Let’s talk cordage

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what kind of cordage everyone carries with them. I pretty much always have some 550 Paracord in my pack, whether I’m day hunting or backpacking. Comes in handy for hanging food bags and quarters and plenty of other uses. Probably don’t really need 550 pounds of strength but it’s what I’m familiar with.

What kind of cordage do you carry?
Do you carry something different on a day hunt than on a backpack hunt?
Where do you buy it?

Mag_7s

WKR
I've been considering reflective 3mm guy line. I think the tensile strength is around 200 lbs if I'm not mistaken. I can pack more length for the same amount of weight.

Mag_7s

WKR
Weight of the 550 cord I'm currently packing. Forgot to throw that in there.

550 cord, ended up with 3 rolls of the stuff after I got out so I just keep using it til I run out

High viz 2mm dynema. Not a clue what the weight rating is but it’s thin, light and tough. Worked excellent for guy lines on my tent and for hanging deer quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
I carry a butt load of cordage from lawson equipment. Great stuff its thin very light and strong as hell. West marine carries a plethora of pulleys to meet your needs for pulling and lifting. I carry thicker cordage for really heavy loads to protect my hands.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Some standard 550 cord or 2.5mm guy line and Samson zing-it line. Zing-it is 2.2mm and has something like 650lb rating. It's dyneema and used as a throw line in arborist work as well as for hammocking.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Ironwwire from lawsons equipment. Strong and made in the US.

I have some of that iron wire from Lawsons. It works fine And doesn’t absorb as much water as 550.

Depending on the trip I may have:

- 2mm guy line, about 15-20 feet
- reflective 550 in my kill kit that does double duty when field dressing or hanging Food/game bags.
- 50-100 feet of 550 on my pack.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone every try the Emma Kites UHMWPE cord? Seems like pretty strong stuff while still being lightweight?

Dented

WKR
200 feet of 550 in my vehicle, 30 feet in my chest pack. I've never needed more.

I have noted that most of you have a fixation on cheap and lite. I carry 25 ft of 1/4 " hemp for dragging and hanging meat on saddles. I keep a number of 10 ft chunks of parachord in my pack for construction.

If you really are focused on light and cheap, consider baling twine. Any rancher will give you as much as you would ever like. You could buy a 10 lifetime supply supply for $40. The strength is 200-500 psi. It won't rot or fray.