Let's talk camo for turkey

xcutter

WKR
What is your favorite camo pattern for hunting turkey? I'm in Indiana and I hunt Kentucky every year. My favorite seems to be Mossy Oak Obsession. I tried my Sitka Elevated Forest last year with success also.

I just ordered some First Lite in Max1. Hopefully it will work well. Anyone have any experience with this camo pattern?

Eagle

WKR
I've always worn ASAT, but most of the die hard guys I know are devout followers of the MO Bottomland pattern for turkeys. It does blend in with a tree trunk incredibly well, and they are extremely successful with the pattern.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I don't think it matters. Move slowly and hold still when they're coming in to your setup. My son loves his ASAT 3d leafy suit and I'd agree it virtually makes him invisible to game. I use whatever and don't give it much of a thought. I'm sure your chosen pattern will be effective.

I use predator green and brown deception. Last year I sat a treestand and watched birds come into my decoy setup. That worked really well.

woods89

WKR
I have a leafy top in Max-1. I really like the mixture of light and dark colors as I feel it keeps me from looking like a dark blob like a lot of popular patterns.

With turkeys the main thing is not to move when you can see his head and to have something behind you to break up your outline. My dad has a bunch of really old camo and most years fills two turkey tags here in MO. But he learned a long time ago when not to move!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really have a go to camo but I do try and incorporate some green in the latter part of the season. Seems things get green fast during our turkey season. Last bird I got -I was wearing Vias shirt and hat and Cabelas outfitter pants in gray/green.

I believe almost any camo will work and NONE will work if you are not very still when turkeys are close. I am amazed at the small bits of movement they can spot.

Attachments

• 0401151016.jpg
    0401151016.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 38

Jimss

WKR
I usually bring a stack of camo colors/patterns and set them out where I'll be hunting. The ones that blend in the best that particular time of year is what I grab. Sometimes it may be snow...if there is snow....etc! One thing to keep in mind is it is a pretty good idea to get rid of the human outline! For me, that means picking different camo patterns on my tops compared to bottoms.

I think movement is the most critical element. I generally archery hunt from ground blinds but have also taken them from the ground with shotgun in various camo patterns. Can't say one was any better than any other.

Last fall I took two archery birds from a tree stand while deer hunting. Usually I'm busted every time when trying to draw or get in position. But this was my day. Shot two within minutes of each other. Heard them in the trees and still had an elk diaphragm in my bino pouch and pulled it out and began softly calling to them. They came in and I was patient and didn't move a bit until they lost interest and began feeding their way away from me. Watching and waiting for my opportunity to draw. I got drawn without alarming the flock and took the first bird without her knowing I was there! She went 5 yards and died. The scene drew every other bird in the flock over to where she died and began pecking at her and making a ruckus. I couldn't get another shot on a second bird where they were at due to brush and trees. But think I could have easily got another one with the distraction.

The noise of that flock piqued the curiosity of a second flock that must have been 150 yards away in the trees. They came running in. They made it to about 30 yards of the first flock while in the trees and then a hen fight broke out from within the second flock. The noise level was something like I had never experienced before! It was chaos with birds fighting and running around everywhere. At that point I still didn't have any openings for a shot at one with them in the trees. With the insane, almost deafening, noise level of those first two flocks, it drew in a third flock from who knows how far away. I had never seen so many birds in one area at any one time! Maybe 80-100 birds! As the fight began to wind down in the second flock, a couple birds broke away and began walking towards the third flock, which brought them out into the open in front of my stand. That's where I got drawn and took my second bird at 44 yards. Man was it exciting!! I will remember that for a long time! Not sure I will experience something like that again.

As far as the camo, I think I had Kuiu Vias pants and a First Lite Max-1 top but think I had my ASAT Puffy jacket over it at the time. So I was a real camo mismatch mess. lol

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
I agree it doesn't seem to make much difference which camo you wear. It's all about knowing when to move and not move. But on occasion I have hunted those old long spurred Tom's that can pick you out without any movement.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Even when hunting with a bow without a ground blind it seems camo doesnt really seem to matter and as mentioned its all about the movement. The best to my eyes seems to be the Kings Desert or Mountain shadow. I typically just go with whatever I have for deer hunting except I will always use a face shield/face paint and gloves. Those SA Shields are very comfortable and cheap. I love using them for deer and turkey hunting.

woods89

WKR
I'd like to echo the face paint/mask and gloves. You could be wearing the best camo in the world and if they aren't covered up you can get picked off. A lot of people don't realize just how much your skin shines in the sunlight.

boom

WKR
My old brown lost camo blind looks so out of place in the green field I hunt.

I'm 100% so far. I don't thinks it matters. My blind just doesn't move. And it hides my chattering teeth movement.

If I find myself leaning against a tree. Predator green with my Sitka mimicry top. I barely match.

boom

WKR
I'd like to echo the face paint/mask and gloves. You could be wearing the best camo in the world and if they aren't covered up you can get picked off. A lot of people don't realize just how much your skin shines in the sunlight.

And cover up your wristwatch.

Will_m

WKR
I've also noticed some of the camo patterns on guns will catch sunlight and glare pretty badly.