Kuiu Icon?

Rizzy

WKR
Anyone use one of the Kuiu packs? Thoughts?

They are on sale right now for what seems to be a very good price, at 120$ I'm considering the Icon 3000 for a spare/backup pack.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That price is for the bag only. The frame is sold seperately.

I have the Icon 6000 and really like the pack's features and especially the suspension. The pivoting hipbelt works very well for me. Durability remains to be seen, but so far so good. It is quite light for its size at 5 pounds.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I see, its more like 420$ for the back then. How does the frame work when its loaded, rigid or does it flex?

I wonder if that pack would fit on a duplex frame with a little modification

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The frame feels very rigid to me, but I haven't had 100 plus pounds in it ... yet.

The pack could probably be modified, but if I had a Duplex, I would just get the timberline bag designed for it.

Spoke with KUIU today. Frames are out of stock. The 40% off is for the remaining in-stock inventory. I know that Randy Ulmer has made it a point to call KUIU and let them know that the Icon is the best pack that HE has used. I have played with a 3000 and a 6000 and felt very comfortable with the carbon frame!!!

Rockchuck

WKR
I got rid of my Icon 6000 because the straps would always slip loose in a matter of minutes under moderate to heavy loads. Also, the hypalon that covers the lower wands was fraying on the seams, which may have been a byproduct of the straps slipping. Loved the layout of the pack though. Ironically, about a month ago, an upgraded set of straps arrived that are thicker and supposedly eliminates the slippage. Problem is the pack is long gone now and I no longer have the purchasers info. So, if anyone has an Icon with original slipping straps, let me know and I can send these ones your way. I too have thought about doing a mod on the Icon bag for the duplex frame. You would definately have to rework the top attachment quite a bit. Or see if kifaru would sell you a precut piece of hypalon they use on the longhunter bags for maybe a quicker mod. Not sure how the thinner straps down the side would work out. It is an intriguing idea though...

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
The lower "legs" on the frame rubbed me badly through the hip belt with anything over 55 lbs. I tried my dad's Icon 6000 and the one I sent back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I think the Duplex frame is superior to the Kuiu frame for heavy loads and agree that getting the timberline it was designed for would ultimately be the best option. However it would be a slick setup for someone on a tight budget to get an Icon on sale and slap it on a Duplex if it could be easily done. Then get the Timberline with next seasons budget if need be.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Rizzy be on the look out for standard longhunter bags as well. I picked one up used from a member here for $160 shipped and no mods needed to make it work. Then you can upgrade to a Timberline like you said when funds allow. Kifaru for sale forum might be a good place to watch as well. Good Luck.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
First Impressions; I prefer my Icon over my standard Timberline. With just my standard camp gear, the Icon feels better to me. The Icon has also impressed me with much more significant loads. I haven't tried a heavy load in the Timberline so I can't comment on that. I have had some issues with the Icon but it's a keeper.

Last edited:

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
If I was to create a Kuiu/Kifaru hybrid it would have a Kifaru hip belt with everything else Icon.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The icon certainly looks interesting, but some of the reports from guides in BC and what not have me worried about the carbon frame failing under heavy loads. Certainly would like to give one a whirl though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Battle nailed it. The hip belt made a hot spot on my lower back. I also thought it was a little unstable with a load. But I do like the overall design.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I kinda like the meat cell and other compartments on the Kuiu, but the flexible frame is what I am unsure of. This may be the reason for the warm spot with the hip belt.

I'm really just speculating/fantasizing on this topic, I'm not in the market for a another pack. I have a KU3700 on order and most likely will use it exclusively. Just can't beat the base weight savings....

slim9300

WKR
I kinda like the meat cell and other compartments on the Kuiu, but the flexible frame is what I am unsure of. This may be the reason for the warm spot with the hip belt.

I'm really just speculating/fantasizing on this topic, I'm not in the market for a another pack. I have a KU3700 on order and most likely will use it exclusively. Just can't beat the base weight savings....

Not for me. The carbon fiber "legs" for the frame are held in place by sliding into holder slots on the hip belt. The hot spots come from these legs pushing through the hip belt and sticking me in my hips. It's brutal with anything over 50 lbs. and I'm not the only one with this problem. BSeals had the same issue amongst others. Kuiu offered to try and build him a custom hip belt to combat the problem but I don't know the result of that. I'm sure they are working on a fix for future packs as we speak.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Not for me. The carbon fiber "legs" for the frame are held in place by sliding into holder slots on the hip belt. The hot spots come from these legs pushing through the hip belt and sticking me in my hips. It's brutal with anything over 50 lbs. and I'm not the only one with this problem. BSeals had the same issue amongst others. Kuiu offered to try and build him a custom hip belt to combat the problem but I don't know the result of that. I'm sure they are working on a fix for future packs as we speak.

I haven't had this problem with my pack, or the slipping strap problem for that matter (I did get and install the new thicker straps though). The Kuiu suspension is extremely comfortable for me, even with heavier loads (still waiting for a super-heavy load).

I think backpacks are kind of like boots. They have to fit your body, and what works for one person may not work for another. I think Kuiu and Kifaru have gone through some effort to design packs that are adjustable, and work with a wide variety of people, but there will always be some that fit better than others.

I had issues with the Icon as well, mostly everything revolving around the design for carrying heavier loads. If you keep it under 50lbs or so it will probably serve most people well.
The issue in my opinion has to do with the full wraparound hipbelt, and the carbon frame sheet. Personally, I think that KUIU is rediscovering some of the failures of the 80's.

slim9300

WKR
I haven't had this problem with my pack, or the slipping strap problem for that matter (I did get and install the new thicker straps though). The Kuiu suspension is extremely comfortable for me, even with heavier loads (still waiting for a super-heavy load).

I think backpacks are kind of like boots. They have to fit your body, and what works for one person may not work for another. I think Kuiu and Kifaru have gone through some effort to design packs that are adjustable, and work with a wide variety of people, but there will always be some that fit better than others.

I agree. My dad loves his Icon 6000. However he hasn't carried more than 60 lbs. with it yet.

On a side note. I really need to get him that thicker webbing. Can it be installed without being sewed on? I can't even remember how the straps attach. :)