Kyrgyzstan Ibex Hunt

buzzy

WKR
Just got back from a mid Asian Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan. What an amazing adventure. I hunted with Global Safari Azerbaijan and had an excellent hunt. We were met in the VIP lounge at the Bishkek airport early in the AM and using the VIP service made getting ourselves and guns thru customs a breeze. It’s well worth the extra money.

From the airport we drove about 4.5 hrs to Naryn where we stopped for the night. Even though we arrived in Naryn around noon this is where we got some food and rest before the 6 hr drive to camp the next day. At camp we stayed in a nice house that had a sauna, soft beds, warmth, and good food. Each morning the guides would be up early preparing the horses and taking them to the trail head. We would hop in a car and they would be at the trail head waiting for us. We didn’t start early but waited till 7:30 or so before heading out each morning.

The 1st day we rode 19 miles on some amazing horses in the most spectacular mountain range I have seen. We saw many different groups of ibex but all far off in the distance. Towards the end of the day we found a group of 4 with 2 shooters. It took some time to figure out which one to shoot but we eventually got there and I had all the time in the world to set up but missed a chip shot at 360 yards on a real nice ibex. Not sure what happened but my best guess is I didn’t set up the rest well enough and yanked the shot high with the trigger pull. Only one of the guides spoke a little English and this did prove difficult in basic communications. After my 1st shot the guide was telling me to shoot again and I lined up on what I thought was the same animal. Well, that was a bad decision as I pulled the trigger and ended up killing one of the smaller billies.

These Ibex are beautiful animals and I was happy with the one I had shot. As I had said he wasn't the biggest but he looked dang nice to me. The guides weren't thrilled with what occurred but I wish I hadn't pulled the trigger the 2nd time as I made the assumption that the animals didn't move positions but they had and nobody told me. In any event I got a beautiful trophy.

The next day was spent exploring around camp as my buddy was out hunting for Ibex. He also had a Marco Polo tag and ended up killing a real nice Ibex and a beautiful Marco Polo in the span of a few days. We were able to spend a couple of days in Naryn and a couple in Bishkek exploring the towns. The people are friendly and live a simple life. Unfortunately we had to leave our Ibex there as the government officials who manage the paperwork were not in place to provide the needed documents. So anyone heading over there this year won't be able to bring their trophies back unless the department gets their act together and puts someone in the position to provide the proper paperwork.

Tips if you are heading over:

- It's cold, real cold, so dress warm
- Bring extra batteries
- Bring a soft gun case with a sling
- Diamox for altitude sickness and a prescription of antibiotic for stomach issues
- Be prepared to ride up to 20 miles a day
- Bring small gifts like t shirts or knives for the guides when you arrive. They love these small tokens of appreciation.
- If you aren't sure which one to shoot don't shoot and don't let them pressure you into shooting
- Have fun and roll with the punches996DCA15-A480-436C-90AA-435E92B6E992.jpeg754B1800-E9C8-40F7-998B-8BAEA180CC46.jpeg17714938-5330-4F91-8734-EECD2BFFAD39.jpegBAD93610-1942-4C6B-9D97-2EFB32A27CCE.jpegA8CD4BBC-692B-49A7-BFF6-63B686F07C11.jpeg89F071C2-D53C-4106-900E-11D3DE0D35C6.jpeg6201503D-0453-4217-82D4-D47EFE9A4C15.jpeg28E59B2C-E0A0-41B4-A8DB-8A7A4224E4C8.jpegCACD6E72-D0C5-492E-92B8-02248A5DE693.jpeg

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
First, my backside had sympathy pains reading 19 miles. Second, congrats on a heck of an adventure. Language barriers are a challenge. You came back alive and got a great adventure and saw lots of scenery. Most of us have a story where in the moment of animals milling around we lost track of the target animal. The high fence guys have it easy with the ear tags. Again, congrats and hope you are thawed our by now.

Norm555

WKR
Looks like an awesome adventure. Did they recommend bringing ski goggles? And are you glad you took those?

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Looks like an awesome adventure. Did they recommend bringing ski goggles? And are you glad you took those?
No they did not recommend them. I wear glasses and was concerned with being caught in a snow storm and also the sunlight. I did use them as it was really sunny but I wish I had got a cheap pair of prescription sun glasses for the sun. If we had been out while snowing they would have been awesome.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
I can’t even imagine dropping Marco Polo $$$ and not being able to bring it back.
I don’t believe anyone can bring a MP back with them. It’s up to a year wait on USFW to approve the paperwork for import.

S-3 ranch

WKR
A tan Shan & mid Asian ibexes cites import
“”Importing Argali into the USA requires a USFWS CITES import permit, which hunters must apply for, starting May 1st of each year. Each country has a limited number of Marco Polo licenses, on a first come, first serve basis. Once a hunter books a hunt, the local outfitters are provided with their passport, address and a deposit. They then submit the hunters’ names to the USFWS office. After an animal is shot, the government requires an export CITES Permit, Vet Certificate and hunting license from the country where the animal was taken.””

maybe the local official or outfitters messed up on the paper work???

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Right now the government agency that deals with the certificates in Kyrgyzstan is messed up. So nobody is getting the required paperwork to bring Ibex home with them at the current moment.

Has anyone had n the past been able to bring their MP home with them? I have been told that this was impossible and all are shipped at a later date once USFW approved the import but maybe I have been told incorrectly.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
A tan Shan & mid Asian ibexes cites import
“”Importing Argali into the USA requires a USFWS CITES import permit, which hunters must apply for, starting May 1st of each year. Each country has a limited number of Marco Polo licenses, on a first come, first serve basis. Once a hunter books a hunt, the local outfitters are provided with their passport, address and a deposit. They then submit the hunters’ names to the USFWS office. After an animal is shot, the government requires an export CITES Permit, Vet Certificate and hunting license from the country where the animal was taken.””

maybe the local official or outfitters messed up on the paper work???

The USFW did away with mail in paper CITES applications. Applications are now online and can be submitted anytime, but it can take over a year to process permits and issue them.

Also, the VIP lounge at the Bishkek airport is now mandatory for anyone entering the country with a firearm. It is $100 fee.

Congrats on a great adventure and a successful hunt!

Last edited:
Looks like an amazing trip! It still feels surreal that I’m leaving next week! My 2 buddies that recently went had no problem bringing their ibex back with them, that must have been a very recent change.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Looks like an amazing trip! It still feels surreal that I’m leaving next week! My 2 buddies that recently went had no problem bringing their ibex back with them, that must have been a very recent change.
Same here my buddy said
“”Paid $350 and have my cites permit in hand. Cape is salted/dried, skull is clean and horns are off. All of it is going in my big Kuiu checked duffle bag.”
1. on the mountain
2 horns ready for trip home
3.back in TexasFB4F3E9D-C1A0-447D-B964-F96A43607F56.jpeg8EAD8863-E015-4500-BBC3-7C9EBD02F4BA.jpegCD50EF0C-9847-4262-87B7-4B752901C7FD.jpeg

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Interesting but glad they got their permits. I ram into another group of hunters who were with a different outfitter and they couldn’t get their permits either so not sure why there is a discrepancy.

bascott1

WKR
I couldn’t get my permit either. Should be en route now. Killed first of sept, And don’t even wanna talk about how much it cost to ship it back.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
I couldn’t get my permit either. Should be en route now. Killed first of sept, And don’t even wanna talk about how much it cost to ship it back.
Yea I’m worried about the costs as well. If you don’t mind could you PM me what it’s costing you to get your ibex back so I have something to compare my costs to?? Thanks