Kowa 773 vs Swaro 65 ATS update review

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Just a size comparison between the 55 and 77.

View attachment 312820
That right there tells me both are good to have. My hunting style right now is having a base camp using my truck to get to an area then hiking at most 2 miles in somewhere and hunting. To me the 77 can do this. Where that 55 would be huge for backpack hunting or even the guy or gal who only uses a spotter to verify and never uses it to scan with. Those types ahould absolutely go with the 55, price, image and weight alone. Thanks for sharing that, nice setup!

tdhanses

WKR
I want to say with the cover my 55 is around 35oz maybe less, guess I should weigh it. But it’s half the bulk.

fatrascal

WKR
Very good and fair write up. I also owne the kowa 55 except in 553 angled. I personally feel like it is not as good optically as a swaro ats 65 but its good enough to leave the swaro at home if you are trying to cut weight which is why I got it. But I love to digiscope and find myself still using the swaro. Fatrascal.

BSimmons

FNG
I've owned the ATS 65 and the Kowa. I agree that it is a fair comparison for the reasons you mentioned (cost, size, weight are all close enough). I had the 20-60 eyepiece on the Swaro and always felt like I was losing a lot of brightness after 45x. This may not be much of an issue with the newer eyepiece. It would be fun to try it again.

Thanks for the review

tdhanses

WKR
curious if the 77 is durable enough to toss in the pack without a case?
It is, you may get scuffs and scratches on the housing since it doesn’t have a rubber coating but it is very durable. Some wrap it in vet tape which weighs nothing to keep from getting scratches and scuffs.