Last Rifle Build

TCC

FNG
Hey Guys,
At 56, am thinking of building my last rifle. I backpack hunt, but use my horses to pack out. Am at heart a archery hunter (love it up close), but got into LR - 20 yrs ago and killed a lot of elk past 600 yds. I now want to enjoy elk hunting archery style - but would not want to miss an opportunity at 700 yds. I want to hunt with a 20” barrel plus suppessor. What cartridge do you think?

7 saum with a 168-180gr bullet would be hard to beat. If you wanted more bullet a 300prc with a 200-225gr bullet. Ballistics will be similar.

Driftin

FNG
300 wsm 175 gr Nosler Long Range will do the trick. Lots of parts out there for the build too.

If you want to reload you could go 7SAUM. If you want factory then I’d go 7PRC.

Fun to think about all the great options. Long story short, I'd probably go with 7 PRC. I suspect it'll maintain popularity and make finding components easy enough in the future. 7 SAUM, 300 PRC or 300 norma would be cool too, should be plenty of brass available for each. I think the some of the best advise out there, as discussed on Shoot2hunt and talking with guys at UM, is think about what your goals are, what animals do you want to shoot (elk), how far do you want to shoot them (up to 700), what bullet or class of bullet do you want to shoot for the given caliber, determine how fast you need to push that bullet to allow it to perform at said distance given barrel length considerations, and how much recoil do you want to put up with? When you work through that process and running numbers through a ballistic calculator it answers a lot of questions and also makes you realize there are lots of great options! I'm intrigued by the 6mm, 6.5mm threads. 6PRC or 6UM could be sweet too. Reading some posts from Frank at Bartlein about generic info regarding burnout shot counts for various cartridges, maybe just order a couple barrels at the start lol.
The BC on 180 ELDM's is awesome, G7 around 0.4. Standard atmospherics, start that baby at 2700fps and its still hanging onto 1957fps at 700 yards. Should get the job done. More speed gets my titties hard though, if my chrono said 2700, not going to lie, I'd be a little sad.
The BC on a 215 Berger, G7 around .354 (recommend custom drag models), start that at 2700 fps and still doing 1870 fps at 700. Again I'd want to blast faster but just gives an idea.
The BC on a 115 DTAC, I think I've seen G7 around .293, start that at 3200 fps, still blazing at 2114 fps at 700.
I can't speak to shooting elk with fast 6's or 6.5's since I haven't done it, but I do like pictures and seeing what bullets do, so hope they keep adding to those threads.
Good luck and enjoy the build!

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of building a 20 in suppressed 7PRC that should be good to 700 yards. Trying to keep it light and short for mountain hunting.

7 SAUM does it best in a short action, but you better reload.

280 AI or 7 PRC if you are ok with a long action.

I’m gonna bet you reload, and the SAUM is probably gonna do it best in a shorter barrel like you would like.

I haven’t been disappointed in mine, and I use mine very similarly to what you describe. 22” with a suppressor here.

Tex68w

WKR
7SAUM is an amazing caliber but you have to reload, such a shame it never caught on mainstream. I'd go 7 PRC if looking to carry it for the next 15-20 years, that's my next build for western big game. 300 WSM is another good one suggested.

alcvndnb

FNG
Not to beat a dead horse but I would go 7SUAM for a short action or a 7PRC for a long action. Both great ballistics and can really kill anything in NA with the right bullet and distance

Traveler

WKR
Ha, I’d ask you! You’ve killed a lot of elk past 600 yds over 20 years, which cartridge was your favorite experience?

And it’s hard to beat .300 WinMag.

OP
T

TCC

FNG
Ha, I’d ask you! You’ve killed a lot of elk past 600 yds over 20 years, which cartridge was your favorite experience?

And it’s hard to beat .300 WinMag.
Most were with a wildcat that I had a reamer made for - 330Dakota necked down to a 7mm w40degree shoulder w/out brake or suppressor at 11.2 lbs w:/scope. Basically what a 28 Nosler is today, but long before it was available. Couple elk each with 7 Rem Mag and 338 Lapua improved.
Now, I want a light, short, suppressed rifle to make life a little easier getting into the backcountry. Reading all the 6 and 6.5 threads was leaning towards a 6.5 saum or prc. - But definitely can appreciate the benefits of a tamed down 7 or 30 caliber.
Thanks for all the comments.

Keep it simple, build a carbon fiber and titanium 5.3lb 20-22" 7PRC, put a can on it and never look back. That's what I did. Another option, the new Savage 110 Ultra-lightweight Elite in 7PRC or 300WSM w/ 20" carbon wrapped bbl and a can. It weighs a scant 5 pounds w/ an adjustable carbon folding stock. Available in March sometime but the 308 Win is out now. Also comes in 6.5CM, 6.5PRC and 300 Win mag too. Street price around $2800

Nontyp

FNG
I’m really liking my 338 RPM. I killed my bull with it last yr archery style at 25yds.