Late Season Mule Deer Hunt - Southern Arizona

JT3

FNG
Hi everyone,

I’m new to Rokslide and Internet forums so go easy on me 😉

I wanted to introduce myself and get into the forums. My name is Jay and I reside in Lake Arrowhead Ca. - D14 for all you California hunters. I hunt D14 every season and know the zone very well. Other than D14 and D15 I haven’t spent much time deer hunting other areas.

However, I’m finally getting the chance to head to Arizona January 10-14 for the OTC late season hunt. I’ve narrowed the hunt down between the units 34-36’s. I’m wondering if anyone in the hunt community could suggest a good unit from the above or a unit somewhat close to those above. My Goal is a mule deer but couse is great as well. I don’t want anyone’s secret spots or anything like that, just a good unit to pursue and learn. Also, if anyone is interested in D14/15 info, I fill my tag every year in these zones and would certainly help out anyone looking to hunt these Ca zones in exchange for a bit of Az guidance.

Lastly, saftey concerns and tips would be greatly appreciated as I’ve heard of some of the drug smuggling stories etc.

Thanks in advance for replies and this forum looks great!

RoJo

WKR
All the border units are going to have drug and human smuggling activity. But the smugglers don't like unwanted attention. I do not know any people who hunt down there having any real issues.

The 36's are the only ones I am somewhat familiar with down there, and all three of them have decent deer numbers, both mulies and Coues.

OP
J

JT3

FNG
Hey RoJo,

I appreciate the info and quick reply. I’ve done some exploring in 36B before but not much and it’s been years. It sure was a great looking area.

Thanks again!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
On safety,
lots of guys cut themselves badly, especially with today's ultra-sharp options like Tyto and Havalon... Just be careful in the heat of the moment when running blades.

RoJo

WKR
Hey RoJo,

I appreciate the info and quick reply. I’ve done some exploring in 36B before but not much and it’s been years. It sure was a great looking area.

Thanks again!

36B is a good unit. Be sure to study the rules regarding the wildlife refuge.

OP
J

JT3

FNG
I will definitely learn the rules prior to hunting the area. Have you ever camped at the refuge and used it as a homebase during your hunts?

The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge requires that you camp in designated camp sites. The sites are marked with a numbered stake and are spread all over the refuge. You can get a brochure at the refuge headquarters with a map in it showing the camp sites and the closed area around the headquarters. I’ll be down there from the 4th through the 8th hunting javelina and deer. Definitely some neat country.

Sent from the Arizona desert

OP
J

JT3

FNG
El Gavilan, thanks for the info. I definitely plan on getting a brochure upon arrival and really learning the area as much as I can from afar before arriving. That’s great you’ll be out that way as well. I hope you have great time and harvest an animal or two!