Kuiu (Or other) Jacket Recommendations Requested

Hey Team.

I am in the market for a jacket. I am not a guy who wants a pile of chlothing, but rather a guy who wears the crap out of one system. I have a light puffy jacket when I’m sitting, so that is covered. I have two sets of base layers and a Sitka core heavyweight hoody that gets warn nearly every day I am hunting anywhere. I am looking for a jacket that can be quiet enough for bowhunting in September and light to moderate warmth level but I’ll be wearing it while hiking. I have a few other Kuiu items and like them so I’d like to have something from them. My thoughts are:

Kenai Hooded Jacket - seems warmer than the Pelaton 240. Has a chest pocket for my release. Not as durable. - my question on that one is. Would the durability be an issue if I’m not busing through brush all the time? Is the outer shell like the puffy jacket type material or is it a little more durable than that?

Pelaton 240 - slightly less warm, which isn’t much of an issue. No chest pocket which is annoying. More durable.

Strong Fleece 275 - seems warm enough for a jacket. Chest pocket. Not sure on durability.

If anyone has some experience with these can you provide any recommendation on them. Anything else please let me know.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Team.

I am in the market for a jacket. I am not a guy who wants a pile of chlothing, but rather a guy who wears the crap out of one system. I have a light puffy jacket when I’m sitting, so that is covered. I have two sets of base layers and a Sitka core heavyweight hoody that gets warn nearly every day I am hunting anywhere. I am looking for a jacket that can be quiet enough for bowhunting in September and light to moderate warmth level but I’ll be wearing it while hiking. I have a few other Kuiu items and like them so I’d like to have something from them. My thoughts are:

Kenai Hooded Jacket - seems warmer than the Pelaton 240. Has a chest pocket for my release. Not as durable. - my question on that one is. Would the durability be an issue if I’m not busing through brush all the time? Is the outer shell like the puffy jacket type material or is it a little more durable than that?

Pelaton 240 - slightly less warm, which isn’t much of an issue. No chest pocket which is annoying. More durable.

Strong Fleece 275 - seems warm enough for a jacket. Chest pocket. Not sure on durability.

If anyone has some experience with these can you provide any recommendation on them. Anything else please let me know.
Forloh, 100% sourced and made in America -

Men's AllClima Stretch Woven Jacket

Kenai - I don't have the jacket but have piece in the line up. Its more durable than the material they would use on a down jacket but I don't know if I would push bush with it. Seems like it could be fragile. The used to make the Kutana 3dfx or something. it was a kutana shell with the active insulation. This is a good combo of outer layer and bush pushing.

240 - One of my favorite outer layers when the temps drop a bit. Enjoy the piece and would not hesitate to recommended.

Strongfleece - Don't own any so no comment

Geewhiz

WKR
My opinion.

The kenai is made to use as more of an insulation layer and not as much as an outer layer. The fabric is fragile and I would have a hard time wearing it as an outer layer when on the move due to durability purposes. The strong fleece 275 is definately more durable but of course still wouldn't be considered a shell, but just a bit tighter knit of a fabric with a bit more resistance to tears and snags than the kenai, also the strong fleece doesnt breathe as well as the other 2. Out of the 3 I think I would choose the peloton 240 for what it sounds like your purpose is. None of the pieces you mention are in any way water proof or even really water resistant.

Kenai hooded jacket is a favorite active winter insulation piece for me for cross country skiing, shooting sporting clays, going to town, etc in cold weather. Outer fabric is quiet, but is quite thin, not suitable for brush in my opinion.

Peloton 240 hooded jacket is a favorite for fall and spring and isn't near as warm as the Kenai, but is just right for me for a lot of the hunting I do in August and Sept and again spring bear in May, plus upland bird hunting in Oct and Nov. It is adequately durable in the brush in my opinion. Cuts the wind well too and is quiet, or at least the 6 year old camo versions I have are. A more recent (2 or 3 years old?) solid color seems a bit stiffer and noisier...maybe not washed enough times yet? Hood fits bigger too...don't like it as well as the older ones.

No experience with Strong Fleece.

Brijake

FNG
September bow hunts can be really warm and hiking bigger mountains you will get warm quick. I'd keep your base layers and the core heavyweight hoodie if you get cold. Can't get much quieter than that. On the move you will sweat, if your stopped to glass or listen for bugles for extended time, pull out your puffy. I also assume you are wearing a pack, so that will make you sweat even more. September hunts I rarely leave camp with a jacket on, but I'm always staying mobile.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Early, mid, or late season?
Late season, the Fanatic is great. There is, a Fanatic lite and hoodie too but I only have the (late season) Fanatic.
and this is a Sitka based recommendation.

Go with the Kenai jacket. Very versatile and quiet. Breaths well during "active" hunting. Can be used as either an insultation mid-layer or as an outer layer jacket during mild to cool weather. Outer fabric a little more durable than your typical down puffy but I would not be bushwacking through raspberry patches. I have 2 of these jackets, one for hunting and the other in solid color for bumming around town. The Kenai and the Kutana pants are my two favorite pieces of clothing in my hunting arsenal. I do have other clothing brands that I will use for different applications (base layers).

Hey Team.

I wouldn't wear any of those while hiking unless it was extremely cold. Otherwise I'd overheat immediately.

abf1021

FNG
Sitka Mountain Evo Jacket or Traverse Hoodie for light temps. I also have the Stratus, Jetstream and Fanatic. I wouldn't recommend wearing the Fanatic unless you're sitting still or it's really cold. I think Jetstream is my favorite for mid season.

SodakJay

FNG
I have the Kuiu Guide DCS jacket that I’ve worn on a variety of hunts, from spring turkey to fall pheasant to rifle deer hunting. I pair it with a puffy jacket when it’s cold. I don’t bow hunt so I’m not sure if it’s that quiet, but it’s quiet enough for what I do.