Kuiu pro vs k3

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have both and like them both. Have not hauled any super heavy loads with either, but a lot of it comes down to the features you're looking for in the bag. If you're looking for more of a day pack, I'd go with the KUIU. Feel free to PM me with more questions if you have them.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Also have both. Have only hauled meat in the Kuiu and I found it pretty uncomfortable. I’m hoping the K3 is better. It seems much more comfortable to me just in general use. The Kuiu bags have nice organization but the hip belt on the K3 fits me way better. I think like any pack, each will fit you differently and one will be more comfortable than the other with no telling which it’ll be until you try them.

87TT

WKR
Never used a KUIU Pro but I had an Ultra 6000. I sold it and bought a second EXO. I didn't care for the way it carried a heavy load. I have heard that the Pro was better but once I tried the EXO (K2) I never looked back. I did upgrade to a K3 belt.

11boo

WKR
My Kuiu is an older ultra 3k. Incredible day pack that has held up really well. I put a 6k bag on there for a backpack trip, and I won’t do that again. Allegedly the pro suspension solves the problem.

I have had both. I had the original icon pro series then upgraded to the Pro series when they redesigned the hip belt and packs. I also had the K3 as well. As others have said the bags on the KUIU have much more organization. They are also lighter than the K3 series. Kuiu in general is going to be lighter overall. Some have said their packs because of this are less durable. I don't know about that as I never had problems with Kuiu packs. I did haul a small elk quarter out with the Pro series. It did fine, but the K3 felt better for me.

The K3 I had was the 4800 born and raised edition. It carried weight better for me when compared to the Pro series. I didn't haul anything super heavy, but the belt was much more comfortable. If I had it to choos again I would choose K3 when compared to the Pro. At the time the K3 new cost much more than a similar Pro series. Kuiu does a lot more 15-25% off sales so if budget is factor consider that, which is how I picked up my Pro stuff. Now that there is the K4 though, you can find a K3 on the classifieds for $400-500 or so.

Currently I'm rolling a Kifaru tactical frame and its been good so far.

Cody111

FNG
I have the Kuiu Pro 5500 LT and really like it. I have used it with up to 65 lbs and it fits and carries well. From most peoples comments it seems that EXO would be a step up, but being in Canada trying to get an EXO gets extremely pricey.

Also have both. Have only hauled meat in the Kuiu and I found it pretty uncomfortable. I’m hoping the K3 is better. It seems much more comfortable to me just in general use. The Kuiu bags have nice organization but the hip belt on the K3 fits me way better. I think like any pack, each will fit you differently and one will be more comfortable than the other with no telling which it’ll be until you try them.
I think the kuiu was among the worst packs I’ve had with a heavy load. I hated it, and tore it up pretty quick

In my mind, there is no comparison between the two… to me, exo is at the opposite side of the spectrum, have 2 currently, and can’t see trying anything else at this point… I have had a pile of packs, and have always circled back to exo… now with the k4, I’m not even slightly curious about any other packs

That being said, some folks seem to like their kuiu packs… I know packs fit people different, but I can’t see a kuiu being comfortable with over 80# for anyone, but apparently they are for some

Tahoe1305

WKR
I ran a kuiu 4000 with my buddy running a K3 4800. We both carried two loads close to 100lbs of quartered elk. It sucked, but thought the pack did fine. It didn’t bother me at all.

I liked his bag a bit better but liked the modularity of the kuiu a bit more. If I had the money and didn’t mind spending nearly twice as much I’d snag a K4. But I’m happy with the kuiu and especially for the price I paid.

I have had both. The Kuiu was amazing until I knew what I was missing. I then couldn’t even stand the Kuiu with just day essentials. The Exo fits and carries on a different level than the Kuiu. However, whichever one fits you and you like is the best.

87TT

WKR
I almost felt bad selling my Kuiu. Felt like I was taking advantage of someone.:D

TripleJ

WKR
I've packed deer elk out with both. One quartered out blacktail with the kuiu, as well as a lot of training packs with 40 lbs. Last year, 3 elk and a quartered out blacktail with the exo. For me, the kuiu was actually better "stock" out of the box than the exo. The belt on the exo as it came from the factory didn't work very well with my anatomy. The weight was either sagging on my butt, killing my ability to hike and climb hills, or I had to loosen the belt, suck it up tight on my shoulders and carry the weight more with my upper body so that I could use my legs right, which is what I ended up doing. It wasn't very comfortable that way, but you have to do what's needed when you have elk down in the backcountry. After a few phone calls and emails with exo, who has amazing customer service by the way, I ended up with a stiffer lumbar pad and ended up using that with the extra spacer/shim. This made all the difference in the world. My last pack of the year was my son's yearling antlerless elk. I ended up packing all 4 quarters at once, while he packed out the head and loose meat. It's amazing the difference having the exo set up different made, it was better hands down for packing the weight than the kuiu.

Last edited:
I have both an Icon pro 7200 and K3 4800. Packed out many deer, elk and antelope with the Kuiu, but after wearing my buddies k3 to try it out, the load shelf and frame were just better to carry heavy meat loads in my opinion. I think kuiu is better for carrying stuff and still fine for meat, but the exo is just better for meat hauling at any distance.

I can't speak to the kuiu but I have broken my k3 twice on hunts. I broke the hip belt twice leaving me with Terrible pack outs.

The velcro broke where the hib belt attaches to the wings on the frame. the second time the stitching ripped out where the wings for the hib belt attaches to the frame

87TT

WKR
Good to know. I just put a K3 belt on my K2. Might have to keep the old belt in the rig