Learn the frontal if you want to kill elk

Geewhiz

WKR
I took an opportunity at a frontal one time and it didn't end how I had hoped and I have no explanation for what happened. You won't find me doing it again.

KsRancher

WKR
I've killed lots of whitetail with rifle frontal shots, (mostly rattled in). All dropped on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have taken that shot numerous times on whitetail. But have steered clear of it for the past several years. I only shoot does with a rifle. Have switched to the head shot. We hang our deer for a week or two. Skinning and gutting those frontal shot deer is a mess. The whole chest cavity is a big bowl of heart, lung and guts chili.

The key is to know where your arrow will end up in the elk, not where it entered

This. I regret my choice to take a frontal on my first ever morning of my first ever elk hunt. Called in a bull in the first 15 minutes of shooting light. Didn’t factor in the elevation differences between myself and the elk which was maybe only 10-15 feet but was enough that the arrow did not end up in the boiler room even though it entered in the good spot of the mane. Haunts me to this day. Lots of guys love the frontal but you better be accurate and know where to put it.

My new pre shooting checklist acronym is you want to see RED when you go look for blood: reference, elevation, distance before you shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleven

FNG
Anyone take this frontal shot on a black bear?

I’ve taken it on a few whitetail, and wouldn’t hesitate on any hoofed animal if it presented. But the black bear anatomy is a little bit different. Any experience with this?

Beendare

WKR
I aim at 2-3 to avoid the skeletal structure- reference the picture I posted. Through that hole in the skeleton, its all soft and important tissue.

That frontal works with hard quartering shots too, on each side in front of the shoulder. Picture a necklace around their neck andthe lower 1/2 is all soft tissue into the chest cavity.

The problems with the frontal are all related to shot location. If the animal has time to move on the shot…that can wreck the frontal even if they turn 6”.

Did the bull make you? Is he staring right at you ready to bolt? Then you better be close

I’ve shot a bull at 20y that was walking in staring at my decoy 15’ to my right that just stopped and never flinched when hit with a 2 blade arrow that buried inside him. He coughed blodd and then quickly realized something was wrong.

Then I’ve seen a bull my buddy shot frontal at 27y. He waited a long 5 count to shoot. By then, the bull had stopped and was staring knowing something was up. The bull turned slightly on the shot, enough for the arrow to get just inside the rib cage on one side.

Good blood trail that we followed right away. We found that bull about 10 minutes later lolling around trying to get up.

I took a long 50y frontal once, never again. I crawled in 1/2 a mile on a muley feeding in the sage. When i shot, the buck turned slightly to eat something while the arrow was in the air. The arrow ended up between the shoulder and rib cage.

Long story but I ended up chasing that buck for the rest of the day and got another arrow in him at 92y next day late morning.

If they are alerted, and can hear your bow go off….it better be close.

OP
C
On the line between the 3 and the 4 and only if he's 15 yds or in. At that range, I don't care if he seen me draw, if he's standing there, he's dead. And I shoot a very slow bow.

OP
C
I know this shot is the rage these days on all the Elk101xxxxx YouTube channels, but pioneer bow hunters like Bill Allard and the late Danny Moore really were the first to promote it when it wasn’t cool, These guys were hard on elk when archery elk wasn’t cool.

Reason for this post? Close encounters on a good elk hunt are few and far, if you want to be a guy who kills elk vs the guy who simply likes to bow hunt elk, learn where to shoot a bull long before the season starts so when that 300 inch bull is standing head on at 5 yds, he isn’t going anywhere but on your pack frame.

Elk hunting can drag on…… tough getting up on day 15 when you should have been done on day 2!

Hard to believe it's been two years already. The guy who I was referring to at this time should have killed a hell of a bull that trip. That bull still bugs him.

The key is to know where your arrow will end up in the elk, not where it entered
I do try to visualize this in 3-dimensions. I'm not currently bowhunting as focused on rifle hunts at the moment and I do have an elk hunt in Idaho which will hopefully be still the end of the rut. I might get a close frontal shot in timber with the rifle. I'll want to visualize where the bullet path is too.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Ya if that is correct his scapula might be above his hump. I gotta go 3-4 line. I tend to visualize where to aim every video I see and the body seems to always be lower than you'd think just looking frontal. I was taught to visualize the exit more than entrance hole. So with frontal I keep track of landmarks. Anything in the 2 zone and I would imagine your closer hitting spine. 3-4 line should be mid body.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I got distracted I did take a bear in a tree (no dogs!) frontal. Hit just right of center, burried arrow . It looked around then climbed another 50 ft. I was deciding if I should get the camera when one leg went straight out...then the other and down it came! Shots at 330 mark.

cb2176

FNG
I have not had the opportunity yet... but, I'll take the shot if it's close and all things are lined up for success.

wytx

WKR
A frontal on elk is not lined up for success, wait for him to turn broadside.
If you hit him frontal and don't find it are you notching that license?