Kuiu and Sitka mid layer rough equivalents

Hey guys, looking for a little help understanding a few specific pieces.

I am trying to figure out the naming configuration for kuiu, and comparing it to some of the sitka that I already have.

I have a sitka heavyweight hoody, and I am wondering which kuiu pieces would be roughly equivalent, or slightly less warm (to wear for higher activity)

As I look to tinker and build my kit, I am looking at adding a sitka mid weight zip t, or a kuiu peloton 200 or strongfleece 210 quarter zip (what is the deal with the strongfleece???) With no experience on those two particular pieces, and not really understanding the differences and similarities I am not sure which ones would be a better comparison to the sitka midweight and which ones would be comparable to the sitka heavyweight.

Also looking at the pro merino 200 vs the apex hoody. Again, not entirely sure how they compare.

I searched a lot, but came back with no direct comparisons.

My current thoughts-
Sitka core mdiweight =peloton 200 or maybe strongfleece 210

Sitka Heavyweight hoody = kuiu peloton 240 or maybe the 260 strongfleece?

Apex hooy = pro merino 200....

Am I close or am I way off?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re pretty close. There’s really no direct comparison between the two of any products. That’s also the beauty of it because you can really fine tune features for your liking.

Strong fleece was sort of their answer for a stronger fabric ( kuiu shirts aren’t known for being durable). Plus it’s mapped on the back to minimize over heating/sweaty back with a pack on.

Bump79

WKR
I'd say the closest comparison is more like the Peloton 200 to a Sitka Heavyweight. The Strongfleece 210 might be a good peice. The Kuiu Peloton 200 is my favorite it just seems to fit in my system on nearly every hunt.

Essentially the Strongfleece series is tighter weave making it bead water a little and be more snag resistant. Also, it sacrifices some breathability for a hair of wind resistance. pretty much just put them into the softshell category. Better if you're looking for less of a mid layer and if you looking for a outer layer in moderate conditions.

OP
E
You’re pretty close. There’s really no direct comparison between the two of any products. That’s also the beauty of it because you can really fine tune features for your liking.

Strong fleece was sort of their answer for a stronger fabric ( kuiu shirts aren’t known for being durable). Plus it’s mapped on the back to minimize over heating/sweaty back with a pack on.

Do you happen to own a strongfleece? If so, do you like it and how often do you use it?

OP
E
I'd say the closest comparison is more like the Peloton 200 to a Sitka Heavyweight. The Strongfleece 210 might be a good peice. The Kuiu Peloton 200 is my favorite it just seems to fit in my system on nearly every hunt.

Essentially the Strongfleece series is tighter weave making it bead water a little and be more snag resistant. Also, it sacrifices some breathability for a hair of wind resistance. pretty much just put them into the softshell category. Better if you're looking for less of a mid layer and if you looking for a outer layer in moderate conditions.
Would you say that the 210 would be slightly warmer than the 200?

Do you happen to own a strongfleece? If so, do you like it and how often do you use it?
I own the Strongfleece 210 and it's definitely one of my favorite pieces for West Texas. It doesn't get super cold usually, maybe into the 30's late season but it can be windy. I typically just wear a merino later hiking around and throw on the 210 after sitting for a bit to cool off then after sunset I can wear it hiking back out. It's very comfortable and fits me well, seems to be pretty versatile. My use is more as an outer layer but I've thrown a lightweight Kutana over it as well just because that's what I happened to have at the time. I bought the heavier Strongfleece zips for both of my older sons and those are really nice so I'll likely pick one of those up for myself next time I sniff out a sale.

OP
E
I own the Strongfleece 210 and it's definitely one of my favorite pieces for West Texas. It doesn't get super cold usually, maybe into the 30's late season but it can be windy. I typically just wear a merino later hiking around and throw on the 210 after sitting for a bit to cool off then after sunset I can wear it hiking back out. It's very comfortable and fits me well, seems to be pretty versatile. My use is more as an outer layer but I've thrown a lightweight Kutana over it as well just because that's what I happened to have at the time. I bought the heavier Strongfleece zips for both of my older sons and those are really nice so I'll likely pick one of those up for myself next time I sniff out a sale.
Do you have anything you'd compare it to? How does it stack up against something like the sitka heavyweight or the peloton 200?

jd1006

WKR
The 210 is thin. It’s a tighter weave than the Sitka HW. It’s designed more as a backpacking layer with durability and dry time as the main focus. I wear it with a vest, often; doesn’t snag like the softer fleece hoodies can. I don’t have the 200 yet, but that’s supposedly similar to the sitka hw. The peloton 97/200 appear to be only baselayers; the fleece face gets pulls easily.

The peloton 240 has no similar piece in the sitka line. It’s a must have, in my opinion. It’s a midlayer that can be used as an outerlayer, dries very fast, and is very lightweight. The peloton 97 has no similar piece. It’s fantastic baselayer for anything below 40 degrees. Weighs nothing. Fastest drying piece I have.

On the merino side, the Sitka Apex isn’t comparable to anything. Very specific piece of clothing. The pro merino from kuiu is their attempt to make a fast drying merino piece that has some weight. I didn’t care for it. The Apex is an outerlayer first.

OP
E
The 210 is thin. It’s a tighter weave than the Sitka HW. It’s designed more as a backpacking layer with durability and dry time as the main focus. I wear it with a vest, often; doesn’t snag like the softer fleece hoodies can. I don’t have the 200 yet, but that’s supposedly similar to the sitka hw. The peloton 97/200 appear to be only baselayers; the fleece face gets pulls easily.

The peloton 240 has no similar piece in the sitka line. It’s a must have, in my opinion. It’s a midlayer that can be used as an outerlayer, dries very fast, and is very lightweight. The peloton 97 has no similar piece. It’s fantastic baselayer for anything below 40 degrees. Weighs nothing. Fastest drying piece I have.

On the merino side, the Sitka Apex isn’t comparable to anything. Very specific piece of clothing. The pro merino from kuiu is their attempt to make a fast drying merino piece that has some weight. I didn’t care for it. The Apex is an outerlayer first.
This is incredibly helpful! Thank you. I really appreciate your experience with each of these pieces.

What didn't you care for about the pro merino?

Do you have any experience with the sitka core midweight? Would that be a similar weight to the 210 strongfleece?

jd1006

WKR
I didn’t like the blend of the pro merino. Not enough merino to cut down the stink, for me. Might work for others, just didn’t work for me.

I don’t have the midweight from sitka, but that certainly is what I’d describe the strongfleece 210.

OP
E
I didn’t like the blend of the pro merino. Not enough merino to cut down the stink, for me. Might work for others, just didn’t work for me.

I don’t have the midweight from sitka, but that certainly is what I’d describe the strongfleece 210.
With the pro merino, did you find that piece to be more or less breathable than something like the strongfleece 210? How breathable is the 210 I guess would be my next question

With the pro merino, did you find that piece to be more or less breathable than something like the strongfleece 210? How breathable is the 210 I guess would be my next question
Think of the 210 as sort of a light softshell, kinda. I rode my mountain bike out 1.2 miles after dark wearing the 210 over a Merino 145 in West Texas this last year. I was sweaty but I wasn't drenched. I don't have any Pro merino pieces, but the merino will be way more breathable than the 210.

OP
E
Think of the 210 as sort of a light softshell, kinda. I rode my mountain bike out 1.2 miles after dark wearing the 210 over a Merino 145 in West Texas this last year. I was sweaty but I wasn't drenched. I don't have any Pro merino pieces, but the merino will be way more breathable than the 210.
Sounds like the 210 would make for a killer e early season whitetail layer, same for turkeys (other than this year where it was 20 degrees and snowing) where I don't need a ton of extra insulation but just something to throw on. Thoughts?

Sounds like the 210 would make for a killer e early season whitetail layer, same for turkeys (other than this year where it was 20 degrees and snowing) where I don't need a ton of extra insulation but just something to throw on. Thoughts?

I'd think so, it's probably one of my top 3 pieces of all my clothing and I own a lot of the big 3 brands. I was pretty surprised how versatile it was, only wish it was a full zip because for my situation in West Texas I hunt in a t-shirt or Gila hoody until the sun starts getting low, then the temp drops rapidly and the wind will start cutting through stuff so I'll put it on then. I used it out there pretty much all November through January and it got used every hunt. I haven't worked it into Western hunting yet as I got it after our Wyoming hunt but I'm sure it'll find it's way into the system this coming year.

OP
E
I'd think so, it's probably one of my top 3 pieces of all my clothing and I own a lot of the big 3 brands. I was pretty surprised how versatile it was, only wish it was a full zip because for my situation in West Texas I hunt in a t-shirt or Gila hoody until the sun starts getting low, then the temp drops rapidly and the wind will start cutting through stuff so I'll put it on then. I used it out there pretty much all November through January and it got used every hunt. I haven't worked it into Western hunting yet as I got it after our Wyoming hunt but I'm sure it'll find it's way into the system this coming year.
Sounds like a useful piece for sure! Do you ever wish it had a hood?

OP
E
OK, here is a question for you guys....
If you had to give the 3 must haves from kuiu and Sitka ( I should include FL) what would they be?

OK, here is a question for you guys....
If you had to give the 3 must haves from kuiu and Sitka ( I should include FL) what would they be?
Must Haves
Pants: Kutana are the best all around pants that I’ve seen.
Mid-Layer: StronngFleece 210 if you don’t want a hood or StrongFleece 260 if you want a hood.

Honorable Mention: Peloton 240 for a wind resistant layer. Get the hooded one as cold air blowing down your neck sucks.

OP
E
Must Haves
Pants: Kutana are the best all around pants that I’ve seen.
Mid-Layer: StronngFleece 210 if you don’t want a hood or StrongFleece 260 if you want a hood.

Honorable Mention: Peloton 240 for a wind resistant layer. Get the hooded one as cold air blowing down your neck sucks.
Is the 210 the same material as the 260?

Kuius naming convention for their tops has me all messed up.

Is the 210 the same material as the 260?

Kuius naming convention for their tops has me all messed up.
Yes but different weights. I have the 260 and it goes everywhere with me (AZ to AK).

But I will likely grab the 210 solely for the no hood. Can be a PITA layering too many pieces with hoods.

260 will give a greater temperature range of coverage than the 210. Not a fan of buying multiple pieces for incremental coverage (guilty I have multiple pieces).