Kuiu sleeping bags/expensive gear

Alright I don't think we need to bash kuiu here guys. This is turning into an ArcheryTalk thread. Kuiu makes great gear but they just have some stuff to work out. I don't think a company out there doesn't have issues. Look at the stock market....

OK Roksliders,

This was the first post:

Quite a few posts stayed on topic for a while. Now here we are. These are the forum rules:

If you feel you did any of the above, please edit your own posts.

Regardless of if you like Kuiu gear, availability, country of origin, business decisions, the founder, or advertising language, one great thing about the company is they helped get this website up and running, and have been with Rokslide from the beginning.

This is a huge reason why I love Rokslide. The BS and bitching is fairly limited and quickly tempered.

As far as Kuiu goes I think they make some great products, but they have some issues with supply among other things. For me this was a turnoff and I've decided to take my business elsewhere. THIS is the beauty of capitalism! Nobody forces you to buy Kuiu!! If it was my business I would keep it small and fix the issues before expanding into new markets, but it's not my business. The little things like knowing how long an item will be back ordered goes a long ways. I wait for my kifaru packs because I know when I'll have it and can plan accordingly.

After plenty more calls/messages about this thread, I just pruned it up.

I did my best to keep the relevant content. None of this is personal or directed at any particular poster(s), and I apologize ahead of time if anyone is offended or upset about any changes/deletions in any way.

This is a huge reason why I love Rokslide. The BS and bitching is fairly limited and quickly tempered.

I agree. That is one of the best things about Rokslide.

Now for Kuiu. I have about equal amounts of both Kuiu and Sitka. I prefer Kuiu to the point that I don't see myself buying Sitka again. I've been lucky, I guess, because I have not had any supply issues with Kuiu like others have. The issues that are often mentioned, ie, business decisions, inventory, etc., do concern me, but in the end, I am a selfish consumer and will buy what I like, and what works best for me. That being said, I think Kuiu should stick to what they are good at, clothing for back country hunters. Their packs are about to begin the fourth generation, and the first three have been failures. The sleeping bags seem to be a slightly more expensive copy of an existing bag. I am expecting the same from the tent. My thoughts on the tent and sleeping are purely speculation, as I have not seen either in person. I have nothing but good things to say about Kuiu's clothing, but dought I will ever own any of their other gear.

Thanks Matt, and if anyone is too offended, send them to me. We all walk a fine line between discussion and bashing. Sometimes we mods have to make a decision to delete/edit and we'll always try to error on the "discussion" side.
And if it weren't for KUIU, Rokslide might not be here.

And if it weren't for KUIU, Rokslide might not be here.

I'm relatively new posting here, and have fell in love with you're community... yup love! This must have come up before, But having sponsors indirectly influencing honest opinions, maybe not polite but honest, hinders unfiltered VIEWS and REVIEWS?

I'd pay a Forum membership ESPECIALLY Rokslide in a heart beat if we were to be muzzled , and hear others bash away if they feel .... Bitterroot you did so well with this thread... you did NO muzzling lol! Ive got more reading to do here and learn more the relationship between the industry partners and Rokers

BPL is so valued for that in my view, and lightfighter.net when you need to be put in your place!

edited to clear things up

Last edited:
suchee, all I can say is what I said before. There is a fine line between bashing and discussion. As you've seen, we've let KUIU take plenty of hits on here.

Suchee, I read your posts and you had some VERY valid points. But we really don't have the time to run a Daycare and that's what happens after the first few dog pile on. If you do any search on here about Kuiu you will see plenty of bashing. Everyone of our sponsors have been called onto the carpet and I think that's the way it should be! But to see post after post doing the same thing becomes very pointless. We have some very smart individuals on here that can speak there mind without getting down in the dirt! That's what 24 campfire is for:)

Jesus, I'm actually surprised this thread has gone this long. Suchee just how much experience do you have with Kuiu?? How much of their gear have you put through its passes. I personally have been very critical of certain aspects of Kuiu, but there is a respectful and professional way to say it. You say how overhyped it is and yet your completely happy with your chugach? And no one is muzzling you, they are telling you to not be a dick about your opinions. And also I've never seen a website let a founding sponsor take a beating like Kuiu does on this site. I commend rokslide for the very limited filter they impose and for Kuiu for staying positive and taking people with actual insight and turning out new products.

Once again we are hijacking this thread from the OP. I sent a PM to suchee to bring up his concerns in the Feedback Forum rather than this thread. I am sure we can discuss it in a civil manner there.

No no I get, typing on iphone, doesnt help relay what i mean! So sorry OP... pls re-read that muzzle post!!!

Last edited:
It all depends on your priorities in life. You don't need to make millions of dollars to afford good gear. Some guys have already stated they give up on other things in life in order to be able to afford their hunting gear. I love hunting but I also love everything else so I have a very limited budget for hunting gear. However having great gear is only a small piece of the puzzle. Stay fit and put in your time in the field and you'll have lots of success in the future.

I afford what I do by living a very austere life outside of hunting. I live in a cheap dump , drive a '99 ranger that will hit 200,000 this week if it hasn't flipped already today , eat what I kill or catch mostly , buy my clothes at the thrift store , ect. That song by Macklemore "Thrift Shop" is my life theme song ! Lol ! I am self employed so if I've saved enough cash to pay for it I can go where and as long as I want. This year has been tough so far but if it turns around just a little I'll go hunting for a month or more this fall. Getting in better shape just in case. Put 58lbs in my pack today and hiked for 3.5 hours today and will do the same tomorrow. Make it your number one priority and it will happen.

Oh , and I got divorced ! So I got that going for me :) . Free at last ! Free at last !

Last edited:
It all depends on your priorities in life. You don't need to make millions of dollars to afford good gear. Some guys have already stated they give up on other things in life in order to be able to afford their hunting gear. I love hunting but I also love everything else so I have a very limited budget for hunting gear. However having great gear is only a small piece of the puzzle. Stay fit and put in your time in the field and you'll have lots of success in the future.

Yes your are exactly right, having all the Gucci gear won't make someone a better hunter, where hunters 80 years ago taking less game and smaller trophies because they hunted in their work cloths.

Sorry for being of the OP BB, but all this bickering we read and hear really has nothing to do with our great hunting lifestyle, it is about money, now what we love to do.

Yes , hunters 80 years ago were killing great animals in much less technical gear but I would bet they would have jumped at the chance to have some of the advantages we have today. In fact , its their dissatisfaction with what they had that has driven the development of what we enjoy today. I would bet that if you showed and a trapper or hunter using a trapper nelson back 80 years ago a new kifaru duplex , stone glacier , or barney's frame and offered it to him in inflation adjusted dollars he would be all over it. Same with high performance clothes. We live in an equipment golden age and I'm thankful.

Clint , I got the point . My post is the thoughts that came to me about the comparative equipment of today and way back. I would agree that the top of the line equipment will not in itself make you a better hunter. Time in the field is the most critical element to me. I have a saying that goes " the amount of game harvested per hour of effort is in direct proportion to the amount of hours put in " . To clarify that , the more you hunt the more you kill per hour in the field.

My goal is to spend little to no family budget on hunting gear. It has worked out well over the last decade or so. I buy gear by selling old gear or other items that I no longer use or can do without. I also sometimes do side jobs for extra gear money too, but not often, because it takes me away from my family, and hunting does that enough. For gifts I receive, I ask for gear or money and gift cards towards gear. I gave up all my hobbies when my son was born 8 years ago except for hunting and fishing. I didn't have to, but I knew that extra time and money would be a lot harder to come by with a family to take care of. I get made fun of often because my camo usually doesn't match, but I don't care, I don't buy gear based on what it looks like.

I just buy the best of the gear I need. There should be no need to buy a new sleeping bag. Unless you don't have a 2lb'r. You're paying for the super down. Save your pennies.

Back