Kuiu Icon?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. My dad loves his Icon 6000. However he hasn't carried more than 60 lbs. with it yet.

On a side note. I really need to get him that thicker webbing. Can it be installed without being sewed on? I can't even remember how the straps attach. :)

Yeah, you just undo the straps from the tighteners, pop them out of the frame, and reverse the process with the new ones. It took me like two minutes, and I'm pretty slow with that stuff. :(

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. My dad loves his Icon 6000. However he hasn't carried more than 60 lbs. with it yet.

On a side note. I really need to get him that thicker webbing. Can it be installed without being sewed on? I can't even remember how the straps attach. :)

Yes, they simply slide in. Except the top strap, it is sewn in, atleast on the 3000. There is no replacing that one.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I had issues with the Icon as well, mostly everything revolving around the design for carrying heavier loads. If you keep it under 50lbs or so it will probably serve most people well.
The issue in my opinion has to do with the full wraparound hipbelt, and the carbon frame sheet. Personally, I think that KUIU is rediscovering some of the failures of the 80's.

By tightening the stabilizer straps to the waistbelt, I think the pack is quite stable. It is much more stable than the Eberlestock I used to use. I haven't used my Kifaru enough to truly compare stability. What really impresses me with the Icon is that I can have 45, 50 lbs in it without it putting any real pressure on my shoulders in any direction; pulling back or down pressure. Like others have said; the pack just has to fit you and the Icon fits me well.

By tightening the stabilizer straps to the waistbelt, I think the pack is quite stable. It is much more stable than the Eberlestock I used to use. I haven't used my Kifaru enough to truly compare stability. What really impresses me with the Icon is that I can have 45, 50 lbs in it without it putting any real pressure on my shoulders in any direction; pulling back or down pressure. Like others have said; the pack just has to fit you and the Icon fits me well.

The stabilizer straps aka magic wands (dana internals/externals) were a much needed touch on this design for side to side stability especially with the full wraparound hip belt. The issues show up with heavier loads due to the center pivot design and riser like bump for a lumbar ala the Arcteryx Altra.
This pack reminds me a lot of The North Face Back Magic pack from the late 70's or early 80's....getting too old to remember.
I agree fit is extremely important in a pack.

slim9300

WKR
These packs won't fit a short torso either. 17 inch torso or shorter, look for another pack.

That's right. I'm a 21" torso and I preferred it maxed out all the way down (ie. the shortest torso setting) to give me the most possible lift and put the hip belt buckle centered over my belly button.

I used the Icon 6000 and Icon 3000 exclusively last year from June through November. I found that the packs fit me good. Keep in mind i never had more than 60lbs. in either bag. I really liked the layout of each bag; they were designed good and made it easy to organize my gear. Check out the review that Aron wrote up in the backpack section, here is the link: http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/backpacks/118-kuiu-icon

-Dan

Also I made a few custom mods to the pack which made it better. I used some webbing from a army surplus to help with the slipping straps. I was unaware that you could get new ones from Kuiu.