Kuiu verde or valo for Colorado elk and muley?

deerninja

FNG
With either of those you are going to look like a big dark blob to an elk, you should save your money and just get some cheaper alternative.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Wel
l great, now I’m just playing with this while I should be working. Haha thank you this is a cool site

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
Wel

l great, now I’m just playing with this while I should be working. Haha thank you this is a cool site
I am really good at not doing my job. My favorite past time is looking at draw stats during boring meetings... And trying to get left over tags. Yikes! hehe

SonnyDay

WKR
FWIW I have some Vias, and in the grassy/plains environment it can show as lighter than the grass you're trying to hide in. If you are looking at plains mule deer patterns, darker may be better.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Camo is definitely not needed. But if it was needed, none of KUIU patterns would be my first choice. Valo is probably their best Colorado pattern if you are limited to Kuiu.

First Lite is better, Sitka Sub Alpine is good as well. Any company that uses camo developed by “Veil” is going to be a decent option. They understand camo better than most companies. Cabelas strata works well in lots of wooded environments.

But really, for most hunting, the camo is irrelevant. If you like it, wear it though.

Edit to add:
I’ve got to double down on my “camo is irrelevant” statement. I noticed you said second season. Just a friendly reminder, you will be wearing orange. The camo is seriously irrelevant. It is marginally relevant for most bow hunters
So I’m looking at two jackets and one is a first lite. I’ve heard about issues with durability compared to kuiu or Sitka. Do you have any experience with them? Both the kuiu and first lite are on sale so unsure which would be better.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Camo pants may be the least important of any camo you might wear. Anything works.
If sitting/crouching the critter is not seeing your pants. If walking no camo will prevent them from spotting you. If not moving you will not be seen. Anbd that is for archery (close range). For 2nd rifle season with snow camo is of zero concern, for me anyway. Half the time I am wearing whatever outer layer protects me from wet/cold camo or not.

Only reason I buy camo pants is for the technical aspects of them (fabric, fit and features)
Any recommendation on outer layer? I’m looking at the kuiu axis hybrid or the first lite uncompahgre foundry jacket

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I started getting verde before valo was an option, but I like my milder layers in verde for early season whitetail and turkey. I got my colder layers like puffy in valo because it's usually browner when it's colder. I think either is fine for elk and deer
What col layer jacket do you have? Looking at the kuiu axis hybrid

I’m in need of some pants for my upcoming elk hunting in Colorado. The gym I am hunting will either have snow or no snow so I’m unsure what kuiu pattern to go with. I was looking at the verde but next year I am also planning on pulling a mule deer tag so I want to make sure i get a pattern that is able to do that in the plains/open country. My gum for the elk hunt is 2nd season and will be heavily timbered. Is valo good enough in timber? I know it will be great for when I get into different terrains for mule deer.
I have both Kuiu camo patterns and Black Ovis solids. I may mix camo tops with solid pants. Frankly, I've not noticed any difference in success rate which ever way. I think it's not gonna hurt you if it makes you more confident by "matching the hatch" depending whether you're hunting sagebrush open country, thick dark timber, or combo of both. Personally, I focus on playing the wind and avoid being detected while moving most. My most experienced Eastern and Mid-West hunting buddies come out West decked out in some weird mis-matched outfits and do just as well as me on elk and deer.