Left paper tear I can't get rid of

Mike Free

FNG
Nitrum Turbo, 28/70 Gold tip kinetic kaos 300 spine, 27.5 CTC. Getting a consistent inch left tear with bareshaft. I've tried adjusting how I put my hand on the grip & shot off riser. Adjusted yokes & it got a tiny bit smaller but now the lean is pretty bad. Seems a lot worse than it should be. Centershot is right at 3/4 and top cam hitting like a credit card thickness ahead. Arrow is on the top 1/3 of burger button hole. I tried switching the spacers around on the bottom cam but the lean was so bad I thought the string might derail. I've bareshaft tuned my bows before but this one seems to be stumping me. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mike Free

FNG
100 but it's got 35 in insert/ Collar weight I believe.

robtattoo

WKR
I think you'll have to bump your point weight by quite a bit. I would think that 100 even with the insert would be way too light with a shaft that short.

OR Archer

WKR
Reset the lean to where at brace a shaft laid against the top cam intersects around the D loop. After resetting the lean recheck the timing. I always run the timing even on that bow. When setting the rest centershot on Hoyts I really don't measure. I just make sure that the shaft is running dead center on the trough on the shelf. For hand placement I found that being a touch more on the thumb pad makes a huge difference. Also don't over look face pressure on the strings as well. If you are putting a lot of pressure on the string with your cheek that can cause left/right issues as well. If you are having a consistent left tear that doesn't go away with rest or yoke adjustments its usually a good sign that its in your front hand or possibly you're trigger control.

OP
M

Mike Free

FNG
I think you'll have to bump your point weight by quite a bit. I would think that 100 even with the insert would be way too light with a shaft that short.

I have some other point weight I will try to see if it makes a difference. I also have some FMJ's at 28.25 that I can try to see what I get.

OP
M

Mike Free

FNG
Reset the lean to where at brace a shaft laid against the top cam intersects around the D loop. After resetting the lean recheck the timing. I always run the timing even on that bow. When setting the rest centershot on Hoyts I really don't measure. I just make sure that the shaft is running dead center on the trough on the shelf. For hand placement I found that being a touch more on the thumb pad makes a huge difference. Also don't over look face pressure on the strings as well. If you are putting a lot of pressure on the string with your cheek that can cause left/right issues as well. If you are having a consistent left tear that doesn't go away with rest or yoke adjustments its usually a good sign that its in your front hand or possibly you're trigger control.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna reset lean and just put the rest down the center and see what happens. I got a couple other arrows I can try also to see what happens. I will also be weary of facial contact.

Measure the limb pocket distance, outside corner of the top pocket to the same spot on the bottom pocket, measure the string side, then the cable side and compare. I had that same bow and it was 3/16" off and shot like yours. Hoyt would not fix it.

Sent from the Arizona desert

Last tear I couldn't fix no matter what was the arrow spine. You can try different point and draw weights to help diagnose. That's all I got to offer?

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Try walkback tuning, i have had bows that were almost impossible to get a good paper tear but with walk back tuning they shot great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mike Free

FNG
I put the Grip back on, and shortened the DL by about a 1/4 inch and got a clean hole. Shot with fletched at 15 yards and almost touching. About 1/4 to the right of the fletched shaft. Thanks for the help!

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal!! A lot of tuning problems come from too long of DL. Happy shooting!