Leupold catching on? Impact testing? Huh?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is hilarious! Freaking cardboard boxes have a standardized test for drop durability, but scopes don’t! And worse yet, the riflescope industry runs and hides from such testing.

No, no, you guys don’t understand- we can send people to space, but an aiming device can’t be dropped three feet onto a padded mat consistently. The engineering is sooo overwhelming.

2531usmc

WKR
That is measuring zero retention how? Please be specific.

What? Every single thing that is used, must be used and “tested” outside the lab to see if lab conditions and tests match or exceed real world use. There absolutely nothing being done with a “vibration table” that is measuring or in anyway looking at the reticles relation to a bore while “vibrated”.

Leupold is not doing anything to test zero retention.
The Leupold statement tells us that they are testing zero retention. 5000 impacts at a g force of three times that of a 308 Winchester Recoil. Full quality control and quality assurance before and after.

leupold is telling us that they are using industry standard quality processes to provide a high quality process.

this is simply how things are done in very professional engineering organizations

schmalzy

WKR
The Leupold statement tells us that they are testing zero retention. 5000 impacts at a g force of three times that of a 308 Winchester Recoil. Full quality control and quality assurance before and after.

leupold is telling us that they are using industry standard quality processes to provide a high quality process.

this is simply how things are done in very professional engineering organizations

Your experience with “very professional engineering organizations” must be better than mine!

Still not sure how the above relates to zero retention though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Haha. So it tells me that my scope is designed to work under entirely normal and expected conditions. That’s comforting. And that’s all we should expect huh?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No, they are not. How are they measuring zero retention in this?

sndmn11

WKR

They are not testing zero retention, they are just seeing if it breaks. There have been few scopes that break during the drop testing, but many that don't retain zero.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Do you know this for sure?
Do you work for an optics company?
What is your job there?
If you do will you send some scopes in for testing?
Put your money where your mouth is per se.

JGRaider

WKR
Does anyone have a link to what Koshkin said about these drop tests, etc? I think he's an opical engineer if I'm not mistaken. I find them interesting personally but not something I'd "test" personally.

Flyjunky

WKR

I was researching scopes for over 8 months while I was waiting for my rifle to be finished. I was really, really wanting to buy a Mk5 because it has every quality I wanted in a scope but ended up with a NF because I simply couldn’t trust it.

I honestly believe Leupold could put a serious hurt on the market in the under $2500 segment if they could simply make their dialing scopes more durable.

Maybe they sell so many other scopes that their reputation in the “dialing” market doesn’t matter to them. Although with more and more people getting into longer range hunting/shooting I think it will come back to bite them. For many people on this forum and others they are considered black listed as is easily seen in hundreds of posts. Those posts will be read by many who are researching.

gbflyer

WKR
Glad NASA engineers heard about a drop test. Hint: real life simulation, not just a device to generate a bunch of statistics that only the statisticians understand:

In the military we do two basic types of testing:

(1) developmental testing where engineers see if the weapon system meets all the specs

(2) operational testing where the actual user in an operational environment sees if it’s suitable (doesn’t break where he uses it), effective (gets the job done), sustainable (can be kept working). This also includes live fire test and evaluation to confirm lethality (disables/disrupts enemy capability) and survivability (doesn’t get disabled/disrupted)

It’s totally conceivable that we develop something that meets all specs but the operator rejects as useless.

Perhaps the optics companies are doing DT&E but not OT&E

MattB

WKR

And yet those very scopes have a demonstrated tendency to lose zero when jostled in a different direction. Perhaps the industry is testing the wrong thing? I get that they would want to simulate recoil, but that isn't the only force a scope is subject to under field conditions. Tests that are much less scientific have validated at an anecdotal level which scopes hold zero and which don't - and the Leupold zero retention test clearly doesn't.

One thing that has always struck me as queer is that many rifle scopes will fail when mounted on certain types of air rifles because their recoil comes from a different direction than a rimfire/centerfire weapons. That recoil force is minimal in comparison to rimfire/centerfire weapons - and vastly less than some drop tests - and yet the same scopes that pass the manufacturer "recoil" test fail quickly under use on air rifles.

It is like the testing mode is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I will bet you $5,000 that we can go to any outdoor store and you can buy a NF NXS, I’ll mount it on my rifle, zero it, you can drop it per the stated eval, I’ll shoot it, and it will hold zero.

I tried to search but didn’t see. Have you tried the drop test with an NX8 by chance?