Legendary Toyota Reliability . . . ????

That's a known issue with 06+ 2az-fe engines. All of them do it, in every single model they're in. It was a dumb way to attempt to increase efficiency and reduce emissions.
Good news is, it's a really easy motor to work on. It's probably a toss up fixing vs jumping ship. If you don't mind dumping it on someone it's likely you can get what you paid for it. Look for one with the V6.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Personally, I don't have time or patience to screw with a problematic vehicle and I'm not one of those guys who wrenches his own so I would get rid of it asap.

Fatcamp

WKR
Personally, I don't have time or patience to screw with a problematic vehicle and I'm not one of those guys who wrenches his own so I would get rid of it asap.

Ya, I posted the repair procedure but no way would I do that much work to a Rav4.

Seems like after all your research you made a bad call.

Also an issue with buying used. Who knows what the previous owner did. Apparently they didn't tell you it burned oil.

Bluefish

WKR
Perfectly reasonable question. Who buys an older used car without a compression test?
Most people. On modern engines it often is not easy to remove plugs. I have never seen anyone do it. I have done it for pwc and motorcycles.

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a 2006 RAV with this motor and had the same issue, I decided to sell it. I have owned 4 Toyotas (06 Rav-4, 01 Tacoma, 18 Highlander and 07 Tundra) the RAV is the only one I ever had an issue with. In my opinion Toyota is by far the most reliable vehicles on the road.

SDHNTR

WKR
Most people. On modern engines it often is not easy to remove plugs. I have never seen anyone do it. I have done it for pwc and motorcycles.
I’ve never not done it, on any used motor I’ve ever bought. Cars, outboards, generators, atv’s, snowcat, snowmobiles, etc. and I’ve never had an oil burner. For the times I’ve not been able to do it myself I pay a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It might be a minor inconvenience, but it saves headaches. Sorry you’ve learned the hard way.

Perfectly reasonable question. Who buys an older used car without a compression test?
This would be a very smart idea but the vast majority of people wouldn't know how to perform one, and I bet most private sellers wouldn't just let someone start wrenching on their motor prior to purchasing, I know I wouldn't. Most older vehicles, at least in the OBD2 era should have a check engine light on for engine misfires if compression is low in one or more cylinders. Bringing a scanner to any potential deal and looking for codes or pending codes would be much easier.

SDHNTR

WKR
This would be a very smart idea but the vast majority of people wouldn't know how to perform one, and I bet most private sellers wouldn't just let someone start wrenching on their motor prior to purchasing, I know I wouldn't. Most older vehicles, at least in the OBD2 era should have a check engine light on for engine misfires if compression is low in one or more cylinders. Bringing a scanner to any potential deal and looking for codes or pending codes would be much easier.
Then take it to a mechanic. I’d never buy from someone who didn’t allow a pre purchase inspection. Either performed myself, or by a pro.

Fatcamp

WKR

Ya, I would be ok with a scan, but no random dude is touching my vehicles with a wrench.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Then take it to a mechanic. I’d never buy from someone who didn’t allow a pre purchase inspection. Either performed myself, or by a pro.
No way in hell I would let someone start taking off intake plenums to start checking plugs on my car. If they can't afford a scan tool they can keep walking. A mechanic would milk that out for half a day at hourly rate, someone would be paying that cost and for the owner being unable to use the vehicle. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
No way in hell I would let someone start taking off intake plenums to start checking plugs on my car. If they can't afford a scan tool they can keep walking. A mechanic would milk that out for half a day at hourly rate, someone would be paying that cost and for the owner being unable to use the vehicle. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No, it’s 2007. Still a big difference from today. Whatever, an ecu scan or a spark plug compression test. Either way, my point is this could have been avoided with standard due diligence. Sorry the OP has to deal with this, but it’s a good lesson for anyone buying a used car out of warranty.

compression test on this would likely show nothing out of the ordinary. Typically this is caused by oil control rings issues. might be stuck, or oil just not draining back through them and the piston. Compressing rings are probably still sealing well. I have seen several of these that didn't use much oil, but they were owned by older folks that actually had oil changes done and usually at 3k.