Kowa 55 vs 66 for backpack/ truck spotter

I'm looking to get a new spotter, I had a Vortex 16-48x 65mm. It was only functional to my eyes up to 40X at distances I was glassing at. I've been looking at the Kowa 65mm that goes up to 60X.

I have Maven 18Xs that I glass with A LOT and I like them a lot. 90% of the time my spotter is not taken on backpack hunts and mainly used on glassing missions, whether from the truck or dayhunts focused on glassing (versus hunting).

Is the Kowa 55mm that goes up to 40X a functional do-all spotter? If it's useable up to 40X, then I guess I can see as far as my Vortex, and it's lighter. But I'm leaning towards getting the 65mm so I can have the farther reach and since I use it primarily from my truck / day hunts / scouting.

Anyone feel that the Kowa 55 can be the only spotter you need?

huntnful

WKR
Just get the bigger spotter, especially in the circumstances you described using it in. You'll never wish you had less light gathering or less ability to combat environmental distortion.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I may add a 3rd option....Approx the same size and weight as what you have you can get into the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x68 Spotting Scope
Most mid sized spotters are 15-45x65's or there abouts, however, the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x68 Spotting Scope stands out. It's the same size and weight of most mid sized 15-45x65's but gives you 20-60x magnification. It also features a 2 touch focus system to make sure your critical focus is sharp. The difference between the low end of 15x vs 20x will never even come into use, however, the significant difference between 45x and 60x is astounding. There are many options in mid-sized sub $1,000 spotters, however, the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x68 Spotting Scope is an excellent all around full featured spotter, and in this price range we do not feel you'll find a better option.
Extra-Low Dispersion Glass For Optimum Clarity
Dielectric Coatings Designed To Increase Light Reflectivity
Fully Multi-Coated Optics To Produce Sharp Images
Close Focus - See Detail From 16.4ft/5m
BAK-4 Porro Prisms For Intense Colour And Contrast
Dual Focus Knob To Achieve Ultra Fine Focusing
Body Rotation For Viewing In Virtually Any Position
Stay-On Soft Scope Cover For Maximum Protection
Twist-Up Eye Cup And Pull Out Sunshade
Digi-Scope Compatible For Use With Your Camera
Nitrogen purged. Waterproof. Fog proof
Hawke No-Fault Lifetime Warranty
Objective Lens 68mm
Magnification 20 - 60x
Optical System System H5
Field of View (°) 2.1 - 1.1
Eye Relief 0.8in
Exit Pupil 0.13 - 0.04″
Field of View 108 - 60ft @1000yds
Close Focus 16.4ft
Prism Type Porro
Prism Glass BAK 4
Prism Coating Dielectric Coating
Tripod Mounting Thread Yes (¼" - 20 UNC)
Eye Cup Twist-Up
Length 15.9in
Weight 52.7oz

Add To Cart For Special Pricing