Sitka - Traverse vs Ambient?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to go with a new Sitka jacket and I'm torn between the Traverse and Ambient. I'll be using this for turkey season when the temps drop as well as during archery season before the leaves drop here in TN. I realize neither have any windstopper in them. I have a Jetstream that I could always layer over the Ambient, but to me it's just a touch too noisy for bowhunting whitetails.
Just between those 2 (Traverse & Ambient) which would you go with and why?

Taking the easy way out and saying both. I used the traverse over the ambient hoody a few times this season with temps in the 30s. If you are talking traverse vs ambient jacket and turkey, I think I would go with the ambient jacket over top of the apex hoody. I bowhunt only, so one of my primary goals with layering is to keep bulk to a minumum, so I avoid the traverse until it becomes necessary.

I will likely use the belichick active hoody over the apex for turkey, but temps here in Louisiana wont be as low as TN. If you can find one of them at a good price, might be worth looking at grabbing it along with the traverse. There isnt a whole lot of difference between the kelvin active hoody and the ambient outside of the sleeves. If you arent bowhunting turkey, then the traverse might be the way to go.

But, both.

The ambient is a layering piece with a relatively fragile (20D I think) exterior. great if you want a super light, warm mid layer but I doubt it would Hold up to much abuse.

The traverse is halfway between your jet stream and a fleece. The face is pretty durable and quiet. It will shed some wind and a little water. I love mine enough that I bought one in black and liked and wore that enough that I have beat it up a bit so I just bought another.

I have the MdWi (discontinued military version of Amnient) and the traverse and use them both a ton. The traverse is my favorite fleece for static insulation because it's like wearing your favorite hoody but warmer for hunting. I wore it every single deer hunt last year after the Temps dropped.

The ambient is a really really good active insulation piece but it's not as warm as the traverse. The traverse is a really hard to beat for a do all cool cold weather static piece. I do sweat my tail off in it hiking around though. My favorite deer combo this year was my traverse and my jetstream (or my dakota depending on if I wanted a hood or not)

You'll never catch me headed west without the MDWI / ambient anymore. I have a bunch of fleeces and I still use them, but for high activity it can't be beat with anything I have.

WoodBow

WKR
I think you will be happier with the traverse. The ambient is lighter and more comfortable but is quite fragile and I wouldn't recommend it as an outer layer. I wish the traverse had some kind of wind proofing. It would see more use from me if it did.

Lawnboi

WKR
The travers full zip heavy hoody is imo the worst Sitka piece Iv ever purchased.

The old traverse, and the ambient are great pieces.

Very different pieces. The ambient is much more breathable. The traverse is probably a touch warmer and more water/wind resistant (not proof). Both are quiet. If you are not super active wearing it, I would probably go with traverse. If you are going to be highly active the ambient is tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will be happier with the traverse. The ambient is lighter and more comfortable but is quite fragile and I wouldn't recommend it as an outer layer. I wish the traverse had some kind of wind proofing. It would see more use from me if it did.

The dakota hoody is basically a traverse with a windproof shell FYI.

WoodBow

WKR
The dakota hoody is basically a traverse with a windproof shell FYI.

Correct. The only reason i do not own a dakota is because it is too loud for bowhunting whitetails. But i bet i would wear it a ton in day to day life.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I've got both and, to be honest, hardly wear my traverse hoody anymore. Its nice and all, but I have better-fitting, warmer, quieter pieces for when it's actually cold. My ambient hoody on the other hand...my favorite piece of clothing I have ever bought. For its size and weight, it is incredibly warm and so comfortable. I have worn it on its own and layered in it and it never disappoints. I think it is going to be awesome for turkey season because of its warmth partnered with its awesome breathability.

Lawnboi

WKR
Can you elaborate?
The heavyweight traverse is thick like a jacket but cut like a base layer and it lacks stretch. Makes for an uncomfortable piece as a layer, and too tight as a dedicated outer. It also fits weird, and I fit in about anything in a medium.

I was a big fan of the original traverse and traverse hoody, and the ambient is the closest I have found to that, while being even lighter.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
The heavyweight traverse is thick like a jacket but cut like a base layer and it lacks stretch. Makes for an uncomfortable piece as a layer, and too tight as a dedicated outer. It also fits weird, and I fit in about anything in a medium.

I was a big fan of the original traverse and traverse hoody, and the ambient is the closest I have found to that, while being even lighter.
I could not agree more. I just cannot get it to fit right, and like you said I wear a medium in everything and never have problems with fit.

I could not agree more. I just cannot get it to fit right, and like you said I wear a medium in everything and never have problems with fit.
Man I must be the guy they built the traverse around... it fits me perfect and I layer up with it for almost every hunt starting early October through the end of the season. Crazy how different pieces fit different people and the styles that they use them- that's why they make so many I guess.

STAxel

FNG
Man I must be the guy they built the traverse around... it fits me perfect and I layer up with it for almost every hunt starting early October through the end of the season. Crazy how different pieces fit different people and the styles that they use them- that's why they make so many I guess.
What’s your height/weight? And what size did you order?

What’s your height/weight? And what size did you order?
I'm 6'2 215 to 220 depending on the season.
Long arms, long legs and a shorter torso. Athletic build, crossfitter and weightlifter so some pieces my shoulders don't fit into very well.

I got an xl- and in my specific traverse the arm length is just right for me.

jjwise97

FNG
I got a Traverse cold weather hoody and I like it a lot for the relatively mild temps we get in NC during deer season, somewhat water and wind resistant, but it’s not breathable at all. I keep it strapped to my pack until I’m in my stand and don’t put it on until I stop sweating. Not sure if the regular traverse gear is the same way or not.

Personally, for turkeys, the ambient would be a much better piece for me as I can’t sit still when I hear gobbling a ways off and it seems to be the most breathable warming layer that Sitka offers.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I am a whitetail trees stand hunter anymore and I found the new Traverse jacket/hoody to be a slightly thinner version of the Cold Weather Hoody. I think the fit is about the same, I am 6'2 192 and a large in either fits me fine but with no more than a heavy base layer. I did not get a new Traverse because it seemed redundant for what I already have.

I found the Ambient to be more noisy and it is a 'thin' outer so I wouldn't want to walk through much brush/briars with it and no way I would stalk in it. My friend bought an Ambient last year and loves it. He will walk about two miles one way to his favorite 'stump' up in north central PA and pack along his Incinerator jacket.

If I had to pick one I would lean toward the Traverse only because I see it as more functional as an outer layer on it's own or as a layering piece under a windproof shell/Stratus in my case. The Ambient, to me, is nice for more open country as an outer layer but for me, I don't want to wear it tracking or pushing for a friend where I hunt.

I am a whitetail trees stand hunter anymore and I found the new Traverse jacket/hoody to be a slightly thinner version of the Cold Weather Hoody. I think the fit is about the same, I am 6'2 192 and a large in either fits me fine but with no more than a heavy base layer. I did not get a new Traverse because it seemed redundant for what I already have.

I found the Ambient to be more noisy and it is a 'thin' outer so I wouldn't want to walk through much brush/briars with it and no way I would stalk in it. My friend bought an Ambient last year and loves it. He will walk about two miles one way to his favorite 'stump' up in north central PA and pack along his Incinerator jacket.

If I had to pick one I would lean toward the Traverse only because I see it as more functional as an outer layer on it's own or as a layering piece under a windproof shell/Stratus in my case. The Ambient, to me, is nice for more open country as an outer layer but for me, I don't want to wear it tracking or pushing for a friend where I hunt.
I couldn't agree more with your assessment