Less Recoil than .308 Win... BUT can still take a Mule Deer @650yds. Which Catridge?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Because of my coastal locality, unless I want to commit to reloading-only, which I don't, I have to go with popular cartridges. So for this "weight-class" that means either .243 Win or 6.5 CM. And between those two... the .243 Win would appear to be much more mild in recoil. I don't see the boy having any problem with .243 Win. And hey... I can always go back and buy a 6.5 CM in the future if I feel it's needed later.

EDIT: Meanwhile I've already got .30-30 Win and .308 Win. So can always elect to use them if I feel the need to. But I feel confident an 80gr TSX will handle what I need it to.

amassi

WKR
Because of my coastal locality, unless I want to commit to reloading-only, which I don't, I have to go with popular cartridges. So for this "weight-class" that means either .243 Win or 6.5 CM. And between those two... the .243 Win would appear to be much more mild in recoil. I don't see the boy having any problem with .243 Win. And hey... I can always go back and buy a 6.5 CM in the future if I feel it's needed later.

EDIT: Meanwhile I've already got .30-30 Win and .308 Win. So can always elect to use them if I feel the need to. But I feel confident an 80gr TSX will handle what I need it to.
If you want to go 243 get a 6mm creedmoor. 95gr lrx @ 3200 fps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Opah

WKR
The Browning Magna port Muzzle brake tamed my LA 445, had one He!! of a report but it was tamed
My Browning BOSS 30/06, is a sweet thing with magna port, something to look into maybe you can move him up to a better caliber ?

V-TRAIN

WKR
I got my daughter a Remington R-25 when she was 9, in 7mm-.08. I removed the stock and put a AR-15 adjustable stock on it, so it would fit her. That year, I used reduced recoil rounds and she was fine with it. Because it is semi auto, it dosen't kick like a bolt rifle, but it wouldn't eject the reduced recoil rounds.
When she turned 10, she started using regular/normal loads, and they eject fine.
She is a small kid, now 12 and weights less than 75lbs and has had no trouble with that gun. She has killed everything she has shot with it.

If you wanted a bigger caliber for a kid, I would highly suggest something on a AR-10 type platform that's semi automatic. Just put a nice recoil pad on the stock and he will be fine. If he complains, tell him there is a small girl in NC that's been dropping deer like a bad habbit since she was 9, with no complaints. Lol