Flying with a rifle case

KClark91

FNG
Looking at flying out to Colorado on United with my rifle case and see conflicting info about how to pack the case. I spoke with United and they said it falls under “sporting goods” and will be charged reg checked bag fee if under 50lb. To save space I was going to remove foam and pack extra clothes and possibly sleeping bag around the rifle. Has anyone had any issues with this getting held up with extra items in the case?

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I've had gate attendants want to look at the rifle even though I don't think they are supposed to.

I think they are supposed to hand you the form to sign and you are supposed to put it in the box but I've had it where they want to put it in the box. I just let em.

I think you'll be in the right but it could slow you down with it bundled up.

The next time I fly with my rifle I'm going to get a shorter Pelican Storm case and take the barreled action out of the stock and lay it next to the stock in the box. I've flown long with a rifle and short with a shotgun and prefer short.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't think a lock in every hole is as big a thing as its made out to be.

I took a shotgun CHS to Philly. They told me to take my locks off and wrapped the case in tape.

I took a rifle from CHS to Bozeman. The case had 4 locks on it at the gate and arrived to baggage claim with 3.

MOVA

FNG
Flying back out of Denver they'll usually take it to a side room and inspect so that might be a few extra minutes.

You watch from the outside and you may not be able to repack it to your satisfaction.

Just flew out of Denver with a 52” case and as MOVA says, they inspect it in a side room so you may not be able to repack it to your satisfaction. Same with Delta. Also, definitely have a lock in every place on the case that is manufactured to hold a lock. I had to buy two extra at the airport to go in the unreinforced holes of the pelican case.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
TSA will take it aside and open it. They will not be as careful putting everything back. Also some airlines will measure it and may charge extra for oversize baggage, which isn't cheap. Ask me how I know.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
TSA will take it aside and open it. They will not be as careful putting everything back. Also some airlines will measure it and may charge extra for oversize baggage, which isn't cheap. Ask me how I know.
Which airline was that? I called United to verify and they said as long as it was under 50lb they considered it sporting goods and was the same as a checked bag. They also said to use non tsa locks so I am the only one who can open it.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Just flew out of Denver with a 52” case and as MOVA says, they inspect it in a side room so you may not be able to repack it to your satisfaction. Same with Delta. Also, definitely have a lock in every place on the case that is manufactured to hold a lock. I had to buy two extra at the airport to go in the unreinforced holes of the pelican case.
This will be a non-stop flight with United. They said to use non tsa locks and I will make sure to have one for each hole. Do they ask you to come open it or how does that work with non tsa locks?

Flew United two weeks ago out of Denver. They take it to a side room and run it through a scanning machine while you watch. My case had knives, ammo, saw, spotter, trekking poles and all my puffy clothing jammed tight at 49lbs.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Which airline was that? I called United to verify and they said as long as it was under 50lb they considered it sporting goods and was the same as a checked bag. They also said to use non tsa locks so I am the only one who can open it.
Sprit airlines. Once you chose your flight destination and book the flight then they ask if you want a seat with the flight for which they charge extra. Everything on spirit is extra. The last time I flew with guns, TSA wanted the locks unlocked before they took the case. Some Airlines not only charge for over weight bags, but over size bags.

So at these airports they have you unlock thr case and inspect it some where else? In anchorage you unlock it for them and are right next to them when they inspect it then you lock it back up. No one should be able to unlock the case except you.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

United in both Denver and Idaho Falls had you unlock the case just to put the orange slip of paper in it. Locked back up and they didn’t ask for it to be open again. No TSA locks.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Flew United two weeks ago out of Denver. They take it to a side room and run it through a scanning machine while you watch. My case had knives, ammo, saw, spotter, trekking poles and all my puffy clothing jammed tight at 49lbs.
So they just scanned the case didn’t open it? That’s pretty much what I plan on doing.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Sprit airlines. Once you chose your flight destination and book the flight then they ask if you want a seat with the flight for which they charge extra. Everything on spirit is extra. The last time I flew with guns, TSA wanted the locks unlocked before they took the case. Some Airlines not only charge for over weight bags, but over size bags.
Yea that’s what I was afraid of. I called United because overweight/oversized bags are $200 vs $50 for reg. They said as long as it’s under 50lb it falls under their sporting goods policy like skis and stuff and it’s just counted towards your regular checked bag fees. Atleast that’s what they said we’ll find out when I get there if that’s true.

This will be a non-stop flight with United. They said to use non tsa locks and I will make sure to have one for each hole. Do they ask you to come open it or how does that work with non tsa locks?
When you check it, you have to open the case, sign an unloaded declaration form, and place it in the case, then re-lock it. Yes, only you should be able to open the locks to the case.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yea that’s what I was afraid of. I called United because overweight/oversized bags are $200 vs $50 for reg. They said as long as it’s under 50lb it falls under their sporting goods policy like skis and stuff and it’s just counted towards your regular checked bag fees. Atleast that’s what they said we’ll find out when I get there if that’s true.
I was really surprised at the cost, but at that point, I was at ticket counter so it was pay the price or go home. The real kicker was the price for the return trip from Wisconsin was different than the price to get there. I asked how that could, all they said was, maybe someone must have made a mistake. I told them it was me for flying spirit.

MattB

WKR
I've never had my SKB double bowcase or my Badlands Terraglide charged for oversized although both are. A friend gets charged oversize for his Terraglide often, but he is a Masshole. Attitude goes a long way with ticket agents.

Per TSA regs you can use TSA-recognized locks for firearms, although many prefer not to. They can be a time-saver at airports that do not have the TSA baggage screening in a public area. At those airports, when you use non-TSA locks, they may ask you to have around for 15-20 minutes before you go through security in case TSA needs your keys to open your case. My local airport (San Jose) is one of those, so I use the TSA locks for travel now. No problems to date.

Last edited: