Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt call 3 species "alot". Heaven for bid a states fish and game agency is trying to get ahead of a possible problem before it starts.

and yes residents should be able to take more animals then non residents, i am sure you feel the same in your state.

blame it on all the out of state hunt planners and you tubers, they are the ones who are prostituting out these hunts in alaska. If you havent yet, you should listen to the recent hunt quietly podcast that had larry bartlett on it.
I think it is 4 and just about half. I think most of lower 48 residents and non resident can take same #s of animals per state for most part if drawn. Why limit just NR. If it’s s problem shouldn’t residents see some tags cut also for same areas?

If prices where where they were 4 or 5 years ago I’m sure you would hear less complaints from NR with this change but what was around $2,200 for a transport on Kodiak is now $4,500+. With all the other increases like airfare and weather concerns, etc….it’s hard to justify the cost for hunt now for one deer. I like 2 tag option and take first mature buck and look for giant with 2nd tag.

Where you use to be able to hunt over the counter tags or get leftover tags is almost non existent like you mentioned.

Antares

WKR
Why limit just NR.

Because increasing NR harvest is the issue being discussed.

If prices where where they were 4 or 5 years ago I’m sure you would hear less complaints from NR with this change but what was around $2,200 for a transport on Kodiak is now $4,500+. With all the other increases like airfare and weather concerns, etc….it’s hard to justify the cost for hunt now for one deer. I like 2 tag option and take first mature buck and look for giant with 2nd tag.

There is no regulatory requirement to use a transporter. It's a choice.

fmyth

WKR
I found it pretty gross that larsen bay lodge and the hunters who hunt through them donate hundreds of pounds of meat. Only reason i call out larsen bay lodge specifically is because it was in one of the comments. i am not sure why people donate meat maybe its out of the goodness of their heart....or it could be that they dont want to pay the extra baggage for meat. If you shoot something you should be responsible for taking it all home. I dont see it any different then all the bone heads that dip net too many salmon and they try to give all their leftover reds from last year to people with sled dogs.
and thats just like my opinion man

anyways SE will be the next kodiak i am sure, once all the instaheros start going there and show all the ways to get into animals and explain all the logistics to the people who worship them.

I'd like to offer you a different perspective. I just returned from spending 8 days in Larsen Bay at my friends place. In my opinion a large percentage of the 44 year round residents of this remote location are living a pretty thin existence. These folks pay 98 cents a pound to have their groceries flown in by Island Air. Groceries that are already "Kodiak Island" expensive. Any hunter that takes time off work, flies thousands of miles to Larsen Bay, spends $1,000 a night to stay at the lodge to hunt deer and then donates the meat to locals in need is extremely generous. After spending 10k for the week long trip I doubt that the $100 AK Airlines charges for that 3rd plus checked bag (up to 100lbs) would influence their decision.

I took this pic last week in Larsen Bay. The people standing between our pile of luggage and the plane are Larsen Bay locals picking up their groceries and supplies that were flown from Kodiak to Larsen Bay. They order by phone or online, pay a cab driver to pick them up at the store and deliver them to Island Air and then pay Island Air 98 cents a pound to fly them to Larsen Bay. I don't think any of the locals I met would turn down some donated meat/fish.

Attachments

• 348378377_158630947197474_4559835711972767405_n.jpg
    348378377_158630947197474_4559835711972767405_n.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 38

Antares

WKR
I'd like to offer you a different perspective. I just returned from spending 8 days in Larsen Bay at my friends place. In my opinion a large percentage of the 44 year round residents of this remote location are living a pretty thin existence. These folks pay 98 cents a pound to have their groceries flown in by Island Air. Groceries that are already "Kodiak Island" expensive. Any hunter that takes time off work, flies thousands of miles to Larsen Bay, spends $1,000 a night to stay at the lodge to hunt deer and then donates the meat to locals in need is extremely generous. After spending 10k for the week long trip I doubt that the $100 AK Airlines charges for that 3rd plus checked bag (up to 100lbs) would influence their decision.

I took this pic last week in Larsen Bay. The people standing between our pile of luggage and the plane are Larsen Bay locals picking up their groceries and supplies that were flown from Kodiak to Larsen Bay. They order by phone or online, pay a cab driver to pick them up at the store and deliver them to Island Air and then pay Island Air 98 cents a pound to fly them to Larsen Bay. I don't think any of the locals I met would turn down some donated meat/fish.

Larsen Bay residents would prefer good hunting over handouts.

I am very aware of how much things cost in the villages, being a surveyor i have been to more then enough villages to know the costs and logistics that go into being there.

Of course no one is going to turn down donated meat, but i have a hard time believing that people are donating meat out of the goodness of the heart but keep the rack/hide for a mount to display in there house. Thats just my opinion and not trying to get anyone to jump on my band wagon.

And the prices of these boat trips.....its just supply and demand. More people want to go use their services, they will raise the prices until people start to drop off.

whats the 4th species? Brown/Grizzly, Goats and Sheep? Atleast thats what listed on the FnG website.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
is the reference to musk ox above stating they are lumped into goat, sheep, and brownies for guide requirements for non-residents?

Clarktar

WKR
I found the first 45 minutes of this very interesting and pieces of it are related to the Kodiak Deer rule change (and other recent changes to big game rules in AK).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've heard people assume muskox is included in the "three or four" debate for non-resident species requiring a guide. But since a non-resident would not likely hunt muskox without at least a native outfitter/guide where allowed, i can see where it might be thought of as a guide-required species in AK. It's not technically, there are just the three species brown/griz, goat and sheep.

Oregon

WKR
I found it pretty gross that larsen bay lodge and the hunters who hunt through them donate hundreds of pounds of meat. Only reason i call out larsen bay lodge specifically is because it was in one of the comments. i am not sure why people donate meat maybe its out of the goodness of their heart....or it could be that they dont want to pay the extra baggage for meat. If you shoot something you should be responsible for taking it all home.
Should be zero reason to go to Africa NZ Russia or anywhere to hunt except the USA.
A boned out Sitka yields 50-60#s meat.
I've donated quite a few sitkas to locals in Larsen Bay. I always flew home 100#s in wax boxes.
With that logic, a guy shouldn't hunt critters unless his freezer is absolutely empty. If I kill an elk, then fly to Kodiak and shoot 3 deer, how long will it take my wife and I to eat it all?? 2 years. Yes 2 years. Eat a pound every single day and it's roughly 400 days.
I fish for a living, so I have to eat fish and crab. So every other day for game now equals 800 days. Wait, I shoot a lot of ducks and geese. Got to eat them.
Dang quail and chukar. Eat them. How bout the local blacktails or mulies, got to eat them.

I hunt for meat. I'm good at it. Zero goes to waste. If a local wants it. Awesome

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the hat tip, Clarktar. I like Hunt Quietly's ideals and I like the fact that they promote businesses like mine who don't have $100,000 marketing campaigns. I'm grateful to have a voice and I don't intend to waste anyone's time with bullshit.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So one question for the Kodiak NR hunters who got spanked by this change...why not scratch Kodiak and go elsewhere within the state? I mean, I've killed 10X more deer off kodiak island than on it. Prices for charters into some sick ass Tongass NF is still very affordable and very generous to NR. Just curious.

There's not much left to say on this thread, except for personal opinions which are usually cheap AF. However...IMO, the BOG decision was legit because they are the elected authority to be the hand that deals with situations like this, which was just plain irresponsibly growing without self limits, and HF or any other joeplanner who is and plans to continue operating at full throttle to maximize profitability over discretion when commercially managing a positive kill-rate business, "some thing" has to be the hand that stops that shit immediately. The higher the kill rate the greater the marketability...perpetuating more clients = greater profitability. These two philosophies are oil and water / bone on bone bad for the species because it lacks the conservation/preservation-ethics required for sustainability. What resource is here now must be here in 100 years lest we are doing something wrong. This action by the BOG is a teaching lesson to us all that hunters must be more discreet than we have become because (despite no biological threat to deer) locals don't like crowded space and have learned to use the system as their voice.

If your where-to plans unravel, chart a new course and execute the same on-the-ground plan as before at a new destination.

Antares

WKR
Should be zero reason to go to Africa NZ Russia or anywhere to hunt except the USA.
A boned out Sitka yields 50-60#s meat.
I've donated quite a few sitkas to locals in Larsen Bay. I always flew home 100#s in wax boxes.
With that logic, a guy shouldn't hunt critters unless his freezer is absolutely empty. If I kill an elk, then fly to Kodiak and shoot 3 deer, how long will it take my wife and I to eat it all?? 2 years. Yes 2 years. Eat a pound every single day and it's roughly 400 days.
I fish for a living, so I have to eat fish and crab. So every other day for game now equals 800 days. Wait, I shoot a lot of ducks and geese. Got to eat them.
Dang quail and chukar. Eat them. How bout the local blacktails or mulies, got to eat them.

I hunt for meat. I'm good at it. Zero goes to waste. If a local wants it. Awesome

What’s your point?

Oregon

WKR
What’s your point?
Point is: the guy I quoted thought it was wrong to go hunt if you couldn't fly your meat home.
He actually stated "it's gross for people to donate meat" then he stated "if you shoot something, you should be responsible for taking it home"
My point is a guy should never hunt outside the US because no one is bringing meat home.
Reading comprehension must be difficult for you????

Point is: the guy I quoted thought it was wrong to go hunt if you couldn't fly your meat home.
He actually stated "it's gross for people to donate meat" then he stated "if you shoot something, you should be responsible for taking it home"
My point is a guy should never hunt outside the US because no one is bringing meat home.
Reading comprehension must be difficult for you????
It's not that they can't bring it home, it's that they dont want to.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cubguy

FNG
If you would like to hunt blacktail deer this November and be able to shoot more than one send me a PM. There is some openings on the boat I’m on. Serious inquiries only.

Status
Not open for further replies.