layers needed for March Alaska trip

v8rider

FNG
Trip to Alaska in March, snowmobiling & hunting around Dillingham area with high's ~30 and low's ~16. Could I get away with Kuiu Axis gear over good base and mid layer or do I need a heavier down puffy jacket? I will have a shell over the Axis if required for wind and rain.
Thanks

In all seriousness. A base 170 merino T on top and 150 boxer on bottom is shiznit. How far you're riding and aggressive is not known.
A 200 bottom and a 300+ on top will work for the mid. The outerlayer needs to be waterproof and breathable.
Not riding to generate heat, you'll need more "insulation" AKA 300 bottom and use 3/4 thermals. Carry a puffy and use under the top. when needed.

You left alot of the things out of your post that needs to be known. 16 °F and rain doesn't make sense.

Also add that you'll need a balaclava and neck gaiter when moving. Don't forget the beanie when you disembark the ride and move on foot and ditch the helmet.

Thanks, yeah there are a lot of unknowns right now.... 16 are the lows, might get up to 33 - 36 during the day and worried snow turns to rain or snow piling up on the outer shell melts.

Probably ask who you’re going with/folks who live there? Nothing more miserable than a snow machine and the wrong gear.

Probably ask who you’re going with/folks who live there? Nothing more miserable than a snow machine and the wrong gear.
Agree we have plenty of early march days where is starts off below zero. Used to camp on the iditarod trail in early march & don't ever remember rain, but then again maybe you are going late march.

Back