test impact and vibration testing in a scientific and controlled manner. Vibration tables are standard test methodologies in both defense and commercial application.

what it does is test in a controlled and statistically valid process. That way, once a bad design is identified a fix can be implemented and verified. These processes all are based on statisticlily significant data.

simply dropping random rifles from random heights provides random data. No real engineering processes can be derived from random data.

@Formidilosus may need to take a page from Pew Pew and start shooting the scopes with .22 rat shot, #9 .410 bird shot, #7.5 12 gauge bird shot, and 22 LR gr to really test their resilience to side impacts. That'll get some folks delicates knotted up.

Their impact testing is for their design criteria of holding up during recoil. A shaker table can probably recreate the issues the drop test finds, but you have to shake in more than just the long axis direction. Also, you need to do some checks after a single shake in each direction to be able to pick out those shifts/stick/unstick errors that pop up in some reviews. And then you have to actually do something about the design when they do shift.

As a regular dude, I have way more access to gravity and dirt than I do to a shaker table, so drops it is.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It’s completely non scientific and actual optic engineers have stated that any optic could fail that test.

You mean optic engineers that shoot less rounds in a year than some will shoot this week? Or one that makes statements about how great scopes are with a couple hundred rounds from a bench?

I will bet you $5,000 that we can go to any outdoor store and you can buy a NF NXS, I’ll mount it on my rifle, zero it, you can drop it per the stated eval, I’ll shoot it, and it will hold zero.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

That is measuring zero retention how? Please be specific.

What? Every single thing that is used, must be used and “tested” outside the lab to see if lab conditions and tests match or exceed real world use. There absolutely nothing being done with a “vibration table” that is measuring or in anyway looking at the reticles relation to a bore while “vibrated”.

Leupold is not doing anything to test zero retention.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Ok but hunters don’t really shake scopes. And scopes holding up to recoil should be a given. I agree with the need for a controlled environment and statistically significant n values. All that is fine, but do that with tests that matter! Drops happen. So test for them and proof mechanics against them. It’s that simple.