Let’s see your Remington 700 builds

BAKPAKR

WKR
Did you have to do any special prep when you painted the stock?
Yep, sent a check. 😀

I ordered just plain CF black as I was going to have the stainless barreled action bead-blasted. At the last minute, I decided to have it cerakoted and painted. At an earlier stage, I had talked to Custom Gun Coatings about the paint job and that is who Jon used. I was pretty sure their paint job would look better and last longer than anything I could do.

OP
7MMMAG

7MMMAG

FNG
Yep, sent a check. 😀

I ordered just plain CF black as I was going to have the stainless barreled action bead-blasted. At the last minute, I decided to have it cerakoted and painted. At an earlier stage, I had talked to Custom Gun Coatings about the paint job and that is who Jon used. I was pretty sure their paint job would look better and last longer than anything I could do.
wait... I didn't even know you could Cerakoted a stock. I thought my only option was hydrographic which I heard doesn't really hold that well.

BAKPAKR

WKR
wait... I didn't even know you could Cerakoted a stock. I thought my only option was hydrographic which I heard doesn't really hold that well.
What I meant was that I had the barreled action cerakoted rather than just bead blasted. I have no idea what was used on the stock.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any advice on finding a Remington 700 action cheap, like $400 range?

I'm looking at CA Ridgleline, or a Bergara Premier Barreled action of Premier HMR Pro and then restocking, but if I can find a Remington 700 LA cheap enough to then have it blueprinted/trued etc, I think that would lead to a a better product in the end. Really like the idea of a long action for 6.5 PRC

OP
7MMMAG

7MMMAG

FNG
Does anyone have any advice on finding a Remington 700 action cheap, like $400 range?

I'm looking at CA Ridgleline, or a Bergara Premier Barreled action of Premier HMR Pro and then restocking, but if I can find a Remington 700 LA cheap enough to then have it blueprinted/trued etc, I think that would lead to a a better product in the end. Really like the idea of a long action for 6.5 PRC
Check gun broker for actions. If you want something close enough i think a B-14 action will be pretty close. I like the rem 700 action but it’s been made better. I only used it because it’s what I had at the time, knowing what I know now I would have saved up for something like a Zermatt origin or Defiance Tenacity. I would be saving money going with one of those actions with guaranteed headspace. You don’t have to pay a smith to fit your barrel, and you have many more barrel options. And any issues you may have on rem 700 have been fixed with these newer clones. Ex. My bolt handle on my rem 700 broke off so I had to buy a new handle have a smith time and weld it then it has to be refinished because they use an acetylene torch.

Your best bet is to find a cheap ADL full gun and then sell off the parts you aren’t going to use (barrel, stock, mag, etc). Brownells has some actions for sale, but they are in the $550 range.
That being said, even if you find an action for around $400, you are going to spend another $400-500 to “get it right” and end up with oversized threads so you are guaranteeing that you will have to have all future barrels fitted by a smith. For that kind of money, just buy a Zermatt Origin.

gbflyer

WKR
It’s really hard to find a donor M700 action for the right price in the era of Funbroker. I snuck up on an ugly ADL 2 years ago for $299 at a small shop. Barrel was rusty, stock was beat, but the action was nice. It may happen for you also, look off the beaten trail and don’t get in a hurry.

B23

WKR
A few years back, usually around Christmas, Cabelas used to always have Rem 700 ADL Varmint model on sale for 100 off of the regular 499. I bought five of them, all 22-250's because those barrels were always easy to sell as new take off barrels for 125 bucks which brought the action down to $275. Top to bottom, 224 Terminator, 6mm CM, 20-250, 20-222, 6-284.
224Terminator.jpg
6Creedmoor.jpg
20-250.jpg20-222 (2).jpg
6-284.jpg

OP
7MMMAG

7MMMAG

FNG
Your best bet is to find a cheap ADL full gun and then sell off the parts you aren’t going to use (barrel, stock, mag, etc). Brownells has some actions for sale, but they are in the $550 range.
That being said, even if you find an action for around $400, you are going to spend another $400-500 to “get it right” and end up with oversized threads so you are guaranteeing that you will have to have all future barrels fitted by a smith. For that kind of money, just buy a Zermatt Origin.
You can get a tenacity for about the same price as the origin😉

BBob

WKR
That being said, even if you find an action for around $400, you are going to spend another $400-500 to “get it right” and end up with oversized threads so you are guaranteeing that you will have to have all future barrels fitted by a smith.
There are some Remage pre-fit's out there for .010"oversize (~1.070" tenon) if you look. Still might not be economical but they are out there.

OP
7MMMAG

7MMMAG

FNG
There are some Remage pre-fit's out there for .010"oversize (~1.070" tenon) if you look. Still might not be economical but they are out there.
You’re looking at $600 on the low end for a barrel all said and done

BBob

WKR
You’re looking at $600 on the low end for a barrel all said and done
Some out there for $400.