Late season Elk in the snow.

Logan T

WKR
Just wondering if anyone here chases elk in the late season with snow on the ground. Being in Montana, we can hunt elk from the beginning of september through the end of november, giving us the chance to hunt the elk in all phases of the rut and weather. I love bowhunting the critters and have killed several bulls during bow season, but I am willing to pass on descent bulls waiting for "the one"--usually just bigger than the year before-- since we can hunt with every weapon every year, and there is something in me that can't wait for the late season when you can track an old bull down in the snow, just you and him. Don't get me wrong, if I had things my way, I would be tagged out in September every year! But we have had some big snow storms roll in my areas this year dumping a few feet up high, and November is supposed to be real wintery. Just wondering if there is anyone here who likes getting tired and frozen in waist deep snow every once in a while like I do!??

As a fellow Montanan, I love it. I was almost sad when I punched my tag on my bull this September. First thought the next day was about the late season hunting I won't be doing. I am trying to decide where I will go to seek out a big Muley instead. If it goes the way I dream, that hunt will be a long track through a foot or two of snow, and I don't care whether I get the animal, so long as I see him once, and get to know he was a worthy adversary.

As a fellow Montanan, I love it. I was almost sad when I punched my tag on my bull this September. First thought the next day was about the late season hunting I won't be doing. I am trying to decide where I will go to seek out a big Muley instead. If it goes the way I dream, that hunt will be a long track through a foot or two of snow, and I don't care whether I get the animal, so long as I see him once, and get to know he was a worthy adversary.

I'm with you there... Like I said if I had it my way I would be tagged out in september every year, but I do love the late season. And like you said I only need to see the animal once, be it a bull or big muley, and I am actually thinking about that time of year more than bow season after fall is over. I was tracking a buck 2 falls ago on halloween below a solid cliff, and he ended up going up into them and above them in the only spot anything could for the mile and half of cliff. He ended up meeting up with 2 other tracks and circled back above where I had come up, and I rounded a corner on the mountain and saw 3 of the top 4 biggest mule deer bucks I've ever seen standing there at 40 yards. Pulled the gun up as they went around the corner and saw them one other time. smallest one was in the 180s and the biggest one was freakin huge. Been even more hooked on the late season since!

But, there is something about a big old lone bull in deep snow that is just as awesome as those big mulies, and thats what is on my mind now!

Hey, that's a time that I've come to cherish. I think (and it is, obviously) a whole 'nother way of elk hunting. There's something about the snow swirls, beds melted through the snow, and a fluff that makes a slow stalk absolutely silent pretty dang cool. I think with the craziness of the rut gone, you start getting into these one-on-one encounters with a bull throughout a late season that makes it all worth it and the game of "hunting chess" starts picking up new rules as well with those bulls solo'd out.

Utah has the extended archery season that goes until mid December in certain areas. I've never taken one with my bow in the deep snow, it seems like something is always wrong. snow is too crunchy or they are bedded out in the open with no way to stalk in on them. i've gotten close to shooting several times but haven't yet. it sure is fun though!

Here in Idaho we get 12 days of muzzy season at the end of November. Now the rules on muzzleloaders limits you to decent conditions due to open breach and the possibility of wet powder, but aside from the September rut this is one of my all time favorite hunts if the snow conditions are ideal. No hunters, rutting whitetails, and tracking a lone bull through the steep and deep make late season hunting one that is hard to beat for me.

Back