Learn the frontal if you want to kill elk

I know this shot is the rage these days on all the Elk101xxxxx YouTube channels, but pioneer bow hunters like Bill Allard and the late Danny Moore really were the first to promote it when it wasn’t cool, These guys were hard on elk when archery elk wasn’t cool.

Reason for this post? Close encounters on a good elk hunt are few and far, if you want to be a guy who kills elk vs the guy who simply likes to bow hunt elk, learn where to shoot a bull long before the season starts so when that 300 inch bull is standing head on at 5 yds, he isn’t going anywhere but on your pack frame.

Elk hunting can drag on…… tough getting up on day 15 when you should have been done on day 2!

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I have put aprox a doz bulls down with the frontal or slightly quartering to us in the chest area. I don't turn it down at 25 yards or under!. Deadly 17 yard shot! Exodus broadhead.

ElkNut

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 261

ozyclint

WKR
The trouble being that the frontal shot opportunity quickly turns into the broadside shot you waited for which lasts .2 split seconds, then turns into a Texas heart shot as you see its ass run into the next drainage after it smelt or saw you.
I wouldn't hesitate on a frontal at close range when you know that the encounter is so close that you know that the frontal is the only option you'll get because they will see or smell you simply because they are so close.
Frontal shots have been employed successfully of water Buffalo too.

Daves243

FNG
Shot a bull this year at 22 yards frontal. He went 20 yards and expired in 10 seconds. Sure is nice to watch em fall. I say go for it if you’re confident in hitting that softball size pocket.

OP
C
To clarify, sub 15 yds is what I’m talking about. 20 yds is further than ID shoot front on, but 15-10-5 you can do it without worrying about them whirling.

Only ever had 1 elk give me the opportunity for a front on shot. He was at 3 yds and dead in under 20. Everything has always been broadside, quartering, semi broadside. Don’t know why, just the way it’s been. I won’t hesitate to take that shot again. After processing thousands of elk I know exactly where the bones are and which ones to avoid. Slightly quartering to you is way better than a full dead on frontal.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I know this shot is the rage these days on all the Elk101xxxxx YouTube channels, but pioneer bow hunters like Bill Allard and the late Danny Moore really were the first to promote it when it wasn’t cool, These guys were hard on elk when archery elk wasn’t cool.

Reason for this post? Close encounters on a good elk hunt are few and far, if you want to be a guy who kills elk vs the guy who simply likes to bow hunt elk, learn where to shoot a bull long before the season starts so when that 300 inch bull is standing head on at 5 yds, he isn’t going anywhere but on your pack frame.

Elk hunting can drag on…… tough getting up on day 15 when you should have been done on day 2!
100% agree but emphasis on the Learning portion! Needs to be right angle, right head positioning and right range! Lots of Jerry’s walking around thinking they can take 30+ yard frontals or don’t really understand anatomy or head positioning. Should be an option that you are familiar with and know when to use.

bowman72

FNG
I agree 100% with the 20 yard and under frontal shot. I haven't shot an elk this way, but many deer. They are walking straight to you and suddenly they SEE you. At close range they are gonna bolt and you won't get a better shot. Practice this shot and be 100% confident. No 40 yard arrow flinging here. JMO

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider

I learned about frontal watching Abe Meline videos. (In the 90's. I am old!) As a lifelong treestand WT hunter, the concept blew my mind and was counter to all of the bowhunting education to date.

In 2000, I had a small 5x run into 8 yards. I drew back as he was trotting in. Hit him where the windpipe enters chest. Arrow was hanging out of his hip. Watched him run, start the side step and tip over. Never would have taken the shot if I had not taken the time to study the anatomy of deer/elk.

I have not witnessed any of my other elk kills tip over.

High reward/low risk deadly shot at close distances.

sndmn11

WKR
I agree 100% with the 20 yard and under frontal shot. I haven't shot an elk this way, but many deer. They are walking straight to you and suddenly they SEE you. At close range they are gonna bolt and you won't get a better shot. Practice this shot and be 100% confident. No 40 yard arrow flinging here. JMO

The first mule deer I killed with a bow was 47 yard frontal, he died just as quick as if it was a 10 yard shot. It was a precise shot with precise intention and definitely not a fling in the hope and pray kind of sense.

There are situations I wouldn't hesitate to do the same, and situations I wouldn't consider it. The result is still the same regardless of distance; deliver a broadhead to the important parts from the front and things die very fast.

(I am a-ok with your <20yds opinion for your own hunting)

Taken 3 bulls and all 3 have been with frontals. First was <20 yards, next two were further but I was fully confident with the situation. First bull ran ~60-70 yards. Second bull ~80 yards. Third made it 40. Watched two fall and only reason I didn't see the other fall was due to thick timber.

OP
C
Again, for me, it's those 15 yd and in scenarios. Past 20, too risky for me, but when you have a guy calling, and the elk is blind to the shooter, it's deadly. If I could add one thing, I much prefer them slightly angled/quartered vs dead on frontal as it's much easier to see the shoulder line and put it in the collar and you don't have to worry about neck or head interference.

bowman72

FNG
The first mule deer I killed with a bow was 47 yard frontal, he died just as quick as if it was a 10 yard shot. It was a precise shot with precise intention and definitely not a fling in the hope and pray kind of sense.

There are situations I wouldn't hesitate to do the same, and situations I wouldn't consider it. The result is still the same regardless of distance; deliver a broadhead to the important parts from the front and things die very fast.

(I am a-ok with your <20yds opinion for your own hunting)
Yep, If you got the skills- it's a good shot. The distance is all personal.

I compete in 100yard archery challenges and can make some great long shots. In a hunting situation, I feel i would get too rattled to make that shot 100% at longer range.a Some guys got ice in their veins and can hunt just like target practice.