Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. It was designed to be my do it all setup. Light enough to carry but heavy enough to be comfortable.

Rifle and Scope
View attachment 547751

Fully set up with bipod and 3 rounds.
View attachment 547752
This is exactly what I want to do next. I plan to shoot 200 grain monos. What twist did you wind up with? What magazine? How is it feeding and shooting? I'm thinking of doing a 1:9 twist maybe a a 1:9.5 and pairing it with mountain tactical LA mags or hells canyon mags.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 1:9.5 twist. I’m planning on shooting 200 grain bullets, but not monos (don’t like them). I have a Hells Canyon mag in it. It feeds and cycles well. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Pictures below. I compared with the factory VG grip on and the normal.

With the VG grip on, the sporter stocky model is a bit longer to the trigger.

With the std grip on, they are very close (within 1/4” or so).

I lined up the BM inlets to make sure we were comparing apples to apples.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the comparison! The difference does look significant

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 1:9.5 twist. I’m planning on shooting 200 grain bullets, but not monos (don’t like them). I have a Hells Canyon mag in it. It feeds and cycles well. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Maybe this weekend.
Why did you go with the 1:9.5? Did the barrel maker have input?

Picked up some tikka pieces for a semi-custom build. Magnum action gets out of jail today and then off to a gunsmith tomorrow. Bought a 300 WM barrel in the new 1.10 twist. Planning to cut it down to 19 in and thread it for a break. Goal is a shorty that can stabilize 200 grain plus bullets.

KMF

FNG
Here's my first semi custom tikka It started its life as a blued t3x 300 win mag. I just got in all the parts and finished last week so I was able to get out to the range this weekend and try some handloads as this was my first time handloading so just to get some experience and some rounds down the barrel. w3gTtk9foaeBkkWX7TpfG.pngimage_50446593.JPG

Full build list
Tikka T3X lite Action and Stock with sponge paint job
Limbsaver Recoil Pad
Tikka Aftermarket pistol grip
Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail
Mountain Tactical Arca rail
Seekins Medium 30 mm rings
Trijicon Credo 4-16 Mrad Center dot red illum
Proof Research Tikka Prefit 300 wm with Area 419 Brake
Weight is 8.86 with No Mag or bipod.
unnamed.jpg

First time doing it all from taking off tikka barrel to adding prefit and inletting stock. Was able to make the tikka stock work with the larger contour of the Prefit from the thin barrel it was inletted for. Picture doesn't do justice to the amount of material that we took out but barrel is free floated and stock is still stiff enough for my liking.

image_67179009.JPG

Now on to how it shot for the limited rounds I have through it I had worked up handloads with H4350 and 200 Grain eld-x at mag length (3.340) with once fired Federal brass to start. Most of the groups hovered around the .75-.9 inch Three shot groups at 100. My best load being 66 grains of H4350 which shot .50 inches at 100. This was done with a bipod and rearbag. I will load a bunch more up at 66 grains and might do some refining after I get more proficient with the gun and enough rounds through it. I will say before the brake with the light leupy and tikka recoil pad it kicked like a mule and was not fun to shoot and the thin barrel would heat up very fast. With the added weight,brake and the limbsaver pad it is a dream to shoot now.unnamed (1).jpg

image_67231233.JPG

Here's my first semi custom tikka It started its life as a blued t3x 300 win mag. I just got in all the parts and finished last week so I was able to get out to the range this weekend and try some handloads as this was my first time handloading so just to get some experience and some rounds down the barrel. View attachment 556142View attachment 556140

Full build list
Limbsaver Recoil Pad
View attachment 556144

First time doing it all from taking off tikka barrel to adding prefit and inletting stock. Was able to make the tikka stock work with the larger contour of the Prefit from the thin barrel it was inletted for. Picture doesn't do justice to the amount of material that we took out but barrel is free floated and stock is still stiff enough for my liking.

View attachment 556145

Now on to how it shot for the limited rounds I have through it I had worked up handloads with H4350 and 200 Grain eld-x at mag length (3.340) with once fired Federal brass to start. Most of the groups hovered around the .75-.9 inch Three shot groups at 100. My best load being 66 grains of H4350 which shot .50 inches at 100. This was done with a bipod and rearbag. I will load a bunch more up at 66 grains and might do some refining after I get more proficient with the gun and enough rounds through it. I will say before the brake with the light leupy and tikka recoil pad it kicked like a mule and was not fun to shoot and the thin barrel would heat up very fast. With the added weight,brake and the limbsaver pad it is a dream to shoot now.View attachment 556155

View attachment 556157
What did you use to install and torque the barrel?

nobody

WKR
Here's my first semi custom tikka It started its life as a blued t3x 300 win mag. I just got in all the parts and finished last week so I was able to get out to the range this weekend and try some handloads as this was my first time handloading so just to get some experience and some rounds down the barrel. View attachment 556142View attachment 556140

Full build list
Limbsaver Recoil Pad
View attachment 556144

View attachment 556145

Now on to how it shot for the limited rounds I have through it I had worked up handloads with H4350 and 200 Grain eld-x at mag length (3.340) with once fired Federal brass to start. Most of the groups hovered around the .75-.9 inch Three shot groups at 100. My best load being 66 grains of H4350 which shot .50 inches at 100. This was done with a bipod and rearbag. I will load a bunch more up at 66 grains and might do some refining after I get more proficient with the gun and enough rounds through it. I will say before the brake with the light leupy and tikka recoil pad it kicked like a mule and was not fun to shoot and the thin barrel would heat up very fast. With the added weight,brake and the limbsaver pad it is a dream to shoot now.View attachment 556155

View attachment 556157
What did you use to open up the barrel channel? Just sandpaper wrapped around a deep-well socket?

KMF

FNG
What did you use to open up the barrel channel? Just sandpaper wrapped around a deep-well socket?
Yes we started with 80 grit the lowest we had on hand then switched to 200 to smooth it out. Worked well but time consuming.

I've got the full setup for removing/installing Tikka barrels. I'm thinking about renting it out (for like $5 + shipping each way) so people don't have to purchase their own for a single use.

If you decide to do that please let me know! Not sure I’d want to drop the $$ on all the gear for my first build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Yes we started with 80 grit the lowest we had on hand then switched to 200 to smooth it out. Worked well but time consuming.
Nice and simple. Care to share a pic of the "finished product" with the barreled action installed showing the gap on all sides from multiple angles?

How did you determine your depth needed? Just kept test fitting?

gtriple

WKR
If you decide to do that please let me know! Not sure I’d want to drop the $$ on all the gear for my first build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll post it here once I post it in the firearms sub. I'll probably charge people the full price of the items and then refund all but $5 when I get the components back or they get shipped to the next person.

I gotta figure out the shipping to make it cheap. Hopefully it all fits in a standard USPS box so there's no weight limits.