Kuiu

Hey, new to western hunting. Me and my wife went to Wyoming on our first antelope this past year where we both harvested a doe and plan on going on a hunt out west for our anniversary every year now. The weather was in the 30’s in the morning and in the upper 70’s in the evenings. So we ran a merino base layer and the Kuiu peloton 200. She ran the strong fleece 260. I say all this to ask, we are wanting to find the right layering system. Was thinking of the Kutana Gale Force jacket or maybe one of the Kuiu down jackets with an axis or Chugach as an outer layer for light rain storms. The majority of our hunting gear is First Lite, but have taken a liking to Kuiu. Any suggestions are appreciated. Will be worn mostly out west, maybe some tree stand hunting in our home state of Virginia. Just want an all around good system since I’ve upgraded from from the Walmart stuff lol.

Mag_7s

WKR
I like Kuiu, but sure wish they kept their manufacturing here. My first pair of attack pants were made in N. America. I'm still happy they are direct to consumer. I really like attack pants for warm weather and Axix for cold, and light wet conditions. I do most of my moving while wearing merino t-shirt, older 200 thermal top with guide vest, when i stop o put on a puffy. Sometimes i pack their guide jacket if conditions arent calling for rain.I have their super down puffy, it's really light but could use a little more fill. Their new model Axix thermal hybrid looks pretty nice though. I can't speak too much on their rain system because the one I use is a discontinued model Teton. I always have the set in my pack, super light. It was intended for lower 48, light rain and small storms. It has served me well and I wish they still carried it. If I had to choose another I'd go with the North Ridge, because I really don't need the performance of the others. If I was to hunt NWT, or Alaska, that would be a different story. They have a pretty cool layering guide on their website that can help you choose what's right for you.

OP
Scooter VA
I like Kuiu, but sure wish they kept their manufacturing here. My first pair of attack pants were made in N. America. I'm still happy they are direct to consumer. I really like attack pants for warm weather and Axix for cold, and light wet conditions. I do most of my moving while wearing merino t-shirt, older 200 thermal top with guide vest, when i stop o put on a puffy. Sometimes i pack their guide jacket if conditions arent calling for rain.I have their super down puffy, it's really light but could use a little more fill. Their new model Axix thermal hybrid looks pretty nice though. I can't speak too much on their rain system because the one I use is a discontinued model Teton. I always have the set in my pack, super light. It was intended for lower 48, light rain and small storms. It has served me well and I wish they still carried it. If I had to choose another I'd go with the North Ridge, because I really don't need the performance of the others. If I was to hunt NWT, or Alaska, that would be a different story. They have a pretty cool layering guide on their website that can help you choose what's right for you.
Thanks, I’ve looked at the axis thermal, it seems like it might be a good choice as I don’t intend to be in a lot of rain. I guess I’m trying to find the best all around system for cold weather and possible rain. From what I’ve seen and read the super down pro seem like it might be a little better made now. It seems like everyone has the Kenai or SDP jackets, jus don’t know how good the DWR treatment is for rain.

Mag_7s

WKR
The dwr on the soft shells fades fast. I use NIK wax and soak after every season but it's never the same (i dont do this on insulating layers). I would always have some kind of shell to protect my insulating layer, either a Axix, guide or any of the water proof membranes.

CMF

WKR
We have :
merino and peleton base layer, I like the peleton better cause the merino is wearing out quickly
Tiburon and Attack pants, Tiburon for low/highs of 40/70+, Attacks for highs in 60's to colder lows(love the hip vents)
Merino base top first(sometimes) when backpacking then Synthetic Base on top(off brand)
then synthetic longsleeve, kuiu or off brand camo shirt
Strongfleece 260
Eddie Bauer Cirrus puffy(plan to upgrade to kuiu this year) Goes in pack depending on temps
Northridge rain jacket stays in pack 90% of time, frogg tog pants at truck, but don't make the pack unless rain is expected
off brand fleece hat
kutana gaiters(depending on moisture)
This pretty much covers us from hunting deer and turkey in MS to elk in CO, MT, NM in September and even some of the rifle season in MT during Nov., but we weren't overnighting.
I'd like to try the guide jacket for those days when the 260 just isn't quite enough, but for now, I just add puffy and rain jacket together as needed.

pawlyb

FNG
Hey, new to western hunting. Me and my wife went to Wyoming on our first antelope this past year where we both harvested a doe and plan on going on a hunt out west for our anniversary every year now. The weather was in the 30’s in the morning and in the upper 70’s in the evenings. So we ran a merino base layer and the Kuiu peloton 200. She ran the strong fleece 260. I say all this to ask, we are wanting to find the right layering system. Was thinking of the Kutana Gale Force jacket or maybe one of the Kuiu down jackets with an axis or Chugach as an outer layer for light rain storms. The majority of our hunting gear is First Lite, but have taken a liking to Kuiu. Any suggestions are appreciated. Will be worn mostly out west, maybe some tree stand hunting in our home state of Virginia. Just want an all around good system since I’ve upgraded from from the Walmart stuff lol.

Chugach is really nice, stretchy, wearable raingear. That and a puffy plus what you got will pretty much complete your system. I don't think you need to mess around with hybrid stuff, and I say that as someone who owns axis system and really likes it. It's just that to add the minimum amount of pieces to cover all weather conditions, what you'd need is simply the warmth and the rain shell. merino, 200/260 hoodys, puffy and rain gear is pretty ideal. Im a large kuiu baselayer and I would definitely be ordering XL kuiu raingear, fyi.
By the way, the kuiu ultra down for me was good down to about freezing. Below that I would get the pro. And although the KUIU puffies are really nice, there are far cheaper options out there from mountaineering brands. Lots of winter sales I've seen lately with stuff in the $100-200 range that have similar specs. I would recommend about 4-5oz of down for about freezing temps.
Another piece from them that's really nice is zip-off longjohns. That allows you to wear a relatively light pant and get extra warmth that can be removed pretty easy

Last edited:
OP
Scooter VA
Thanks guys for the info. We have the First Lite catalyst foundry pants pants which which were a little warm for the temps we saw, but were awesome as far as crawling through cacti. Seems like everyone agrees that a puffy jacket and a rain set would be the best set instead of the Gale Force. I’ll probably get a lighter pant for the warmer weather and save the First Lite for freezing temps. I’m usually a large, so should I go up to a XL in the rain gear?

pawlyb

FNG
Thanks guys for the info. We have the First Lite catalyst foundry pants pants which which were a little warm for the temps we saw, but were awesome as far as crawling through cacti. Seems like everyone agrees that a puffy jacket and a rain set would be the best set instead of the Gale Force. I’ll probably get a lighter pant for the warmer weather and save the First Lite for freezing temps. I’m usually a large, so should I go up to a XL in the rain gear?

I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, 41" chest. By all size guides I should be a Large. I find the base layers are ideal in large, but I have tried Axis and Chugach jackets, and I would not go any smaller than an XL. I had a Large ultra down puffy and I sold it for being a little too small. So my rule is L base and XL outers.

OP
Scooter VA
I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, 41" chest. By all size guides I should be a Large. I find the base layers are ideal in large, but I have tried Axis and Chugach jackets, and I would not go any smaller than an XL. I had a Large ultra down puffy and I sold it for being a little too small. So my rule is L base and XL outers.
I appreciate it. I’m 5’ 9” 210, and in the process of trimming back down to 190lbs. Most of my tops now are large and fit pretty good, so XL should work out. I have found out Kuiu pants fit tighter in the thighs than First Lite. I wear a 34 in First Lite and went to a 36 in Kuiu, but the thighs are still a little snug.

EdP

WKR
Sorry, I'm old and can't stand the "I ran this she ran that." It's English darn it, so use it like it supposed to be used. I wore this, she wore that OR I used this, she used that. We don't run guns, we don't run packs, tents, clothes, etc. We run marathons, we run to the store, we run out of gas. One day I'll run out of gas, but not today. I do like my Kuiu Kenai hoody and my Superdown Pro but they both need an outer shell for protection in the brush, any kind of brush.

OP
Scooter VA
Sorry, I'm old and can't stand the "I ran this she ran that." It's English darn it, so use it like it supposed to be used. I wore this, she wore that OR I used this, she used that. We don't run guns, we don't run packs, tents, clothes, etc. We run marathons, we run to the store, we run out of gas. One day I'll run out of gas, but not today. I do like my Kuiu Kenai hoody and my Superdown Pro but they both need an outer shell for protection in the brush, any kind of brush.
I appreciate the information about needing an outer shell, but I wasn’t aware I needed to use correct grammar to ask what hunting gear to buy.

CMF

WKR
I wear their medium shirts, but large 260 and rain gear. I can get the rain jacket over puffy if needed, but its still not too loose and the cufs are snug

OP
Scooter VA
I wear their medium shirts, but large 260 and rain gear. I can get the rain jacket over puffy if needed, but its still not too loose and the cufs are snug
Thanks, that helps a lot. I wasn’t sure if I needed to size up on the rain gear for layering.

My KUIU Super Down Pro is the best piece in my pack.
Super warm and very packable.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5”11 190 and use XL in everything from kuiu but there zip off base layer bottoms. 36 in all there pants and I have a lot of them. I would for sure size up on rain gear good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correction, we DRIVE or WALK to the store very few if anyone i’d guess runs to the store. It’s English darn it so use it how it’s supposed to be used.

EdP

WKR
Correction, we DRIVE or WALK to the store very few if anyone i’d guess runs to the store. It’s English darn it so use it how it’s supposed to be used.

A fair point. The older generation never likes how the younger generation misuses the language.

OP
Scooter VA
A fair point. The older generation never likes how the younger generation misuses the language.
Listen, I’m just trying to get some advice on what gear to buy so I don’t get wet and freeze. I’ve heard Bill Elliot in the past say “the Goodyear tires we RUN did pretty good” back when it was Winston Cup. So I t’s not a generational thing. What I do when I see something I don’t like on social media is look at something else. By the way it’s a Kenai hooded jacket not a hoody.

bmart2622

WKR
Its kinda spendy and its not Kuiu but the M7 from Stone Glacier might be a decent outer layer for you to go with what you already have