Lets talk effective range...

Intruder

FNG
As someone who's experience failure & murphy rearing his ugly head and then had to live gut wrenching realization of a lost bull here a a few points that represent my ethos now:

1. Regardless of how far you feel comfortable shooting on the practice range establish a hard limit in the field that is much closer than what it is on the range.... for me that's 40 yards unless we're talking a follow up shot. Part of this is for the animal and part of this is because I personally believe archey is more about the how than the filling of the tag. That to me translates into as close as possible.
2. Practice, practice, practice; as much as possible & out as far a possible and become proficient at 50, 60, 70....100. Then go back and see point 1 above.
3. See point 2 above.

In all fairness my own failures were not a result of shooting too far but probably more lack of practrice... failure to excecute at the moment of truth. It seems to me that there is a large population of folks out there that are guilty of both inadequate practice and over estimating their true max hunting range.

I've killed three animals with my bow. 1 doe, 1 buck, and 1 bull. 25, 57, 67. I have held off at 45 yards but if the situation/animal is prime I'll shoot to 70 yds. Here's a group I just put down at 90 yards 15 minutes ago. About 8" and would be under 5" had I not pulled one. 2nd time shooting this spring and I'll be shooting 3-5 times a week from here till Sept.
2enygaje.jpg

I know guys on here are killing animals at 80-90 yards which is fine if you can do it! I only have a 70 yard pin, that helps keep me honest in the field :)

Mike