Kung flu and the 2nd?

Azone

WKR
Not trying to start a complete Rokfight here, but how does everyone feel about if this will strengthen, or weaken citizens views of the 2nd amendment?

Let's hear it!

Last edited:

jfs82

WKR
I don't think it changes much of anyone's beliefs either way. But I am super jaded with our country's current climate of 'pick a side, hurl insults the other way, bury head in sand when they hurl them back, never hear a word each other are saying.'

Anti 2a 'see we had a nationwide crisis and things were fine, no need for guns'
Pro 2a 'see we stayed safe from Mad Max world because of our 2A rights'

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
[/QUOTE]

Each side will ultimately pick "their" narrative, but I can't help but wonder if it would sway the naysayers because they realize it's up to them. Up to them for defense, if shit hits the fan and the govt is overwhelmed to provide services.

I'm just shocked at the amount of people that would not be able to survive two weeks if locked in their homes right now, effective immediately. Everyone ticks due to different things, but when it comes to survival you see people's true colors.

jfs82

WKR

Each side will ultimately pick "their" narrative, but I can't help but wonder if it would sway the naysayers because they realize it's up to them. Up to them for defense, if shit hits the fan and the govt is overwhelmed to provide services.

I'm just shocked at the amount of people that would not be able to survive two weeks if locked in their homes right now, effective immediately. Everyone ticks due to different things, but when it comes to survival you see people's true colors.
[/QUOTE]
This I agree with completely.

Hmmm. A few thoughts:

- Read an article yesterday about how some gun shops are getting inquiries, some from California, about internet sales. “No sorry, we can’t sell you a gun by mail” stuff

- I have a few very liberal, anti gun friends that either thought they would or did buy guns after the trump election. One Jewish friend was convinced it was Germany in the 30s

- police won’t announce this but they are being told to cease many normal patrols and interventions. You will see a heavy presence in some places but may notice much less in others. They are also being told to ignore minor issues to reduce contact.

- during hurricane Katrina in New Orleans I saw the aftermath of looting, robberies and vehicles that had the gas stolen from their tanks. Police were focused on rescue and other problems. Old sheriff Harry Lee said “don’t come to Jefferson Parish (county) unless you are armed and can provide for your own protection.”

- during the black out in NY in 2003 the NYPD was barely visible in midtown Manhattan. Civilians were directing traffic at intersections

- during hurricane Sandy there was next to no police presence in my area until the days after the storm and then they were focused on safety (power lines) and recovery not patrols.

Short version is police are rarely going to prevent a serious crime, even under the best circumstances, unless the are onsite before it happens. In times like these, they will specifically be ordered to focus on certain things and to avoid others like normal patrols and small crimes/disputes.

If this gets wild, a lot of people will feel better if they have a gun to protect themselves. If they don’t already own it, then it is very likely too late to get one. While this episode may influence some, I really hope things don’t get bad enough to win over too many converts.

*zap*

WKR
2nd rights have already been steadily infringed on @ state levels. That may very well continue no matter what happens. I would imagine the cops are staying away from people as much as possible.....always see cars parked next to one another so the cops can chat.....now they still are but they have to talk louder because of the space between them.

2nd rights have already been steadily infringed on @ state levels. That may very well continue no matter what happens. I would imagine the cops are staying away from people as much as possible.....always see cars parked next to one another so the cops can chat.....now they still are but they have to talk louder because of the space between them.
Erie County Pa has ceased authorizing concealed carry permits. Possibly happening in other areas of the state.

I don't think it changes much of anyone's beliefs either way. But I am super jaded with our country's current climate of 'pick a side, hurl insults the other way, bury head in sand when they hurl them back, never hear a word each other are saying.'

Exactly.

2A has become the new abortion. You can't even have a reasonable discussion about it anymore.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought a 10mm on Monday, that I had actually been planning on purchasing before all this stuff broke out. I figured if I dont do it right then, no telling when I'd have a chance. Background checks were running 4-5 DAYS to process.. Im on the Colorado Front Range, and most everyone I saw purchasing were suburban family types. This uncertainty has alot of people fearful for what might come, and I think ALOT of people that would never consider themselves proponents of the Second Amendment, just became so or will become so, in the coming weeks

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
its not going to change anyones minds on either side. the nuts on both sides will spin it in their convoluted minds to suit their already preconceived opinions and add it to the narrative every chance they get

Wapiti1

WKR
When the fear dies down, few will connect the two in any way. The public memory of this nation is that of a dementia patient. No short term memory, just a distorted picture of the stuff that happened 30 years ago.

Now, the front line fighters for or against will use this as a talking point, but I doubt it will have a lot of resonance with most people unless there is an incident that people will remember.

I have a small fear that forced isolation will create issues for some of the not so well balanced within our society. Either criminal, or crazy, this will trigger something unwanted.

Jeremy

On the plus side 6-8 weeks from now or whenever things begin to normalize, alot of people from the suburbs might be dumping guns on the cheap before their friends come over for lattes and play dates to discuss how hard the distancing was!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The 2nd is NOT a confusing or even controversial concept. The 2nd doesn't "give us" our right to bear arms, all it does is forbid the government from "infringing on that right". That's a very simple concept even to a child. The problem we have is that there are people that absolutely hate that amendment.........and that's fine. They're entitled to hate whatever they want. But if they want it changed, there's already a process available to do that. Beyond that......."shall not be infringed".

*zap*

WKR
I am all for firearm rights but having a bunch of non gun folks walking around armed makes me nervous. Stopped by my mechanic buddies shop yesterday, asked him if he had everything he needed for the upcoming events....some csr is standing there and says he has plenty of bullets....I asked him if he had cases and powder also and he just did not get it.... :love:

*zap*

WKR
The public memory of this nation is that of a dementia patient. No short term memory, just a distorted picture of the stuff that happened 30 years ago.

Jeremy

The Etruscan's believed that black swan events occurred every 90 years because no one was still alive that remember the run up to the last one.... so human history is destined to repeat itself.

The depression was 90 years ago.

Wapiti1

WKR
But the internet didn't exist for either the Etruscans or the Depression. That is a game changer.........somehow. Think how much better off we are now that all of this information will be readily available 90 years from now :).

That said, no way it will happen again in 90 years. Probably 10 or less based on the cycle for SARS, MERS and now COVID-19.

Jeremy