Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Core 4, Kryptek...what say you?

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased almost every piece KUIU offers last year. For the most part I like it and have no real complaints. Looking at First-Lite this year. Waiting to see what Jason does with his base layers. I like the thumbhole on First-Lite. That and they offer the heavy weight wool. Not sure if that would be better than the polartec expedition weight I use now. But in on rush.

Well if you cant wear your kryptek I would love to take it off your hands it rocks and just check it out! Great stuff and even though your on staff it might change your mind.

BigWave

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard great things about the First Lite and KUIU gear, but I'd be hard pressed to give up any of my Sitka gear. I LOVE the Mountain Pants and Jetstream Jacket. I dont love OC Opti Fade. I'd really like to see them put out the gear in Max-1 again, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Out of all those mentioned I have only really tried Sitka. I tried it on a sheep hunt and liked it enough that I havent had to look anywhere else. The mountain pants have been the ticket for my hunts so far!

My only issue with KUIU....WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS YEAR?? Everyone else has products out and released on their site by ATA/SHOT/FNAWS/SCI....now I know that ATA is not the crowd that Jason and the guys at KUIU are looking for but for those of us who were there and not at FNAWS/Western Conservation EXPO where KUIU had a booth please put it up for us to see. I start looking at gear in january and right now...KUIU hasn't show me anything new. Don't get me wrong I LOVE their MERINO bases and the ATACK Pants are the best that I have used (even for being too big). But I put them through the test this season in CO and KS and I know my Attack Pant knees won't take another season of spot and stalk.

I LOVE the OC Optifade that Sitka is running. I have NEVER had an animal give me a second look in the two seasons I ran it (over 170 days of hunting). I do think they are priced a little high and I am super EXCITED about there MERINO gear released in 2010.

But here is what I am looking for...

1. Merino Wool
2. Max-1 (most versatile pattern for where and when I hunt)
3. CLOTHING THAT FITS MY BUILD ( 5'9", 155 lbs, 29" waist, 31" inseam)

Looking through things I have only one company that is producing clothing to fit me and my style of hunting. Until I can get in a tree stand in KS and LAYER the tar out of my KUIU ;)

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I have slowly acquiring Sitka gear for the last year, I started with the Forest gear for WT hunting here in the Midwest. I was impressed, so I have been adding a piece or 2 each month for the past year, in OC I have the 90% pants and jackets, Contrail wind shirt, assorted hats, gloves, bandits. Most of my base layers were UA, but have been switching to wool. I have a combo of Sitka and Minus33. I also have the Sitka Downpour for my rain gear.
Last season, my wife had the Prois Eliminator rain gear, and it failed miserably. 2 solid days of rain was not fun, had to bring her into town for a day to dry out.
We can't wait to try this stuff out this fall.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
This horse can never be beaten to much!

What's your clothing line of choice?

What's your favorite piece of clothing from each system?

I'd say it's a mix depending on what piece or pieces.

I'm prolly more invested in Sitka than anything else.

The Jetstream jacket is my fav piece.

Arteman

FNG
I dropped some coin this last year on Sitka and other gear. I'm the type of guy that gets cold easy, and hates getting wet, especially my feet. Being from SW Washington getting dumped on is a given. Honestly other than work cloths during the week, I'm in my cold weather gear more than my street clothes since Sept tell now. Between hunting, checking cams, and now shed hunting I'm gone every weekend, and some days after work. What I find works for my hunt style, which for BT is about a 3 to 4 mile hike then sit and glass ALL day in one spot where I know one will slip up from past experience is... I usually always where my Sitka Marino bottoms, with 90% over them. Any dampness out at all ill throw my downpour over all this (downpour pants are coming apart at the seam on the inside lining in the crotch area, for the price they are not holding up to as expected) but expect a lil sweat on the hike up, usually I just unzip the top zipper to my knees on both sides unless its pouring. Over this I always wear my gaters, probably my best Sika purchase, idc if its dry out, saves my pants and love the extra support, however ill be needing a new pair because they are in pretty bad shape after one season, better them than my pants. For boots I bought the Under Armour RidgeReapers, by far one of the most comfortable boots I've started out in, but both of them leave my feet soaked now only 6 months wearing them, don't recommend them to people in extreme wet conditions. Up top I wear my Sitka T, quarter zip Marino, and 90%. If its dry and cold I can toss my Stratus jacket over it all and stay warm, if its wet I can toss my downpour over my 90%, or my Stratus. No complaints up top other than sweat, but hiking in idc if its raining or snowing ill just wear a T shirt in and change into my dry gear once up there, nothing worse than trying to glass when your shaking from being wet and cold at first light. One more item I bought was the Sitka Gortex Mountain Glove, they work for a couple hours, but will soak through. Good for all day freezing temps, but not all day wet temps. Hope any of this info helps, got to say even with a few minor issues that this last year has been one of my most comfortable years. The boots have got to go though.

I love the KUIU merino base layers and guide jacket and vest. I have the 185 and 250 in the merino. I am also a firstlite fan and have their vest and kanab pants. The kanab pants are very comfortable. Next on the list is the chugach rain gear.

Arteman

FNG
I thought I made a comment to this thread, I'm new so not sure if I posted wrong and it never posted, or if it got moved or deleted. Still trying to figure out all the features. Thanks for any info.

I like the Kuiu wool base layer, and I have a variety of tops / shirts / vests etc, Kuiu, First Light, core 4 etc.. . I also have the Kuiu spindrift jacket liner that I love for tossing in the pack.

I am struggling with where to spend my $$$ on the pants. I'll admit I am cheap, so dropping more than $100 on a pair of pants is tough. I am also notoriously hard on my clothing, I rip out seams, break buttons, bust zippers and all kinds of stuff. I want 1 pair that are great for early season, that are quiet, that are tough, lightweight, waterproof?? at least water repellent, and a decent camo ( heck I could probable get by without the camo), and are not going to cost me more than a car payment.

I'll be looking to see what others like, I know this crowd will give its unbiased opinions.

I really like all the products from first lite with the exception of the pants. The only thing I can find wrong with them is they only make them in a slim cut. When the company starts to make a relaxed fit for there hunting pants will be a good day. I am still a fan of the old ASAT pattern and I am happy to see first light still using it.

My only issue with KUIU....WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS YEAR?? ...KUIU hasn't show me anything new. Don't get me wrong I LOVE their MERINO bases and the ATACK Pants are the best that I have used (even for being too big). But I put them through the test this season in CO and KS and I know my Attack Pant knees won't take another season of spot and stalk.

KUIU will have a Guide Pant this year in addition to the Attack Pant per Jason on his blog. I'm sure these will be more durable than the Attack. But I love the Attack pant.

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill be giving kuiu a shot this year, im sure i wont be disappointed. Iv been wanting to build a good system for a while now, and this year its time.

huntndad

FNG
I have experience with both First Lite and Kuiu outerwear. The First Lite gear seems more comfortable to me in extremely hot weather, and I like the ASAT camo better. But overall, I prefer the Kuiu gear. The attack pants fit me perfectly and are extremely comfortable. They also held up much better than my first lite stuff. I hunt in nasty, brushy country here, and the first lite stuff just couldn't take all the briars or branches. The first lite pants were great for an August hunt in California, but they didn't make it through the season here. The attack pants, on the other hand, are still going strong. They no longer look new and they have little snags all over them, but they don't have a single tear or hole.

Full Kuiu for me here, sold all my sitka stuff. Buddy of mine has all core4 he got from Camofire.com very cheap, looks to be well made stuff, heavier than the kuiu but it will get the job done.