Koplin atv gun scabbards any good?

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I am deciding to buy a quad for hunting. Not off trail stuff but just to trailheads to keep tear off of truck. I am debating on using a koplin gun scabbard that attaches to the quad or going with my good hardcase just strapped to the rack. Does anyone run the koplin? Does it keep your rifle tight so its not banging around etc? And are they pretty waterproof? I have a nice rifle with a 50 objective scope and just want to make the right decision. Roads can get bumpy etc so want it secured well even if means doing something else. I also don't intend to hunt from the quad either but want whatever is easiest on space and security.
Thanks everyone.

I have an older Koplin. I never used it because my rifle seemed like it would rattle around in there. Maybe the newer ones are better idk. I just strap a hard case across the front rack with bungies. That has worked for me but can cause width issues if your in brush.

Hope that helps.

I put one on my atv when Colorado changed their laws that all rifles have to be stowed inside a case while riding an atv on forest service/public roads etc. I have mixed reviews on it:

Pros:
- very water resistant (I would even say waterproof but I don't want to mislead you. Not enough experience with it to say one way or the other).
- i think it prevents more rattling around than a gun case strapped to the racks
- its parallel to the atv instead of perpendicular like a case on the racks which makes it easier to maneuver tight trails
- if someone wants to steal it they might as well steal the atv. It would be quicker.

Cons:
- if you have a long barreled rifle or a tactical style exposed turret scope it very well may not fit at all inside the hard case. Mine was a very very tight fit with a 26" 300 winmag.
- it's an absolute must to get the soft case that goes inside of the hard case (doesn't have to be kolpin's but you need one for sure) otherwise your rifle will be rattled to death.
- i mounted mine with likely to aggressive of a forward pitch down so my muzzle took all of the bumps and over a weeks time wore off the cerakote. So you need to mount it more horizontal so the stock takes the bounces not the barrel. But this leads to inability of getting on and off the atv from the side the case is mounted on.

Since my first trip with it on, I have abandoned using it when I hunt my families ranch because I know the trails and road systems and it's not a far ride, less than a mile to anywhere I would hunt. I just use my hard rifle case. If I was driving further distances, had a rifle that fit better inside it then I would definitely use the Kolpin. It's a great product set up for that type of hunting/driving/distances.

SWOHTR

WKR
I had one and thought it was absolute shit. Knock the shit out of your rifle moving back and forth, especially if you get onto any sort of windrows.

0 of 10 stars from me. If you threw your rifle off a cliff it would sustain less damage than a ride in one of those cheap pieces of shit.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I had one and thought it was absolute shit. Knock the shit out of your rifle moving back and forth, especially if you get onto any sort of windrows.

0 of 10 stars from me. If you threw your rifle off a cliff it would sustain less damage than a ride in one of those cheap pieces of shit.
I have always said take the worst review and even if its not half as bad then still believe it. Haha. Im probably going to strap my hardcase on the front rack. I aporeciate it. Having a 3000.00 rifle / scope setup doesnt sound like id want it in anything that will screw it up. Thanks

BCsteve

WKR
I had an older one the Kolpin IV. I've upgraded to the newer Kolpin Stronghold. Way better system. Stronger and less ratlly mount, easier to access and better padding.

WCB

WKR
Know a guy that had one. Another buddies kid borrowed his wheeler and rolled it. Gun did not take it too well. Scabbard was destroyed. I vote GOOD hard case on front or back. If you don't care about access...ratchet strap it should have zero problems with movement

I got two older ones on two different atvs with different mounts on each. They both work great. Its very muddy where I hunt and they keep my guns mud free and protected. I used to use them for my gun case but these days they stay on the atvs.
the inside sleeves can be a bit of a pain as they pull out after the velcro goes to heck but no big deal really. Beats cleaning mud off my rifles. The one that goes into the plastic sleeve mount does rattle but I found it was the pin clasp that was rattling. It doesn't rattle any noisier than the atv engine is no big deal. I wouldn't want to be without them were I hunt. A few guys have bought their own after seeing mine.

Wrench

WKR
I have one and use it on my TW200. It is ok at best. I prefer the trailmax. It fits more configurations better and is multi purpose

I have one and use it on my TW200. It is ok at best. I prefer the trailmax. It fits more configurations better and is multi purpose

Hey Wrench! I’m a little late to the discussion but I have a TW200 and want to carry my shotgun on it while hunting on private land (large tree farm).

Do you mount the TrailMax Scabbard to the TW200 or sling it on your back?

If you mount it or strap it to the TW, would you mind sharing how you do it?

Thanks!

I had one back when I used a quad, it worked pretty good for the money. Never had an issue with mud or water getting in. I just stuffed a microfiber towel on each side of it to keep it from banging around side to side inside the case. If you care about the blueing on the end of your barrel wrap the end with a piece of electrical tape. Mine was already worn but my buddies have done that with their new guns to keep them nicer for awhile.

I have a kolpin gun boot 6 which I had mounted to a coleman rt200. It worked fine but I did need to stuff a rag down the barrel side as the gun “sock” (really just a neoprene sleeve) started wearing through with the barrel beating it to death. The bike was just too small so I upgraded to a TW200. I think I would prefer a soft sided, water /mud proof case/scabbard that can attach to the bike but I am struggling to find a good way to mount it. The gun boot mounts well to a tubed rack but strapping a soft scabbard/case seems like a better way, as long as I can find good locations to lash it too. I’m wondering if wrench found those good lashing locations for the trailmax scabbard….

Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
Hey Wrench! I’m a little late to the discussion but I have a TW200 and want to carry my shotgun on it while hunting on private land (large tree farm).

Do you mount the TrailMax Scabbard to the TW200 or sling it on your back?

If you mount it or strap it to the TW, would you mind sharing how you do it?

Thanks!
I just sold my TW, but this is how I hauled a rifle on it.20200905_080309.jpg20200905_080300.jpg