Layering Piece Comparisons

SFN2821

FNG
Hey All,

Looking to revamp some of my whitetail clothing system this season to reduce bulk and streamline gear a bit. I hunt mostly public in PA and walking long distances to the stand is common. Want to reduce weight and bulk as much as I can while at least maintaining or improving performance/efficiency.

Hoping to gather feedback from people that have used any or all of these pieces of gear. What did you like, not like. What worked, didn't work. Anything at all is appreciated.

Sitka Celsius Midi Jacket vs Sitka Ambient Jacket. Heard great things about the midi (problem is finding one at this point with it's discontinuation). The ambient seems to be quite mixed at this point, so I'm hesitant. I currently have a First Lite Uncompahgre 1.0 version. Love it. But wondering if the midi or ambient reduces bulk/weight, gives added performance. I wouldn't mind having one less hood to layer with either.

Stratus Jacket vs Jetstream Jacket. Currently own a jetstream and understand that they are identical outside of the brushed face. My jetstream is a real athletic fit and I'm assuming the same for the stratus, but that uncompahgre layered underneath can feel bulky. Is the brushed face/hearing ports on the hood worth it?

Thanks in advance!

I've used all the pieces mentioned and currently use the Jetstream (new version released last year) and the ambient. I also hunt a fair amount in PA too.

I don't think there is much difference performance wise in the Jetstream vs stratus, just different feature sets. The face fabric of the stratus is quieter, but it also holds in moisture and snow way more. I really don't find the Jetstream that loud, I think that complaint is overblown. I switched to the new Jetstream from stratus because the fit was looser in the torso and sleeves and is better for layering. And it has pit zips which I find valuable for mobile hunting, east or west.

The biggest reason I like the ambient over the midi is the is that it comes in tall sizing which I need. I think both serve the same function though of being good pieces for cold walk ins, or stretching a softshell in moderately cold conditions. For me, they would take a softshell from low 40s into high 30s - but I am kind of cold natured. Many people claim to use them with a softshell into the 20s, but I couldn't swing that.

I like the thumbholes on the sleeves of the midi, but they are cut kind of short so it wasn't really comfortable using them, just kept the sleeves from riding when you layered.

I ordered the ambient in a solid color and have been wearing it pretty much non stop since last October, both hunting and day to day, very comfortable.

Regardless of what the promotional materials say neither the midi or the ambient are durable and are not effective moisture barriers. I would say the midi may be slightly more durable than the ambient but I would not choose either if I am busting brush, branches, or thorns.

I've never owned an Unc but I think if you tried to layer under either jacket it would compress the insulation and limit it's effectiveness. The softshells as re really cut for either the ambient or midi, and a few base / grid layers.

OP
S

SFN2821

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I actually ended up picking up a pair of the stratus bibs and compared it to the jetstream jacket that I already owner. I'd agree with you that I don't find the jetstream much/if any louder than the stratus so I'll probably run that combo for this season.

I like the idea of the ambient/midi simply for layering purposes under the jetstream, but I'm not sure it's something I "need" since I have a FL uncompahgre for insulation at the moment. I'd love to get rid of one more hood or reduce bulk in my layers, but $$.

Thanks again. Appreciate the insights.

I used my ambient hoody almost exclusively this season for hunting either as a stand alone layer or a mid layer. Really liked it for what it is, a warm above its weight layer.
I also have a midi jacket and the warmth difference between the midi and the ambient is very small. It is nice to have both as i could wear one and my son the other. The midi material is more quiet than the ambient, and the ambient is a little more wind resistant, but other than that, they are almost interchangeable for treestand hunting, with one major difference. The ambient breathes much better, so if you walk in a decent way and tend to warm on that, the ambient would be the way to go.

I also have stratus and jetstream (old version). Like them both but for treestand hunting i always reach for the stratus over the jetstream. I feel it is a more protective jacket for static hunting.

Having all these and having choices is easy, but if i were to recommend something to buy for treestand hunting, i would recommend the ambient and stratus combo. It works well.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the thread... Did you buy yet?

I have a few too many Sitka pieces. I just replied on another thread: Traverse/Ambient thoughts

I have both the Stratus and Celsius but not the Jetstream. The Celsius can still be found now and then around the web. I think that Sitka meant for the Ambient to take its place across all gear sets. They may still announce new gear between now and July though.

Stratus is not athletic fit, it is standard but with a draw cord you can pull it in pretty well. I bought an XL and should have gotten a Large.

Celsius weighs 13oz in a Large, which I have. The sleeves are too short IF using the thumb holes. They should have made 'tall' versions if they were going to have thumb holes. It packs down OK enough so it would depend on your pack size if you are going to carry it in. The Ambient supposedly packs down smaller. The jacket is 18oz and the hoody 13oz and is less insulation/easier to pack than the jacket version.

I have over thought and read so much feedback and watched every video I think possible on them over the last couple years. My thoughts, for us here in PA is that the Stratus is the better option. But not by much. I called Sitka last year and asked their thoughts between the Stratus and Jetstream... his reaction: "If you have the Stratus, why would you want the Jetstream?"

I think it depends on the type of hunting you do and the layering you prefer. If you're in the northern tier you are dealing with a lot worse conditions than I am down in Lancaster County. I want a new Jetstream but right now would buy one in a solid for everyday. I don't think you can go wrong though with either up until the temps hit below 30. The Stratus is going to be better for PA, IMO, especially layered with the Celsius or Ambient. I also feel that Stratus is near silent compared to the Jetstream, which is not bad but IMO, there is a difference. I do think the Jetstream may resist water longer, however, but if rain is that much of a worry I would have a rain jacket.

If you already own the Jetstream and like it AND can layer under it, give it a go this year. If you can afford the Stratus or would consider buying used, then I would suggest getting it. At worst you have another option to mix/match and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One last thought... if you want to really go all in, get the Fanatic jacket or the Incinerator (extremely warm and light weight) for rifle/muzzleloader late season. You can go with the ambient over a base layer and stay perfectly warm without any other upper layers. I also have the Stratus bibs and love them and wear the Equinox midi pants under them when it is really cold. Perfect combo!