Late season pants Elk season

Looking for pants for late season elk and late season archery Mule deer in Idaho. I hunted middle to late November in the mountains this past season for elk and December archery in the snow for deer. I currently use Kuiu attack pants with merino leggings under but when I stop to glass long I get really cold. I need something a little warmer and more water resistant. I don’t want anything I’ll sweat like crazy when hiking but would like something a little warmer. I’ve looked at FT foundary, Kuiu Guide and Sitka Timberline. Anyone with experience with these or other recommendations?

Randle

WKR
I have the kuiu guides and really like them from November thru December elk hunts

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the Kuiu Axis, vents make hiking more comfortable, as do zip off base layers. I don’t think anything will be warm enough for stationary glassing, that’s what puffy pants are for.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kuiu Axis Hybrid pants and really like them. The seat and lower third of the legs are waterproof, plus they’re fleece lined just enough to keep warm when you stop. They have leg zips so you can open them and stay cool while hiking. I did also run the Stone Glacier M7 this year. They’re waterproof and fleece lined. They also have the leg zips (bigger than Kuiu’s zip) so you can stay cool while moving. I really liked these and was super impressed. Not having to carry an extra set of rain pants like I do when I wear my Axis was nice as well.

- I am not crazy about the fit of the First lite foundarys but I think it is a personal thing. They are good pants. Like the knee pads. Prefer the kuiu version of hip vents.

- timberlines were my favorite late season mountain pants. Agree they don’t do much on their own for warmth. I find gaiters are a must in snow and the leg opening is a bit tight for bulky boots like my kenetrek mountain extremes. I think Sitka should run the fabric down the entire lower legs and add hip vents, which leads me to…

- kuiu axis hybrid. I bought a set top and bottom this year. I ended up wearing them for an entire week in Colorado in cold temps (as low as 5* but mostly 20s) and in 1-3 feet of snow. The seat and lower leg waterproofing worked like a champ. The leg openings were somehow a magic perfect fit for my bulky kenetreks but tight enough that they didn’t let in nearly any snow. Keep in mind that I postholed for 5 days In 1-3 feet. I carried my gaiters the first 2 days and then left them at camp. Never wore them. They have a bit of insulation like the guides or a soft shell for some warmth. I ran mine with a kuiu 97 base layer and was fine. The hip vents rock for when I was was climbing and heating up and the fit is as good as any kuiu pant. If I had one gripe it would be that I missed not having knee pads once or twice. Apart from that, they were outstanding for my limited amount of use.

t_carlson

WKR
I tried the Kuiu Guides and Sitka Timberlines and settled on the Guides. They are more wind resistant and have a micro fleece lining. But, they don’t have kneepads like the Timberlines do, which is a bummer because I’m addicted to them.

topher89

WKR
Stone Glacier De Havillands or the M7s. I wear the De Havillands from November to April here in Colorado. The M7s maybe a better choice if you are in really wet conditions

HiMtnHntr

WKR
My late season pants up until this year have always been wool. This season I picked up a pair of first lite Catalyst Foundry Pants. These are easily the best, most comfortable hunting pants I've owned. So far they are holding up great.

So I don't like knee pads at all and really don't even like the pocket material being in the pants.

Used the Timberlines on a hunt. They were pretty great. The wp seat and knees were great. I remember the knee pad velcro or something bothered me.
I really have the best luck with sitka fit.

I used the FL corrugate foundry this year.
Love the suspenders, did not notice the knee pad pockets.
Couldn't run the vents all way open because I would get snow inside in certain situations.
Wish they had WP seat and knees.
They seemed a little baggy, but im rite between sizes, so I sized up.

What is the kuiu equivalent to the foundry?

The Axis is fleece backed?
I definitely do not need that.

I've also see quite a few folks say to just run rain gear such as the Yukon. Wish im planning to try next year. Run if with nothing underneath for me or maybe a light based.

If you need warmth for glassing. Puffy pants.

KUIU Axis or Guide. Depends on use and features you want.
Guide is a little thicker but bigger vents and warmer unless there is a stiff wind.
Axis cut the wind but aren’t as thick when you stop if your leg is pushed up against them.
Pair either with peloton 97 bottoms and it takes a lot to be cold. If glassing for extended periods in cold look into some down bottoms.
SG Dehavilland are great pants but don’t quite match either of the KUIU in true late season conditions.
Nothing First Lite is worth owning in my experience unless you are paying significantly less or they are given to you.
Timberlines are ok at best. They have the waterproof seat and knees but are only remotely warm because they don’t breathe well. They were the best option Sitka had for a long time which is why so many swore by them. Both the KUIU or SG will significantly outperform them across late season conditions.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Stone glacier M7. They are a little noisy but windproof and waterproof. The fleece lining is super comfortable. The side zip vents let you dump a lot of heat while hiking. For really cold temps you can pair them with their helio base layer and still be able to zip open down to the skin. Also love the contour waist system. I've never needed to wear a belt with any of stone glaciers pants and when your out there for a while and start dropping lbs there is a lot of adjustment if you get the right size. Great late season pants!!

PAPublic

FNG
I like my timberlines and can easily a light & mid layer under if needed. Hip vents would be sweet but I do fine without. I’m guessing we’ll see more hip vents from Sitka soon

OP
Idaho_bow_hunter
Stone Glacier De Havillands or the M7s. I wear the De Havillands from November to April here in Colorado. The M7s maybe a better choice if you are in really wet conditions

The M7s look sweet but with a price tag of $330, I can think of other things I’d spend that much money on. I was thinking the Kuiu guides but the outer material is apparently different from the attack pants and thinner. I’m thinking maybe I just need to go with puffy pants. I just don’t tend to sit and glass for a long time when hunting in the snow in an effort to stay warm. It also seems like a hassle continuing to put on and take off the puffy pants. I’m looking for something like the Kuiu attacks but with a water resistant knee and seat reinforcement. Maybe the guides are what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axis are what you want for waterproof knee and seat and similar to attack. Could also look at the talus hybrid but they can be a little cold not having any fleece lining.
Guides are a slightly thicker material than the axis but no knee or seat special features

Sitka Timberline is great. The waterproof seat and knees are great for the snow. They cut the wind fairly well but are still pretty breathable. My legs sweat a lot and I have found synthetic base layer bottoms help manage that better. I use either the core lightweight or core heavyweight bottom depending on temps and activity level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Timberlines, but to be honest, I find myself wearing a pair of Korean war wool fields pants that I have washed with waterproof treatment and had tailored. Pants cost me $35 and are bomb proof, and tightest weave I've seen in a wool pant. They are almost like a heavy kaki material but it's wool and do not pill at all. You need a layer underneath though as they can itch.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw