Law Enforcement Wyoming/ Montana

Reaching out to any police officers/ sheriff deputies/correctional officers/ any Fed officer

Trying to get a good read on some departments and or prisons in those 2 states specifically

Recommendations or just really any information people have on the lay of the land so to speak in various places as an LEO.

Interested in working out there in the next few years potentially.

PM’s are welcome as well. Just trying to learn of the demographics, to decide where I’d want to apply or not in the next couple years.

Really looking at Wyoming or Montana. Love them both.

wytx

WKR
Well the Laramie County Sheriff's Dept had this up down in Denver a while back.
Most all town will probably have openings. Bigger towns bigger crime and more violent.
Here in Laramie not so much violent crime but theft ,college related stupid stuff, parking issues and patroling the streets.
I know Highway Patrol is always looking for folks but not sure being out on I-80 in winter has a long term outlook for you. Pretty scary.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 135950 copy.jpg

My neighbor is Missoula sheriff deputy. Says all of them (dang near) live in ravalli county out of the liberal cesspool.

Orelds

FNG
I don’t have personal experience in those states, but from talking to folks who’ve worked there, Wyoming and Montana are both pretty laid-back and have small, tight-knit LEO communities. Wyoming’s departments are often small and rural, so you get to know the community really well. Montana offers a bit more variety, but it’s still pretty rural with a strong outdoor culture.

If you love the outdoors and want a more relaxed lifestyle, either state could be a good fit. It might be worth reaching out to local officers through social media or forums to get a real feel for the departments and living conditions.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd not recommend Montana State prison—pay is not great, morale doesn't seem to be great and they are understaffed (probably one reason morale is low).

As far as law enforcement in Montana, it runs the gambit, from 3 person Sheriff's office to 150 officers in Billings. Crime tends to run the gamut with the higher populated cities plenty busy with major crime to near Mayberry RFD in the least populated areas :ROFLMAO:

Look into retirement systems and pay scales. Both are states that give you a fair bit of latitude as a cop, which is good and bad.

I have a good friend that’s a trooper in MT and has a ton of fun with pursuits. They’re exciting, but carry a lot of liability.

A lot of dreamers post this general discussion forum……wow

To the OP, we underpay badly and the contingent that’s getting elected to the legislature this year is about to take a machete to the budget. Things aren’t what I’d call rosey for .gov employees. I’m not sure about Montana’s pay rates, but the COL is nutty there too.

I have to think Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie and Rock Springs are your best bet in WY.

As a general rules, smaller county agencies and municipalities will pay lower than your more populated areas. Also, training budgets will tend to be lower and with less staffing, opportunities to be gone are less. All things to think about.

Small agencies can be great, but they can also be a nightmare.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Not much for fed LE presence outside of Cheyenne and Casper. Mostly USMS, USPO, and some tribal elements. Its not a very friendly state for feds.

State has DCI, WHP, and DOC. WYDOC is alright, but you will be in towns like Lusk, Newcastle, Rawlins, or Torrington. FAR from ideal locations. Last I heard they were hurting for people and OT was flowing.

I think @Jason Snyder's post ^ is spot on. Small town/county cops go to larger towns for the pay. There is some tradeoff between the cost of living between the two but I know small town cops make a lot less than the coal miners and oilfield workers.

Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions about particular areas or agencies, I may have some knowledge.