Kowa TSN-554 lense cleaning

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone take the eyepiece off this spotter and clean the inner lense? I have bits of debris when looking through the spotter that's not on the front lense or eyepiece. I did email kowa but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
This is a delicate question, pun intended.

Yes, I would take the eye cups off and rinse under gently running luke warm water. Once you’re sure you’ve rinse off any debris, you can rub the lens with your finger and a little dish soap if needed. Final rinse with distilled water. Dry with compressed air (gently). Clean/new microfiber cloth to finish if you feel compelled to chase down little water spots.

I have a 554 and an 884.

I’d be interested to hear what Kowa recommends.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good, thanks. Im a little hesitant because i haven't been able to find any videos or posts about removing the eyepiece to get to the internals. I figured it would have been sealed off a little better.

Antares

WKR
It’s no big deal, just lefty loosey. You’re not getting at the internals; it’s all sealed and waterproof, but removing the eye cup makes it easier to clean the ocular lens.

IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3826.jpeg

Antares

WKR
Sounds good, thanks. Im a little hesitant because i haven't been able to find any videos or posts about removing the eyepiece to get to the internals. I figured it would have been sealed off a little better.

Apologies, I was obviously not reading your post very carefully. As @gr8fuldoug said, the 554 eyepiece is not removable. I was reading too fast and thought we we're talking about the eye cup.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Apologies, I was obviously not reading your post very carefully. As @gr8fuldoug said, the 554 eyepiece is not removable. I was reading too fast and thought we we're talking about the eye cup.
That's alright, ill take a closer look at the lenses tomorrow and give them a better clean. Still waiting to hear from kowa.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa recommends I send it in to get looked at. The photo attached sucks but you might be able to see what I'm talking about. Right above the box of the pickup. There's half a dozen black marks like that on the right side and a few on the upper left with 1 being of decent size. I only realize it the farther I'm zoomed out.
d32d92e01b8d41ca57a43584a51532ce.jpg