Kuiu sleeping bags/expensive gear

I get paid an ok hourly wage and work a lot. January I worked 436 hours, with my longest week being 118 hours. I only had 2 days off though. Working that much makes it so I can buy pretty much whatever I want hunting wise, but the only thing I bought in that time was 8 lbs of powder.

I didn't eat out, didn't drink, don't use tobacco products, etc. I only buy what's necessary.

Doing that allows me to buy gear if I want it, save for retirement, invest, etc.

I also use a credit card for every purchase. Absolutely everything I am allowed to bills included. The points add up and you can get free gear that way.

As for Kuiu I have never used any of their products. I have been interested in trying attack pants and the bino harness, but I'm not going to wait for months for a back ordered product. I will just do without.

swat8888

WKR
Three easy ways I save money on gear-

1. I choose modest weight penalties over spending a 25% or more premium to shave off minimal ounces. This holds true for sleeping bag, gun fluting (admittingly I did spend the bucks to skeletonize my bolt handle just because I think it looks cool), rifles, tripods, tarps (ex. cuben fiber), stakes, trekking poles, etc.

2. Minimize camo purchases. Again you are paying a premium most of the time. I can usually find cheaper solid colors at a discount often with identical or better quality. Biggest issue I've run into here is mountaineering pants since I cant find any from the non-hunting marketing companies that make enough pockets for my liking.

3. Maintain healthy body weight.

2rocky

WKR
I grew up on a Dairy farm so I have been pretty used to buying used equipment and "making it work". Our operation was pretty innovative and we adopted a lot of technology earlier than our neighbors and paid a higher price than folks paid for the same or improved technology years later. Meanwhile, we had aspects of our operation that stayed old school. A John Deere B tractor worked fine for scraping corrals, a 1960 Truck with a new mixing box worked fine for feeding, our dairy barn took 6 hours to milk rather than a newer design that would have been 4 hours. We mended things rather than replace them. Drove me nuts!

It really had an impact on the way I look at capital expenditures on gear. I try to make "good enough" work until I can replace it. When I do replace it, I try to buy the best I can afford. Gear features are sometimes just "chrome" and other times are useful functions. Think Chevy instead of Cadillac. After a few purchases of Cadillac gear, I figured out there were chevy options that would have served the purpose. To make a metaphor, I try not to spend all my money on a Cadillac and not have enough money to put fuel in the tank...

Now with a family, I can Upgrade and hand my gear down to the kids. (Pads, Sleeping bags etc)

Some Gear Progressions:

Sleeping bag:
0 degree, 3 pound synthetic to a 30 year old 20 degree, 2.5 pound, Hand me down down bag, to a long 1.5 pound down bag.

Pack:
EMS external frame $20 at a gear swap, to a Crooked Horn Internal frame (sold) , to a 2200 that I used in a photo contest, and won a 4500, that I use today.

Stove,

Cheap Stansport propane stove, to an original Jetboil (now 8 years old maybe?)

Pad,
Ridge rest to green Thermorest, to a newer Thermorest

Rain gear:
Rain Suede to Chugach (still have the RS)

The majority of these gear purchases and upgrades started in 2005, and occurred over 10 years, a piece at a time. I don't own a complete set of one camo pattern. (Maybe a couple of shirt and pants sets match).

If it is important enough to you you find a way to make it work...

Jon Boy

WKR
I hear everyone's woes with kuiu...but at the same time, not a single person who has commented on this thread has field tested this bag... I tend to keep my mouth shut when it comes to having no experience with a product.

I thought there was a thread on here a while back about not posting opinions on products unless you've used them some what extensively? It seemed to strike a few strings with people too?

I won't be buying one, but I won't be bashing it either.

As far as as budgeting for gear, I use "sub par" gear and upgrade a new item when ever I can. I still hunt the back country just fine.

MattB

WKR
Look above and you'll see that materials wise, they are actually essentially the same, minus the down maybe, but I'm not even convinced of that stuff being worthwhile. Face the facts, he's using offshore chinese labor and selling his products for costs that rival the BEST USA or Canada based cottage gear makers. He's almost on par with a snake oil salesman, IMO.

I would reframe the comment to read that Kuiu is selling a Chinese-made bag with water-proof down for essentially the same price as the imported Marmot Plasma (not sure where it is made) without waterproof down, which are both similarly priced to US-made bags of similar quality.

And do we know the materials are essentially the same between the two bags, or is that just an unsupported assertion? And I not sure what to make of your comment that treated water-proof down is essentially the same as untreated down, maybe - even though we know it is not.

I hear everyone's woes with kuiu...but at the same time, not a single person who has commented on this thread has field tested this bag... I tend to keep my mouth shut when it comes to having no experience with a product.

I thought there was a thread on here a while back about not posting opinions on products unless you've used them some what extensively? It seemed to strike a few strings with people too?

I won't be buying one, but I won't be bashing it either.

As far as as budgeting for gear, I use "sub par" gear and upgrade a new item when ever I can. I still hunt the back country just fine.

Amen

A little off topic, but I was just informed that Marmot will have all but two of their down bags (-20F and -40F) stuffed with treated down and available starting the end of this month. And also for what it's worth, all of their bags (except the Plasma) is stuffed and finished off in the US.

Jimbob

WKR
I would never purchase their backpack or sleeping bags at what they are asking. You need to pay your dues and learn the product before your bring an item that is the same price or more than products that are developed by people who have been doing it for 25+ yrs.

I only afford me gear by buying used.

Example- I purchased a used Marmot sleeping bag on ebay then sold it three yrs later for $150, at the same time I purchased TWO like new Western mountaineering bags for $300 (package deal). By buying used I lost no money on the initial marmot purchase then upgraded to two premium bags for only $150. I could never afford nor justify the purchase of $800 for sleeping bags but after watching and waiting that's what I have at what I can afford.

Example 2
in 2001 I sold winchester rifle for $650 (what i paid for it used) and purchased a used abolt with Leupold varixIII scope for $1000.
Last year I sold just the abolt for $750 without scope. I kept the scope and put it on my brand new T3 lite that I got on sale (I couldn't find a used one but waited 8 months and found a good sale). I have a good rifle set-up that I could never afford to just go and buy.

It takes time but buying used is the key to affording good gear at a lower income.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I bet the sleeping bags will be really nice top end bags. Hopefully Kuiu works through some of the customer service "issues" and continues to offer great gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

littlebuf

Banned
I bet the sleeping bags will be really nice top end bags. .

there gen 2 or 3 sleeping bags will likely be nicer after they get done there standard procedure of letting the customer do there field testing for them to see what works and what doesn't.

man, realy think my old north face has a season or two left, since i sleep "hot" ,im going to try a quilt,and keep the old north face in reserve.

TEmbry

WKR
Lol only in America will guys whine about a company putting the gear they want to buy on sale at a substantial discount.

I also think many are blowing out of proportion the innovation that goes into sleeping bag designs on a year to year basis. It's an insulated cocoon you zip up and lay still in.

suchee

FNG
Lol only in America will guys whine about a company putting the gear they want to buy on sale at a substantial discount.

Because the gear is SO OVER hyped up initially and then unsupported in the end.. then the true market price works out(outlet/sales), which then takes a HUGE hit in marketability in the future. The R&D is already there, Jason knows his stuff, the transparency of "ingredients", just back it up with reliable product testing and some quantitative data to be transparent in that area. It has NEVER been there!

There is no easy road to this, and it'll all work out.... for the good or bad. The "toray advantage" will dry up, so will his yearly "innovations" He's not making iPhones lol .....heyy they've hit their cycle too. His marketing is what will continue winning for him for a while, a little change here and there to drive sales. A new camo pattern, maybe branded crampons next. Right now jason is seriously kicking some A$$... and good for you. I'll only see you in the outlet/sales though. I am damn happy w my chugach NX but only at those prices

I also think many are blowing out of proportion the innovation that goes into sleeping bag designs on a year to year basis. It's an insulated cocoon you zip up and lay still in.

Well said! The Most technical something or other;) ???? Sleeping bags are "technical' you know.

What a buzz word that needs to go

Last edited:
I don't know. I don't drink Bud Light, but if I started, I don't think I'd be playing ping pong with Arnold. All marketing is hype.

The complaints and criticism in this tread and others will get back to Kuiu. They can choose their direction.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
OK Roksliders,

This was the first post:

I know it's been touched on a bit but I just received the email from kuiu about the sleeping bags. I didn't think they would actually put a price tag of 450-750 for them. Holy cow! I guess they are targeting those millionaires who can afford that. This brings me to my thought...how do you budget for gear? I personally have a certain amount allotted per year. It's only enough to purchase a few odds and ends. I sell stuff to buy new stuff. But say a person wanted to buy a new sleeping bag, kuiu for instance. Were at $450 without tax and shipping, say $500 with that. Now we want a new pack, another $500. Oh maybe a tent too, $300. I hope you see where I am getting at. I was just curious on how everyone does it and still can afford to live.

Quite a few posts stayed on topic for a while. Now here we are. These are the forum rules:

The Rokslide forums are all about sharing information and communicating with others in a positive, upbeat atmosphere. Our forum posting rules are very simple: no whining, crying, sobbing, bitching, sniveling, sulking, bickering, complaining, or pouting! If you feel compelled to do any of the above, there are plenty of other website forums out there that allow such behavior. Now that you understand our rules, post away and enjoy!

If you feel you did any of the above, please edit your own posts.

Regardless of if you like Kuiu gear, availability, country of origin, business decisions, the founder, or advertising language, one great thing about the company is they helped get this website up and running, and have been with Rokslide from the beginning.