Last Minute Gear Items; Check Your List Twice

DeePow

FNG
What are you adding or replacing at the 11th hour? I just replaced my 3L Camelbak with a 3L UL Platypus when I discovered the Camelbak leaking on my antelope hunt a couple weekends ago. That’s the 2nd Camelbak that has leaked in 15 years. Not a dig on Camelbak. I’m hard on gear and I probably just wasn’t careful enough. How bout you? Are you scrambling for anything?
A handy tip I figured out after my Gregory disconnected draining a majority of 3L onto my gear, which thankfully I store in dry bags for organization, was to put zip ties around all the joints. That Gregory then popped so I’d steer clear of them. I also picked up the Platypus and haven’t had any issues yet

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just received my air compressor and tire plug kit. I get pretty far out in the woods sometimes and wanted to be better prepared for tire failures.
When I read this I immediately went to my tool kit to pull out my tire plug kit to take with me. Some plugs were there, but no tools. I panicked and ordered a new set on Amazon, supposed to be here today or tomorrow. Then I found the tools in my compressor bag that stays in the truck all the time.....duh. Now I have backups.

I also pulled out my 5gal jerry can and the gasket on my fill spout had a break in it. Had to scramble on that one too. New gaskets showed up yesterday. But surfing the web for them taught me one thing. I guess in 2009 our illustrious leaders passed new laws concerning gas cans and spouts. Now everything new has to have a bunch of useless safety features that make it very difficult to even pour your gas out of your cans. SMH I had wondered why my recent diesel can had a useless spout on it. I just thought it was defective (and it is), so used another "open" spout I had laying around to pour. When will our govt start working "for us" and stop fighting against us every step of the way....... :mad:

Truck front axle shaft replacement tomorrow morning.
My brother took his truck in for an oil change and it cost him $3k. They found some gaskets on the engine that were leaking....My oil change is tomorrow, hope that is all it is. That said, I have had my axles in and out enough I could probably do it in my sleep....lol.

11boo

WKR
Man I really like those Jerry can style cans, but I moved to the other VP racing style poly ones.
I’m getting most of my hair cut off this morning. Its going to be hot and dry up there, what a change.

And mousetraps. Gotta buy mousetraps.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m getting most of my hair cut off this morning. Its going to be hot and dry up there, what a change.
I came home this week from the barber and my wife said "I guess you're not planning on having to get a haircut for some time, huh"? It's elk season, I always go shorter in September. I sweat like crazy while elk hunting, might as well get rid of the hair to help. Just pour water over my head a few times a day for instant sweat relief. (y)

Jethro

WKR
My brother took his truck in for an oil change and it cost him $3k. They found some gaskets on the engine that were leaking....My oil change is tomorrow, hope that is all it is. That said, I have had my axles in and out enough I could probably do it in my sleep....lol.
Well good luck. My mechanic at work is replacing FR RT intermediate shaft. Splines stripped and/or clip broke. Sun or Mon I'll change the oil. Tues state inspection appointment. Sunday 11th head west. Hope the plan goes just like I have it drawn up.

I ordered my last minute items from GoHunt last Friday (8/26) and paid for USPS priority mail, which is 3 business days. Those items are still in transit..

Jeffro

FNG
When I read this I immediately went to my tool kit to pull out my tire plug kit to take with me. Some plugs were there, but no tools. I panicked and ordered a new set on Amazon, supposed to be here today or tomorrow. Then I found the tools in my compressor bag that stays in the truck all the time.....duh. Now I have backups.

I also pulled out my 5gal jerry can and the gasket on my fill spout had a break in it. Had to scramble on that one too. New gaskets showed up yesterday. But surfing the web for them taught me one thing. I guess in 2009 our illustrious leaders passed new laws concerning gas cans and spouts. Now everything new has to have a bunch of useless safety features that make it very difficult to even pour your gas out of your cans. SMH I had wondered why my recent diesel can had a useless spout on it. I just thought it was defective (and it is), so used another "open" spout I had laying around to pour. When will our govt start working "for us" and stop fighting against us every step of the way....... :mad:
I work at a powersports dealership and we can't even sell the 5gal race cans with a pour hose. They have to be separate part numbers and installed here or by the owner. We don't receive them as one part any longer.

11boo

WKR
I work at a powersports dealership and we can't even sell the 5gal race cans with a pour hose. They have to be separate part numbers and installed here or by the owner. We don't receive them as one part any longer.
My place calls them “Liquid transfer containers“. They come with the spout.
Clown world isn’t it?

OP
trophyhill

I use the rounded steel safety cans that have a flexible spout like you see on construction sites. They empty out pretty quick too. These I use for my 4wheeler and generator when the need arises. However they don’t work to well on my pickup. It goes in the hole but doesn’t want to come out very easily

I came home this week from the barber and my wife said "I guess you're not planning on having to get a haircut for some time, huh"? It's elk season, I always go shorter in September. I sweat like crazy while elk hunting, might as well get rid of the hair to help. Just pour water over my head a few times a day for instant sweat relief. (y)
I always get my hair cut all the way short the week before I leave. It's definitely worth it when you aren't going to be showering for a week. My timing was pretty poor this year though and with 3 weeks until our hunt I'm going to be pretty shaggy by the time I go in.