Let's help some guys/gals get their first archery elk!

MmmKa

FNG
Thought this was a pretty good refresher leading up to an archery elk hunt:

this was great! thanks for sharing this :)

wgonfan

FNG
Should I go solo or just scratch 2024 off the list? Was planning another trip out west this season but my BIL bailed and no other options with this short of a notice. This would had been my 3rd trip and we got pretty close, but not close enough, the previous two years. As I'm sure we all do I felt like this would be the year that I get it done. If it wasn't for the pack out I wouldn't hesitate to go in solo.

Any tips for solo rookies? bad idea?

Should I go solo or just scratch 2024 off the list? Was planning another trip out west this season but my BIL bailed and no other options with this short of a notice. This would had been my 3rd trip and we got pretty close, but not close enough, the previous two years. As I'm sure we all do I felt like this would be the year that I get it done. If it wasn't for the pack out I wouldn't hesitate to go in solo.

I think the only way I'd consider scratching is if you'd be solo hunting in heavy grizz area - I could understand that.

Otherwise GO!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR

I'd go. Just let your physical ability and temperature (meat spoilage) determine how far from the road you hunt.
Have you helped anyone break down an elk before? If not - dive deep into all the youtube vids on this so you can be extra prepared.

Good Luck!

Reactions: AME

wgonfan

FNG
I'd go. Just let your physical ability and temperature (meat spoilage) determine how far from the road you hunt.
Have you helped anyone break down an elk before? If not - dive deep into all the youtube vids on this so you can be extra prepared.

Good Luck!

Good tip, thank you! I've done plenty of whitetail and even packed a few out but never an elk.

1jeds

FNG
I've got a question after getting boots on the ground this weekend scouting the area I am planning to hunt this year (~20 miles). I have 1 archery elk under my belt, but this is the first time unguided and solo, so there is a lot I'm trying to learn.

I made my way to a ridge and glassed saturday evening and sunday morning, finding plenty of animals nearby - 10+ cow elk and 3 different bulls spotted, and a nice mule deer. I also walked up on a spike elk and cow on my hike out, 45 yards away and let them wander off eventually. The trail and area is heavily used by the elk.

I won't be back until mid September, and my plan is to get near the same ridge to see where the elk are at that point to get a game plan together. My question is specific to camp location - would the ideal situation be to camp low and hike my way up in the mornings to glass (~1.5-2 miles and 1,200 ft. gain), camp towards the ridge again like I did this weekend (worried about thermals at night and in the morning), or somewhere in between in the timber?

To complicate things further, this is in grizzly territory so I'm leery about too much hiking in the dark if its avoidable.

Edit: Doing some reading and a little common sense kicked in - I may try to camp on the backside of the ridge where I'm seeing the most activity

Last edited:
I tell myself be prepared for the worst.... whether that is the terrain/weather/finding elk etc. I've done both packing in for days and camps. Just keep trying and having fun is what its all about. If you don't kill an elk enjoy the moment you got to spend on the mountain.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I've got a question after getting boots on the ground this weekend scouting the area I am planning to hunt this year (~20 miles). I have 1 archery elk under my belt, but this is the first time unguided and solo, so there is a lot I'm trying to learn.

I made my way to a ridge and glassed saturday evening and sunday morning, finding plenty of animals nearby - 10+ cow elk and 3 different bulls spotted, and a nice mule deer. I also walked up on a spike elk and cow on my hike out, 45 yards away and let them wander off eventually. The trail and area is heavily used by the elk.

I won't be back until mid September, and my plan is to get near the same ridge to see where the elk are at that point to get a game plan together. My question is specific to camp location - would the ideal situation be to camp low and hike my way up in the mornings to glass (~1.5-2 miles and 1,200 ft. gain), camp towards the ridge again like I did this weekend (worried about thermals at night and in the morning), or somewhere in between in the timber?

To complicate things further, this is in grizzly territory so I'm leery about too much hiking in the dark if its avoidable.

Edit: Doing some reading and a little common sense kicked in - I may try to camp on the backside of the ridge where I'm seeing the most activity

I've only bivy camped one year...but overall I'd use this thought process: Nights/Mornings the thermals are moving down so do not be above where you expect elk to be. I like your last thought of jumping over a ridge and camping on opposite side of elk activity to allow your downward scent to be moving away from elk at night. Good Luck!

Maybe try the EZ Bugler piece from Phelps? I’m relatively new to calling and it’s the only way I can make a respectable bugle

Kryos73

FNG
This will be year 4 for me. 4th archery tag in 8 years here in NM so I can't complain. Year 1 was my first year applying and I readily accept that I was not ready to be in the woods hunting anything with a bow that year. The season came quick, I was underprepared, and looked like a fool running around out there haha! Unit 2 NM.

Year 2 I felt much better. I was way more confident and had a hard limit on my shot distance of 60 yards. Long range practice had me to the point where 60 was highly repeatable with a very low error in my grouping. On day 4 I found a raghorn bull that was by himself. I stalked him for around 2 miles but could not close the distance. He would grunt every now and then so I knew he was still there, I just couldn't get him to stop or turn around. I had 7 days that year and that was the only bull I came across. Unit 36 NM

Year 3 was the hunt that didn't happen. 5 days prior to me leaving my wife had a heart attack so that shut me down immediately. Unit 36 NM

This year I feel great. Unit 12 NM second archery. I have a solid plan for the first couple days then backup plans in place just in case. I feel that my escouting has highly improved and I've learned a lot from previous hunts. It's a new unit and I did not get the opportunity to go get boots on the ground due to work travel so that is a little intimidating. But, something deep within feels like this will be the year of firsts...first elk, first bow kill, and first big game kill outside of my home state of AK.

choppd

FNG
I'm going on my first archery elk hunt this year in September with my buddy. From everything I've gathered in the thread so far the most important thing is going where the elk are, staying down wind and being slow when in elk, and bugling isn't a necessity all the time. That's just a very basic summary from what I've gathered.

wgonfan

FNG
debating between week 3rd week vs 4th week archery for an OTC unit. best guess if the hunting pressure will be much different, do the elk get pushed off to private by that time?

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I'm going on my first archery elk hunt this year in September with my buddy. From everything I've gathered in the thread so far the most important thing is going where the elk are, staying down wind and being slow when in elk, and bugling isn't a necessity all the time. That's just a very basic summary from what I've gathered.
That's perfect for anyone looking to tag their first. In addition, be ready to give yourself pep talks to stay mentally positive and in the game. What if day 3 is ending and you've yet to see an elk...many guys go home or just pout around the rest of the hunt...be ready to pump yourself up, stay positive, and be ready - it can all change in an instant.

Find Elk. Get close. Execute shot.
I like to keep things simple as well!

debating between week 3rd week vs 4th week archery for an OTC unit. best guess if the hunting pressure will be much different, do the elk get pushed off to private by that time?
In my experience (assuming you're talking CO)...you'd notice very little difference between these 2 weeks. 3rd week usually has muzzleloader (which has never meant increased pressure for me that week) and 4th week probably has more bowhunters...and theoretically bulls should be bugling more, but they've also been pressured 1 extra week. I think it more has to do with weather...which ever week has the most weather/fronts and cool temps will be the better week. Dry and calm conditions not as good in my experience.

I like to figure out the best time to go, then do the opposite. Whatever I decide is best it seems like ten metric fucktons of other hunters also came to the same conclusion, so by doing the opposite I have less two-legged critter traffic. I'm a bit different though, I'd rather have a peaceful hunt without a lot of people and see 1 animal than delve into the masses and be covered up in animals.

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
I like to figure out the best time to go, then do the opposite. Whatever I decide is best it seems like ten metric fucktons of other hunters also came to the same conclusion, so by doing the opposite I have less two-legged critter traffic. I'm a bit different though, I'd rather have a peaceful hunt without a lot of people and see 1 animal than delve into the masses and be covered up in animals.
Genius.

What’s the status of admin roads? Are they no use to the public? Looking at some spots in CO. Looks like there are access roads to get to a spot on OnX. I double checked the national forest service interactive map and it shows the road closed as it goes from the private transition on to the public transition. Seems like I’m seeing any road labeled similar to something like say 711.A is closed. Are these closed just until season starts or always closed?

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
I've picked up the same thing. Good luck out there!

Listening to that ElkShape podcast; being willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to find and get close to elk. No sleep, don't matter. Lots of miles, don't matter. Just get there. A daunting but enticing task.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
What’s the status of admin roads? Are they no use to the public? Looking at some spots in CO. Looks like there are access roads to get to a spot on OnX. I double checked the national forest service interactive map and it shows the road closed as it goes from the private transition on to the public transition. Seems like I’m seeing any road labeled similar to something like say 711.A is closed. Are these closed just until season starts or always closed?

I've learned not to rely on the maps as much...the MVUM are the best and most accurate...but still always worth a call to the CPO or Wildlife Biologist that spends time frequently in that unit.

JDarchery

FNG
Just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone who posted to help us guys and gals who haven't got our first archery Elk. I am happy to report that I finally got my opportunity to sling an arrow at this beautiful spike and made it happen! My son was happy to help get the loose meat all cut up and packaged. Starting on the quarters this afternoon. Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 43