Leasing Land for Hunting

GLB

WKR
Looking to lease land for hunting whitetail deer. I live in Alaska and want to have a place to hunt WT deer every year. As you know we don’t have whitetail deer here and I miss hunting them, it’s been 15 years or more.

Also coming from Alaska I could go to any state, but would like to find something in South Dakota as I plan to be moving there in 3 years.

Any recommendations will be helpfu!

ndbuck09

WKR
there's leasing websites out there like basecamp leasing. I do feel that these joints are comprised of the landowners really looking to max their profits so there's a bit of a premium pricing going on with them. But if you don't live somewhere to make local connections, it does give you options.

Reactions: GLB

kda082

WKR
You'll get gouged going through those sites. I'd suggest planning a public land hunts and try to make some connections in the process. Find some good spots, bang on some doors, maybe try to lease some exclusive rights for the future hunts. Cut out the middle man. I lease in the state I live in and I just offered it up to the landowner.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ Thanks, yes living in AK makes it difficult to make connections and leasing seems to be the best option for me to have a dedicated place to hunt when our hunting is done up here.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Hope to see you in SD. What area will you be living in? Great archery clubs all over SD and lots of public in certain parts of the state also. If I can be of service in anyway just let me know.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey OP? You mentioned South Dakota but I'd imagine you'd be willing to travel to other states for leasing? If you are interested, I know of some farm land that may be available for lease North of Bemidji in Minnesota. It's about a 6 hour drive from Sioux Falls, SD.

These are big bastard northern whitetail that feed on alfalfa, soy beans, and canola fields. It's all no fence farm land but would be private property. Most of what is available are stand hunting fields at the edges of woodlots. Or tree stands in the wood lots. Not sure if that's your style or not.

I know a lot of the farmers up there don't hunt their land anymore and would likely be interested in leasing. The zone I hunted last year is right on the 209/210 border. Also, Minnesota is very easy to get out of state tags in. You can do it all on their website and have them mail you your tags before you go.

I'll be heading back up there this Summer for helping my wife's grandfather with some farming and could ask around about leases if you're interested.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Yes I would very much be interested in any info you have. I have hunted in Bemidji Mn about 25 years ago. Loved it there. Please send me a PM.
Hey OP? You mentioned South Dakota but I'd imagine you'd be willing to travel to other states for leasing? If you are interested, I know of some farm land that may be available for lease North of Bemidji in Minnesota. It's about a 6 hour drive from Sioux Falls, SD.

These are big bastard northern whitetail that feed on alfalfa, soy beans, and canola fields. It's all no fence farm land but would be private property. Most of what is available are stand hunting fields at the edges of woodlots. Or tree stands in the wood lots. Not sure if that's your style or not.

I know a lot of the farmers up there don't hunt their land anymore and would likely be interested in leasing. The zone I hunted last year is right on the 209/210 border. Also, Minnesota is very easy to get out of state tags in. You can do it all on their website and have them mail you your tags before you go.

I'll be heading back up there this Summer for helping my wife's grandfather with some farming and could ask around about leases if you're interested.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Hope to see you in SD. What area will you be living in? Great archery clubs all over SD and lots of public in certain parts of the state also. If I can be of service in anyway just let me know.
We are looking at the Spearfish area. My wife and I has visited there a couple time and really like it. Our next trip we will venture out east river side and take a look around.

Honestly. I’d find some west river places where there is whitetail and mule deer. That way you can hunt both and still be close to antelope/elk/lions and whatever else just to the west!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to look into Georgia. Tons of relatively cheap flights into Atlanta. You can lease land for $9/acre generally for year round access. In Georgia you can kill 12 deer per year, of which no more than 2 can be antlered. I don't know any game hogs who kill that many, but it is an option if that is how you roll. Season runs from 2nd week in September to 2nd week in January for most of the state, and up to 31st of January in the rest of the state.

Here is an example of a place: http://forum.gon.com/threads/laurens-county-ga-567-acres-for-lease.945361/

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Thanks dakotaduner. Are there any 3D ranges/clubs in the Blackhills area? I may bring my recurve with me when we come down next spring.

Last edited: