Legendary Toyota Reliability . . . ????

Randle

WKR
^^^ Compression test will only show compression. Oil control rings can't be check with a comp test.
Their job is to scrape oil back into the lower engine, not seal the combustion chamber.
If its misfiring or running rough then doing a compression test may help.

OP not much you could have done to forsee oil consumption

Poser

WKR
More than a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is a big problem.

I have a V8 4Runner with 262,000 on it. Just did a 2500 mile trip and burned less than a 1/2 a quart.

Side note: sure wish Toyota out shraeder valves on their engines.

Sapcut

WKR
More than a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is a big problem.

I have a V8 4Runner with 262,000 on it. Just did a 2500 mile trip and burned less than a 1/2 a quart.

Side note: sure wish Toyota out shraeder valves on their engines.
Is that the 4.7 2UZ-FE?

Poser

WKR
Is that the 4.7 2UZ-FE?

Correct. Cast iron block. Downside compared to the V6 is that it’s a timing belt vs. chain. That being said, my mechanic has worked on a ton of these engines (mostly on Tundras) and said that he’s never actually seen a failed timing belt on these engines despite some stupid high mileage with the original belt. (Not advising to skip changing them every 90k).

Sapcut

WKR
Correct. Cast iron block. Downside compared to the V6 is that it’s a timing belt vs. chain. That being said, my mechanic has worked on a ton of these engines (mostly on Tundras) and said that he’s never actually seen a failed timing belt on these engines despite some stupid high mileage with the original belt. (Not advising to skip changing them every 90k).
Yea, I currently have four of those engines in LX470s. They are fairly incredible pieces of work. I personally AM about skipping the $1000+ 90k timing belt intervals for the exact reason you mentioned. They rarely ever fail. I have over 200k miles on the timing belt and water pump in at least one of mine maybe more. Of the 13 Land Cruisers and LXs my family has had the last 27 years, I have had one water pump go out and it was right after being replaced from previous owner. I've saved a pile of money not being OCD with maintenance and have over a million miles between them now. However, I will get the timing belt service done on our '06 LX due to it being the VVTi version of the 2UZFE and an interference engine. Pre 2006 are NONinterference so no worries harming engine if I happen to be the only one on the planet with a failed timing belt.

Just got back home in my wife's '04 LX and rolled over 358k miles. Not a drop of oil burned or a drop of oil leaking from valve cover or anywhere. Clean and runs and drives like a Swiss watch.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Yea, I have currently have four of those engines in LX470s. They are fairly incredible pieces of work. I personally AM about skipping the $1000+ 90k timing belt intervals for the exact reason you mentioned. They rarely ever fail. I have over 200k miles on the timing belt and water pump in at least one of mine maybe more. Of the 13 Land Cruisers and LXs my family has had the last 27 years, I have had one water pump go out and it was right after being replaced from previous owner. I've saved a pile of money not being OCD with maintenance and have over a million miles between them now. However, I will get the timing belt service done on our '06 LX due to it being the VVTi version of the 2UZFE and an interference engine. Pre 2006 are NONinterference so no worries harming engine if I happen to be the only one on the planet with a failed timing belt.

Just got back home in my wife's '04 LX and rolled over 358k miles. Not a drop of oil burned or a drop of oil leaking from valve cover or anywhere. Clean and runs and drives like a Swiss watch.

I did my timing belt and water pump recently after 100,000 miles on the existing one. (The original was replaced at 155,000). It was $1300.

The timing belt on the 2uz is about as easy as a belt gets if you are any kind of a mechanic I would not consider taking it in.

I didn’t think Toyota engines ever needed work.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Name an engine on the market that doesn't require routine maintenance. Belts, hoses, plugs, oil and filter, etc. You can't name a single one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Purchased a 2007 Rav4 with 120k miles on it. Should be great right? Lots of life left? Maybe 180k left... Wrong. Burns oil. It burned two quarts in 700 miles.

Toyota had a recall on their 2AZ-FE engines. They were fixing them up until around 2017. Unfortunately the previous owner wasn't smart enough to take advantage of this opportunity. The engines have undersized piston rings.

The cost to dump the oil in it isn't that terrible really. My question is, if I keep dumping oil in it for the next 10, 20, 50k miles, what else will go wrong? Is it in danger of blowing up? Just need to change the spark plugs every once and awhile?

Sell it? Fix it? Thoughts?

Thanks!

It sucks that you had to experience it, but you have to appreciate that a vehicle with 120K miles is over half the lifetime of most vehicles. Buying a vehicle after it is half worn out greatly increases the risk of problems. That is the risk of buying a well used vehicle, even a toyota.

Poser

WKR
The timing belt on the 2uz is about as easy as a belt gets if you are any kind of a mechanic I would not consider taking it in.

I definitely considered it -read the Haynes Manuel on it and watched a YT video or 4. Might do it in the future. I mostly didn’t want to give up that amount of free time (my experience on DIY wrenching is twice the estimated time is realistic) during ski season. I needed a new radiator as well so having my mechanic do the timing belt negated the radiator installation labor. It definitely seems easier then the reputation for timing belts in general would lead one to believe.

I’ve owned 1 87 4 runner . A 2007 tundra, and 2 tacomas. Currently have a tacoma and My wife drives a 4 runner. I’ve had nothing but good from them. Never have had issues with any of them

IdahoElk

WKR
I definitely considered it -read the Haynes Manuel on it and watched a YT video or 4. Might do it in the future. I mostly didn’t want to give up that amount of free time (my experience on DIY wrenching is twice the estimated time is realistic) during ski season. I needed a new radiator as well so having my mechanic do the timing belt negated the radiator installation labor. It definitely seems easier then the reputation for timing belts in general would lead one to believe.
There are lots of videos on the tube, not too bad of a job, took me about 6-7hrs

Billinsd

WKR
That's a myth. They require maintenance like all other cars. They are more reliable than most other cars. They may withstand more neglect than other cars, but I don't think so. They are definitely not bullet proof. I prefer Honda's and Toyota's in general myself.