Kuiu pack with a heavy rifle?

archangel

FNG
G'day all from Australia.

I have a Kuiu icon pro 6000 bag on an Ultra carbon fibre frame. My problem is, I purchased the gun holder thinking it'd be big enough for the butt of my DTA SRS A1. Its not.

I know I should have a much lighter weight rifle, but I'm comfortable with this one, and frankly, my wife will kill me if I buy another at the moment.

My question is - it looks like I'd easily be able to put my rifle inside the actual pack, and still close it up tight up the top... can anyone see any issues with an approx 6.5kg rifle sitting inside the pack? Is anyone else silly enough to take a tactical weight rifle hunting, especially in a Kuiu pack? Would love some ideas / feedback.

Hit me up if you're ever coming to Victoria, Australia - we have open season on deer all year round, and nothing required other than a gun licence and a hunting permit (costs under $100 for the year and no tests/requirements). Not to mention latest estimate, around 1 million deer in Victoria alone.

BluMtn

WKR
Greetings,

I ordered the gun holder also from KUIU and found the butt of my rifle will not fit in the bucket either. So I order a Stone Glacier Quick Release. I really like how it works, took a little engineering to make it work on the KUIU pack but well worth it.

Not sure if it helps you or not, but the quick-release gun holder they recently started selling has a much bigger opening for your butt stock than the regular one. I bought one and returned it because I thought it was way too big for my rifle, but it might be just what you are looking for.

And as far as carrying your rifle inside the pack, I dont think that would be an issue at all.

OP
archangel

archangel

FNG
Thanks for the replies. The gun holder I have is the quick release. Looks like it'd suit a traditional rifle really well, but the DTA is quite big. I'll look into the Stone Glacier option, if not, it'll go in the pack!

skierhs

WKR
There won’t be any issue packing the rifle inside the pack. You loose the quicker access but that’s all...that rifle is a great one and I wouldn’t trade it.

I’ve strapped my rifle to the outside of my Kuiu pack in the middle many times. Put the butt of the stock into the bottom cradle/sling. You would need to attach some center straps like the Icon Pro bags use since the ultra doesn’t come setup that way. That shouldn’t be any problem at all though. Then just run the straps over the rifle and cinch it down.

OP
archangel

archangel

FNG
There won’t be any issue packing the rifle inside the pack. You loose the quicker access but that’s all...that rifle is a great one and I wouldn’t trade it.

Yeah its my first and only - can do 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100m if I do my part. Its better than I am. The A2 is heaps lighter, so I may end up upgrading to a new one if I can manage it.

skierhs

WKR
Yeah its my first and only - can do 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100m if I do my part. Its better than I am. The A2 is heaps lighter, so I may end up upgrading to a new one if I can manage it.
Yeah, and spin a carbon fiber barrel on it and it’d be stupid lite.

OP
archangel

archangel

FNG
Its very difficult to get a DTA carbon fibre barrel here in Australia. Even owning a gun is frowned upon in our society (its like California here). I'd love a proof research barrel on an A2!

skierhs

WKR
That sucks, they’re down the road and it’s as easy to get a barrel as it is anything on amazon. (Barrels specifically, actions are a whole different story)

Try a kifaru gun bearer.
I have one mounted to my Icon pro waist belt and apex shoulder straps without any issue. It’s quite a large bucket