Let’s build a youth forever rifle!

SloppyJ

WKR
I picked up my son's 7th birthday present from the gunsmith yesterday. A .223 Tikka compact cut and threaded to 16.5". I disassembled, degreased, and put it all back together last night. I added some UM micro height rings and a Trijicon Credo 3x9 on top. Hell, I'm a bit jealous, this would be the perfect truck gun. I have to wait until september but I can't wait to take him to the range and see if he can ring some steel with it.

I've been debating whether a chassis would be beneficial for him or not and I'm still undecided. After handling the rifle, I like it with the compact stock but I want to follow along to see how your daughter likes her chassis. Thanks for making the post and can't wait to follow along. It's fun seeing other kiddos enjoy what we do too.

1000004908.jpg

Dave0317

WKR
What age would you start with a “forever rifle”? I just started my 10 year old with .22s. He has built some great skill with a compound bow already, so the transfer of skill should go pretty smoothly.

I also just bought a .223 Tikka Compact. The stock is a great length for him and I see this as his first deer rifle and a lifelong training rifle.

But for a forever hunting rifle, I feel like you would need to at least be at an age where a bit more recoil is tolerable. It’s already crossed my mind to buy an identical set up in 6.5cm for when he is older. I would have gotten that and only that, but I feel until 13-15 years old, there is still lots of benefit to using the most minimal recoil caliber possible. Kids rifle manifesto thread was a big part of me going with the .223, especially for a 10 year old.

I don’t see 6cm on the shelf locally at all, so that didn’t feel like a great option for me at the moment.

Hnthrdr

WKR
When you factor in recoil and barrel life as well the edge starts favoring 6 ARC... Both are phenomenal though and can't go wrong with either of those. I'd be happy to own both.
I need to look more into 6arc, but if you get longer barrel life and similar ballistics as a 6cm it sounds like a winner to me

SloppyJ

WKR
I need to look more into 6arc, but if you get longer barrel life and similar ballistics as a 6cm it sounds like a winner to me
I shoot an 18" 6creed. I've got less than 100rds down the tube but I'm averaging in the high 2800s for velocity just under pressure with H4350 and 108 ELDMs. Hoping to get that up a bit with some N555.

Regardless, there was someone at the last match I was at that was shooting a 6 arc. I saw him write down his elevation data and it was like a tenth of a mil off of mine. I was shocked. He was claiming to get around 2850fps out of his bolt action 6 arc with the same bullet I use. Now, he did have an extremely long barrel. I don't believe he was BSing either because he did really good on that stage.

When you look at the powder charge differences between the two, it's astonishing that it could even be remotely close (10+ gr of powder difference). I want to do some more research into this since that really surprised me. If I'm not mistaken he was using Leverevolution powder which is known for extra velocity.

Apples to apples 108 ELDm factory ammo is listed as 210 FPS slower in the ARC which I'd not consider similar. I think it'd be a bad ass option to load 95 TMKs in.

Cool cartridge, makes sense for factory ammo and AR shooters. I'd have a hard time choosing it over a 6BR/Dasher/BRA if a person was primarily a handloader though. It's smaller than a 6 BR.

Last edited:
I’m struggling with barrel length. I don’t see her ever doing a backpack in, back country hunt. Do I go 20-22” and eke out another 150fps over 16-18” or with a MER of 400 (let’s call it 500) does the extra fps even matter.

It’s harder deciding on this build than my own! I wouldn’t do this build if it wasn’t for the fact that xlr is hooking her up with a big chunk of the cost is the total build.

Double check a ballistics calculator, but my guess is a 16" 6 creed is above 1800 fps past 600 yards.

Apples to apples 108 ELDm factory ammo is listed as 210 FPS slower in the ARC which I'd not consider similar. I think it'd be a bad ass option to load 95 TMKs in.

Cool cartridge, makes sense for factory ammo and AR shooters. I'd have a hard time choosing it over a 6BR/Dasher/BRA if a person was primarily a handloader though. It's smaller than a 6 BR.
This is true, but if you handload the ARC can be pushed harder in a bolt rifle. The hornady load data for a bolt ARC is only 110fps slower than the factory Creed loading. I don't mind handloading, but having good factory ammo available is always a nice option.

sndmn11

WKR
That’s not fun! The build is the exciting part!!!
I am sure she is being consulted on HER build every step of the way...

6creed so she can grab factory ammo when she is off at college meeting dudes who want to take her hunting, and the bolt face is standard so she can swap other barrels in later like a 22 centerfire.

KenLee

WKR
I’m struggling with barrel length. I don’t see her ever doing a backpack in, back country hunt. Do I go 20-22” and eke out another 150fps over 16-18” or with a MER of 400 (let’s call it 500) does the extra fps even matter.

It’s harder deciding on this build than my own! I wouldn’t do this build if it wasn’t for the fact that xlr is hooking her up with a big chunk of the cost is the total build.
A consideration (not so much if suppressed) is the noise and blast from a short barrel.
When trying to setup a rig for a relatively newbie grown female a few years ago, she absolutely hated shooting a 6.5 Creed with a 16.5 and 18 inch barrel while properly using earplugs. I bought a 24 inch barreled 6.5 Creed and she was good with it. She may have been fine with a 20 inch barrel if we had started there, but I had already boogered that up by starting with 16.5 and scaring her.

SloppyJ

WKR
Double check a ballistics calculator, but my guess is a 16" 6 creed is above 1800 fps past 600 yards.
With the info from my 18" 6 Creed, 108eldms are 1884fps at 600yds and 1742 at 700yds. Berger 108 elite hunters stretch that to 1819fps at 700yds and 1691 at 800yds.

The Berger data is verified out to 1100yds in my rifle so I feel confident in it. This is from the AB profile setup in my gen 2 Kilo 10ks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am sure she is being consulted on HER build every step of the way...

6creed so she can grab factory ammo when she is off at college meeting dudes who want to take her hunting, and the bolt face is standard so she can swap other barrels in later like a 22 centerfire.
They’ll “take her hunting” and get humbled with the reality that she’s actually taking them hunting haha! Rokslide killers are built different!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Triple the barrel life between the two is important for me personally. My buddy shoots a Savage 110 6 ARC with an 18" barrel. He shoots Hornady 103 ELDX bullets. He's still getting 2770-2805 MV with over 5,000 rounds through it.

Tmac

WKR
For my grandkids, they can pick between a .223 where legal, a 6 ARC and a 6.5 Grendel. Their fav is a Ruger American .223 with the 16” barrel and suppressor. No accounting for taste… If I got the Tikka .223 cut and threaded, it may be the fav. The 6 ARC and 6.5 G are both Howa mini’s.

I picked up my son's 7th birthday present from the gunsmith yesterday. A .223 Tikka compact cut and threaded to 16.5". I disassembled, degreased, and put it all back together last night. I added some UM micro height rings and a Trijicon Credo 3x9 on top. Hell, I'm a bit jealous, this would be the perfect truck gun. I have to wait until september but I can't wait to take him to the range and see if he can ring some steel with it.

I've been debating whether a chassis would be beneficial for him or not and I'm still undecided. After handling the rifle, I like it with the compact stock but I want to follow along to see how your daughter likes her chassis. Thanks for making the post and can't wait to follow along. It's fun seeing other kiddos enjoy what we do too.

View attachment 743706
This is exactly what I’m going to do for my son when the time comes.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

View attachment 743706
223 is really tempting for a youth rifle. Colorado made my decision for me but having a 6mm minimum!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
What age would you start with a “forever rifle”? I just started my 10 year old with .22s. He has built some great skill with a compound bow already, so the transfer of skill should go pretty smoothly.

I also just bought a .223 Tikka Compact. The stock is a great length for him and I see this as his first deer rifle and a lifelong training rifle.

But for a forever hunting rifle, I feel like you would need to at least be at an age where a bit more recoil is tolerable. It’s already crossed my mind to buy an identical set up in 6.5cm for when he is older. I would have gotten that and only that, but I feel until 13-15 years old, there is still lots of benefit to using the most minimal recoil caliber possible. Kids rifle manifesto thread was a big part of me going with the .223, especially for a 10 year old.

I don’t see 6cm on the shelf locally at all, so that didn’t feel like a great option for me at the moment.
I see 6cm at my local gun store regularly now. It’s cheap too! I want to say 32/box of 20 for 103 eldx and 36 for white box 108s.

My daughter is 12. She killed 2 animals last year with my suppressed 7saum and tells me the recoil doesn’t bother her. I’ve bought into the 6mm with a target bullet way of thinking so I don’t see a reason to push it for her. I’d rather her be excited to shoot until we run out of ammo, rather than shoot a few then be done for the day. I started her on a red Ryder, then a 22LR and a 223 ar-15.

180ls1

WKR
Would she have fun picking? You could give her guidelines/options and let her run with those.