Legendary Toyota Reliability . . . ????

Sapcut

WKR
You could probably put 02 and air/fuel ratio sensors in that very category, though, when they fail, or start to malfunction, you can still drive. They are annoyingly expensive and almost nobody replaces them proactively.
Exactly what I do. I also never waste money on wheel bearings. If not mistaken, I think the recommended interval is like 30k miles. So far with 400k miles I’ve never needed to replace them. The rear bearings are all original. I think I remember one side up front may have been replaced maybe 10 years ago when replacing a torn axle boot. But otherwise they last forever. However, I’m only talking about a land cruiser. Can’t speak to anything else.

My 2000 LX470 I drive every day has 399,400 right now. Last time timing belt, water pump, pulleys, etc was replaced was at 120k miles on 7/20/07. It will be changed again when it breaks or water pump bearing rattles. The main reason these parts never go out is because they are replaced waaaay too often and waaay too much money wasted.
In my experience, replacement parts (OEM or otherwise) rarely last as long as the parts that they were assembled with from the factory. This has been especially true with timing belt components. Changes in suppliers of parts, or components of those parts happens all the time.

I have seen enough NON INTERFERENCE engines have valve to piston contact with timing belt failure to not gamble with this. I dont think a timing belt job is too much to put out or waste after 100k, but I am able to do my own work.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
If you proactively replaced all the parts the manufacturer specifies at the the intervals they state it would be crazy expensive - which is why hardly onyone does it. Keep up with the common consumable stuff - oil, brakes, belts, hoses...etc. and you will be fine most of the time.
I have put 200,000 - 250,000 miles on a lot of vehicles in my life and I've never proactively changed wheel bearings, or anything similar, never had to. A lot of things can fail and leave you stranded on the side of the road, but do you just start changing out starters, alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps...etc to make sure you never have an issue.

CorbLand

WKR
Exactly what I do. I also never waste money on wheel bearings. If not mistaken, I think the recommended interval is like 30k miles. So far with 400k miles I’ve never needed to replace them. The rear bearings are all original. I think I remember one side up front may have been replaced maybe 10 years ago when replacing a torn axle boot. But otherwise they last forever. However, I’m only talking about a land cruiser. Can’t speak to anything else.
I put 55,000 on an 01 Tundra and had to replace the rear wheel bearing on the drivers side and the passenger side front. I don’t know if the guy before me changed any of them.

If you regularly keep up with your tire rotations, they should be checking those and just replace them as needed. They rarely have a catastrophic fail without warning.

I’d sell it AFTER fixing it or at least disclosing to the potential buyer. Nothing like getting screwed in a deal then turning around and doing the exact same thing to the next unsuspecting person.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I’d sell it AFTER fixing it or at least disclosing to the potential buyer. Nothing like getting screwed in a deal then turning around and doing the exact same thing to the next unsuspecting person.
Don't worry. I'll find a real standup dealership to give me $3k for it and then turn around and list it for $13k+. (true story)

I think it really depends on the model at this point with Toyota, we are dealing with more electronics now and less mechanical. Usually leads to lower life due to replacement costs of electrical components. A 22R is a lot easier to work on or fix with wrenches and screw drivers than the new tacomas(I wish I had an old one but wife likes the new)!

Yoder

WKR
I had the exact same year Rav4 with the same problem. Toyota rebuilt the engine for free at 110k miles. They replaced the pistons. I would get rid of it asap. Next time you buy, check out Carcomplaints.com. That year of Rav4 has the Beware of clunker status on their site.