Backcountry elk hunting gear in the late season

Hunter E

FNG
I have yet to set foot in the backcountry but I am putting in for my first late season elk hunt here in Oregon this year. What’s some must haves (clothing, packs, boots, food, etc) on a November backcountry elk hunt in this so very wet state?

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Apply yourself to a better state is the best advice I have for you. Lived my whole life in this state I can’t wait to be able to leave. If your dead set on Oregon you kinda have to pack for wet to snow depending on unit.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to set foot in the backcountry but I am putting in for my first late season elk hunt here in Oregon this year. What’s some must haves (clothing, packs, boots, food, etc) on a November backcountry elk hunt in this so very wet state?
Need more info, how do you define "backcountry"?

Are you hunting west or east side?

OP
Hunter E

Hunter E

FNG
Gonna hopefully be hunting elk for(living in the woods) 5-6 days in the east side of Oregon anywhere from nov 1st to November 19th depending on which tag I draw if I draw.

OP
Hunter E

Hunter E

FNG
Apply yourself to a better state is the best advice I have for you. Lived my whole life in this state I can’t wait to be able to leave. If your dead set on Oregon you kinda have to pack for wet to snow depending on unit.
I’m going to do that as well. Being 21 years old I don’t have many resources to make those hunts actually happen yet but I can get points for those states for when I’m ready but for now I’m stuck in Oregon, maybe just maybe Idaho this year.

Piercecounty2018

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to do that as well. Being 21 years old I don’t have many resources to make those hunts actually happen yet but I can get points for those states for when I’m ready but for now I’m stuck in Oregon, maybe just maybe Idaho this year.
Which unit?

Gonna hopefully be hunting elk for(living in the woods) 5-6 days in the east side of Oregon anywhere from nov 1st to November 19th depending on which tag I draw if I draw.
Really depends on what unit you’re applying for.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
By that it sounds like you mean vehicle based camping and day hunts from camp. This is a good way to go for Eastern Oregon.
Early November can be a wide range of weather from mild grey skies to a foot of snow. Your rig should have chains and a shovel. Always keep an eye on the forecast when out there if theres a chance of snow.
For day hunts most simple day packs will do, big enough to carry extra clothing layers + raingear. I like to carry thigh gaiters for miserably rainy or wet snow conditions. You should also bring a simple frame packboard for hauling out elk quarters back to the truck. Get your elk down, mark it on your GPS and start hauling meat back and forth till its done. If you cant get it all done before dark hang the quarters in the closest tree overnight but no guarantee a predator wont get it but better off the ground anyways.

TaperPin

WKR
When it’s mixed cold/snow/rain staying dry is the biggest challenge. During the day try to avoid getting hot because any sweat just condenses on the inside of your jacket. Anything wet has a hard time drying out at night, and moisture in a small tent is hard to get rid of.

Also, make sure you can navigate well. Many places look completely different with and without snow on the ground.

Most guys don’t seem to like gaiters while hunting, but I’ll use them anytime there’s ankle deep snow or more.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you know something I don’t the Idaho draw for nonres was in December and sold out all elk and deer tags for 24. Base camp from a rig is a good way to get started. Especially the time of year you are looking at. I would nt be to concerned with packing camp in to far until you get some experience under your belt and maybe find tune your gear. As you hunt make a list of things that would help you in the future. It irritates me to come across something I forgot a couple hunts in a row cause it didn’t make my list to get in my totes.

Rubber boots, Helly Hansen Impertech rain, gear, and a ground blonde for when you just can’t stand it anymore.

Eastern Oregon is basically the same weather-wise as Idaho or other western states—maybe a little wetter and not as cold. But still high desert.

My main advice is to bring a couple different outfits, even if you gotta buy cheap wool socks, polypro, fleece, and a shell at Goodwill. Once stuff gets wet, it’s tough to dry unless you have a stove.

I’ll second the advice that you truck camp rather than backpack. Gonna make life a lot simpler and cheaper. Also, there’s almost nowhere in Northside that’s far enough from a road to make backpacking worthwhile.

Just so you are aware, the Northside tag that you can draw with 0 points is a cow only hunt. Bull tags in that unit take like 3 points usually.

Hope you have a great time and find some elk!

OP
Hunter E

Hunter E

FNG
Eastern Oregon is basically the same weather-wise as Idaho or other western states—maybe a little wetter and not as cold. But still high desert.

My main advice is to bring a couple different outfits, even if you gotta buy cheap wool socks, polypro, fleece, and a shell at Goodwill. Once stuff gets wet, it’s tough to dry unless you have a stove.

I’ll second the advice that you truck camp rather than backpack. Gonna make life a lot simpler and cheaper. Also, there’s almost nowhere in Northside that’s far enough from a road to make backpacking worthwhile.

Just so you are aware, the Northside tag that you can draw with 0 points is a cow only hunt. Bull tags in that unit take like 3 points usually.

Hope you have a great time and find some elk!
Yeah I’ve been doing more research I keep changing my mind on what unit I should hunt, I’m looking into the east central cascades tag then my second choice will probably be a cow or spike tag just for some experience and to fill the freezer. Can I still get my general western elk tag if I don’t draw anything? Thanks for you input also

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Yes unfortunately you can join the rest of the population on the west side regardless. Skim through the regs a bit will give you an idea what units you have a chance of drawing and how many people put in for them.

Jlujan01

FNG
I would say binos and a spotter with a tripod are top of the list followed by a good double wall shelter or a tipi with a stove. Make sure you have a pad with a good R-Value or you will freeze no matter the rating of your sleeping bag. Puffy pants and jacket can add to comfort while sleeping and are almost a necessity for any November glassing session. Get a good layering system where you can strip down if it is a hot November or find the sweet spot if it’s frigid. I use a standard poly base layer alone if it’s not too cold and throw on a synthetic fleece hoodie when it’s colder. The most important thing to pack in is a good mindset and knowing you will be cold. Your body will adapt after a few days but it can be tough. Hand warmers can make things feel much better as well.

I bring a lot of soup mixes and bone broth packets. Coffee, tea or cider can help with the cold mornings.

Extras would be some micro spikes and poles. Some guys love insulated boots but if you have sweaty feet you may find your feet get much colder with them after a long hike so that may take some trial and error for yourself to figure it out.

You still have time to get your name in the hat for many states and there are still many November hunts that are OTC for elk across the west.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I’ve been doing more research I keep changing my mind on what unit I should hunt, I’m looking into the east central cascades tag then my second choice will probably be a cow or spike tag just for some experience and to fill the freezer. Can I still get my general western elk tag if I don’t draw anything? Thanks for you input also
I find that the first time I apply for a tag I usually got it. Dont know why, but do your research well. Otherwise, it takes me about 4 to 6 years of points to draw an any bull tag in Eastern Oregon.
In the off years I hunt general season coast range.